• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
None of the others are as well. Rule a line through the Tahs and Reds options, that probably makes it a shootout between Gordon, Donaldson and Lolesio.
Why are we instantly ruling out Lynagh with at least seeing a squad selection and how the rest of the season plays out?

I'm not suggesting he's a starter (or even in the 23) but to flatly rule him out when there's no one standing out as a sure thing seems odd.....

Yoda

Charlie Fox (21)
Why are we instantly ruling out Lynagh with at least seeing a squad selection and how the rest of the season plays out?

I'm not suggesting he's a starter (or even in the 23) but to flatly rule him out when there's no one standing out as a sure thing seems odd.....
He’s not ready yet and one day may wear gold….

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Some things appear obvious that Schmidt could do to improve the wallabies this year.

Breakdown speed, support and winning turnovers by pilfers and counter rucks.
When to pass and when to hold. We have too many players (ie Tom Wright) playing like a league player going for the hero run.
Support for the runner. We are diabolical in this area.
Chase kick and kick return. Been poor for years.

Our scrum and lineout are OK without being great. Goal kicking is an issue. The psychological side is an issue, the Wallaby's inability to get their squad to play aggressively as a team .ie Tahs.

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
Some things appear obvious that Schmidt could do to improve the wallabies this year.

Breakdown speed, support and winning turnovers by pilfers and counter rucks.
When to pass and when to hold. We have too many players (ie Tom Wright) playing like a league player going for the hero run.
Support for the runner. We are diabolical in this area.
Chase kick and kick return. Been poor for years.

Our scrum and lineout are OK without being great. Goal kicking is an issue. The psychological side is an issue, the Wallaby's inability to get their squad to play aggressively as a team .ie Tahs.
So basically we are poor to mediocre?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I dont understand how the fly half from the team that’s running third last can be the favorite to start? He's hardly standing out in any metric beyond place kicking.
Because the Force are running third last mainly because of the forwards. And none of the other 10s are convincingly better.

Put it this way, if Angus Bell was fit the Tahs would still be last or close to last on the table and he’d still be picked because he’s the best player in his position.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)

Yeah, I’m not talking about forever, just in a couple of months time. I’m not advocating for or against anyone’s inclusion, and nothing would surprise me, I’m just trying to nut out what the most likely outcome is.

Yoda

Charlie Fox (21)
Because the Force are running third last mainly because of the forwards. And none of the other 10s are convincingly better.

Put it this way, if Angus Bell was fit the Tahs would still be last or close to last on the table and he’d still be picked because he’s the best player in his position.
Yep. Obvious to some TSR not to others.

Hogan

Allen Oxlade (6)
I dont understand how the fly half from the team that’s running third last can be the favorite to start? He's hardly standing out in any metric beyond place kicking.
Donaldson leads the other Aussie 10’s for try assists, clean breaks, offloads, kicks, kick metres and is second overall in no of runs and fifth overall in the whole comp for points scored. And playing in a team that hasn’t regularly had a dominant forward pack. I don’t think he’s the favourite - Lolesio for mine - but he’s certainly put his best foot forward.

That’s probably why. If that’s not standing out I’m not sure what is??

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Donaldson leads the other Aussie 10’s for try assists, clean breaks, offloads, kicks, kick metres and is second overall in no of runs and fifth overall in the whole comp for points scored. And playing in a team that hasn’t regularly had a dominant forward pack. I don’t think he’s the favourite - Lolesio for mine - but he’s certainly put his best foot forward.

That’s probably why. If that’s not standing out I’m not sure what is??
Not seen a 10 play as well as Donaldson did last night all comp, except fer DMac.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think the other thing in his favour on here at least is, rightly or wrongly, many on here appear to feel that Lolesio has had has chance and wasn’t up to it. And Carter Gordon has had some spectacular goal misses.

I feel for some Donaldson is the Bradbury choice. To be honest, that’s probably my position. I was really hoping this was the year one of our young 10s grabbed the opportunity with both hands. I feel they’ve all progressed but don’t think any of them have kicked on like I’d hoped. Lynagh is the exception to that but, having seen what getting picked too early has done to guys like Lolesio, Gordon, Jorgenson and even back to guys like Maddocks I’d really prefer to return to a place where guys get a couple of seasons under their belts before they are thrown into the test arena.

Yoda

Charlie Fox (21)
I think the other thing in his favour on here at least is, rightly or wrongly, many on here appear to feel that Lolesio has had has chance and wasn’t up to it. And Carter Gordon has had some spectacular goal misses.

