• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 9 : Reds v Highlanders

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Paisami has been in near career best form all year. He’s copped some flack of late seemingly because he wasn’t creating anything for his team mates.

Well he did this last night. Was fantastic.

Kudos the replacements too. Bryant was great. But thought the scrumhalf combo were excellent too.
I was one giving him so flak - very pleased to see I was wrong.

When he’s backing himself in a playmaker role, distributes well, and offers deft kicks (which we saw a lot more of in 20/21 seasons), it really opens things up. Absolute star when he’s playing like this.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
On the crowd - I was watching the broadcast without sound, but noticed several lingering shots of members in the crowd.

Seemed like an intentional decision from the broadcast team to drum up a bit more fan engagement?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Good win for the Reds last night. I like how they went narrow and tighter in the first 20 minutes to test the defence and get some continuity in their game. A few of the pigs were quite prominent in what our old friend Lee Grant would call the tight loose. When things got a bit static I didn't mind Lynagh kicking for the corner either.

Hunter was excellent I thought, his game has grown considerably and he's not just a crash baller. There was some real skill in his play as well.

The defence was also outstanding, like it was against the Chiefs. I liked the flooding of the breakdown too, but that's always been a personal preference of mine.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
You realise the Lancaster bomber is G for George, from Australia's most famous RAAF squadron, 460.
460 is based in Canberra and the Lanc is on display at the Australian War Memorial...in Canberra.
I get that, that’s not the point though. It’s the scale and position of the design that’s lacking, there’s enough military inspiration in Canberra to better represent the cause that doesn’t disappear when players tuck their shirts in.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Reg, I reckon Werchon (despite the haircut) played better than Thomas. Was much faster to the breakdown and seems to be a stronger defender. Would you agree?

I thought they were both decent, Thomas has some traits which make him a bit enigmatic to watch, lots of animated of throwing arms around and expressional dance in reacting to ref decisions and teammate mistakes.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I thought he could’ve been quicker to the ball sometimes but otherwise I thought he was generally fine.

Sone of his work in defence was very good I thought.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Reg, I reckon Werchon (despite the haircut) played better than Thomas. Was much faster to the breakdown and seems to be a stronger defender. Would you agree?
I thought Werchon had a very strong pass, not sure if it was good left and right but a pretty good start to a career.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Can’t compare the two. 20 mins at the back end v playing in the first hour v a fresh team? They both did their job.
OK but we've seen a lot of Thomas at the back end of games over the past two years, and I personally don't recall him looking as good as Werchon did in his debut game.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
He should get another two chances to push himself up the pecking order. Next two games he'll be worth a close look.
As Tate is suspended for 2 more games, and because Kiss wants to broaden the experience of his squad, I'd imagine Werchon will play off the bench next weekend, but will swap around with Thomas for the following game, which will allow Kiss to chose between them to play off the bench when McDermott returns.
That way Kiss is also making the players compete harder with each other for playing positions.

Reactions: dru

capalaba

Stan Wickham (3)
Werchon is a very handy player with a better pass than Tate or Thomas. I would like to see him get more game time, he was impressive.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
OK but we've seen a lot of Thomas at the back end of games over the past two years, and I personally don't recall him looking as good as Werchon did in his debut game.

Reserve halfback is a pretty tough position. There’s a false expectation you’re gonna to come on and ignite the team when really they probably just need a safe set of hands.

Kalani I think has suffered from that mindset and copped a few brain fades because of it. There’s a reason a lot of Reds fans were calling for Tatey for Eighty.

Whereas I think not having the pressure to come off the bench and make an impact last night meant we saw a lot more of the positive attributes Kalani brings.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
As Tate is suspended for 2 more games, and because Kiss wants to broaden the experience of his squad, I'd imagine Werchon will play off the bench next weekend, but will swap around with Thomas for the following game, which will allow Kiss to chose between them to play off the bench when McDermott returns.
That way Kiss is also making the players compete harder with each other for playing positions.

Unless Thomas plays rubbish and Werchon crushes it, I’d expect Thomas to start for the remaining games Tate is out. Asking Werchon to start in only his 3rd Super Rugby match against the Crusaders in Christchurch(even with their 2024 form) is a big ask, i’d argue the development process is working and Kalani is now positioned to start and Werchon get‘s that experience off the bench, which would be massive even getting 20min a week.

But we also don‘t see behind the curtains to understand how the players are training and attitude off the field, which would be a big factor also.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
What was the official crowd? Around 15k?

Crowds across the board seemed to be down this weekend at the Broncos and Lions. Maybe a bit of sporting fatigue/belt tightening after Easter.

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
Personally I thought Werchon looked better than Thomas in the trials. I expected him to get the bench spot originally.
I think Werchon would make a very handy #10. Has the kicking game and the game smarts. Would love to see him get some minutes there. Still not convinced with Lynagh.