I feel for some Donaldson is the Bradbury choice. To be honest, that’s probably my position. I was really hoping this was the year one of our young 10s grabbed the opportunity with both hands. I feel they’ve all progressed but don’t think any of them have kicked on like I’d hoped. Lynagh is the exception to that but, having seen what getting picked too early has done to guys like Lolesio, Gordon, Jorgenson and even back to guys like Maddocks I’d really prefer to return to a place where guys get a couple of seasons under their belts before they are thrown into the test arena.
TSR. It’s only one game. Donno played well but as all young tens, it’s about consistency. Lynagh will be in the pipeline down the track for sure, not yet. Not sure he is the ‘exception’ as you speak of. Played well in patches this year but hardly any better than the others. Not sure I’ve seen many line breaks or speed from him ? Anyway, we have a few improving which is good for Australia. Just need some hard nut forwards that don’t take a backward step to get the ball to Tim Ryan and Corey Toole!! As for ‘Bradbury’ choice, not sure about that. I’d say Lolesio is first pick unless Donaldson keeps playing like last night.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, I dunno. Donaldson has been pretty good most, but not all the year. I won’t object to Lolesio getting another crack but my point about Donaldson (and going back to the original comment about why he is being mentioned) I don’t think anyone is claiming by anyone that he is playing the house down but I think many don’t think Lolesio does enough aside from kicking goals, Gordon’s goal kicking is too unreliable, Lynagh is too young, Edmed not good enough and Harrison too soon back from injury and now going OS. Which leaves Donaldson as last man standing. Regardless of your or my personal opinions I think that’s pretty accurate in what some are thinking - although I’m not claiming that is Schmidt’s view.

With regards to Lynagh being the exception that was really a comment about my personal view point - ie he is the only 1 of the 10s who has exceed my expectations this year. He’s been good. But I’m not suggestion he be picked for the Wallabies this year.

Yoda

Charlie Fox (21)
Yeah, I dunno. Donaldson has been pretty good most, but not all the year. I won’t object to Lolesio getting another crack but my point about Donaldson (and going back to the original comment about why he is being mentioned) I don’t think anyone is claiming by anyone that he is playing the house down but I think many don’t think Lolesio does enough aside from kicking goals, Gordon’s goal kicking is too unreliable, Lynagh is too young, Edmed not good enough and Harrison too soon back from injury and now going OS. Which leaves Donaldson as last man standing. Regardless of your or my personal opinions I think that’s pretty accurate in what some are thinking - although I’m not claiming that is Schmidt’s view.

With regards to Lynagh being the exception that was really a comment about my personal view point - ie he is the only 1 of the 10s who has exceed my expectations this year. He’s been good. But I’m not suggestion he be picked for the Wallabies this year.
He’s the incumbent people forget so not really Bradbury. Everyone has their views. Interested to see who Schmidt picks in his first squad and the odd surprise no doubt. Cale, Ryan, Tizzano, Potter and no Mark Nawaqanitawase are my hand grenades!

Hogan

Allen Oxlade (6)

Not sure what you’re trying to say TSR but Schmidt is a world class coach who will select the 10’s that have displayed the best and most consistent form throughout the year and the playmakers that will best suit his game plan. Experience at the international level will probably also come into it. All our young 10’s have had their moments in the spotlight this year but the best and most consistent this season have been Lolesio, Donaldson and Gordon. IMO they’re the ones that will be in the mix come selection time.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Sorry - obviously not making my point very well.

I am not trying to predict at all what Schmidt is thinking.

But there was an earlier question as to what people are mentioning Donaldson when he is 10 for the Force who are near the bottom of the table and I was trying to explain the thinking of those people and even a bit of my own - that whilst Donaldson isn’t killing it none of the others are either and I think each of Lolesio (tried before), Gordon (too unreliable as a goal kicker) and Lynagh (too young/inexperienced) are all being ruled out a lot of peoples minds (personally I’m still okay with Lolesio being considered too). Which leaves Donaldson (sorry Tahs fans but I don’t think Edmed or Harrison are even in the conversation at the moment).

I will also point out that whilst many are ‘doing a Bradbury’ as a bad thing the guy is an Olympic Gold Medalist and possibly one of the most famous ones - so it’s not in any way a failure.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
He’s the incumbent people forget so not really Bradbury. Everyone has their views. Interested to see who Schmidt picks in his first squad and the odd surprise no doubt. Cale, Ryan, Tizzano, Potter and no Mark Nawaqanitawase are my hand grenades!
Isn’t Potter out injured?

When you say Ryan - do you mean Ryan Smith? Or am I have a brain freeze on who Ryan is?

Edit: sorry - I’m assuming Tim Ryan. Like the guy who is front and centre at the moment in terms of rugby coverage but who completely slipped my mind. I dunno. Again I just think we need to be careful getting too excited from a small sample. He’s certainly lighting thinks up though.

Yoda

Charlie Fox (21)
Isn’t Potter out injured?

When you say Ryan - do you mean Ryan Smith? Or am I have a brain freeze on who Ryan is?

Edit: sorry - I’m assuming Tim Ryan. Like the guy who is front and centre at the moment in terms of rugby coverage but who completely slipped my mind. I dunno. Again I just think we need to be careful getting too excited from a small sample. He’s certainly lighting thinks up though.
Been a while since the Wallabies had a winger with speed an agility like he has. He’s a possibility anyway…

Reactions: TSR

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Considering how suspect Kellaway is at defending at 15, there is a very real possibility we could see both Gordon and Donaldson on the field at the same time.