• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2011 Spring Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I agree that TC should have, at some stage, been given a chance to see what he could bring rather than just assuming he didn't have what it took. Some would say injury cruelled his chance in 08 (I think??) when he was out for most of the year after some pretty good form.

IMO he got back to that level and then some over the course of this season but Deans had other ideas and went with what we have. I have a feeling if he was 21 he would have had a run, but who knows.

I'm assuming your suggestion that he needed Kafe to tell him he needed to pass was tongue-in-cheek, IS?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Tom Carter plays better rugby at OC anyway. Last Super 15 was by far his best season and he shone at 13. I am sure Tom plays to his coaches gameplan but I would like to see him use some distribution skills.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I agree that TC should have, at some stage, been given a chance to see what he could bring rather than just assuming he didn't have what it took. Some would say injury cruelled his chance in 08 (I think??) when he was out for most of the year after some pretty good form.

IMO he got back to that level and then some over the course of this season but Deans had other ideas and went with what we have. I have a feeling if he was 21 he would have had a run, but who knows.

I'm assuming your suggestion that he needed Kafe to tell him he needed to pass was tongue-in-cheek, IS?

No it wasn't
My take and that of my rugby mates was hat kafe took to him with a long handled bat and the next week he passed, in traffic (not his instinctive game based on what I've seen).
Not sure if the dig is at me, kafe, carter or all of us.
Hard to believe that the senior inside centre in oz rugby hasn't Been given 1 shot even in a tour match......FFs Kearns was picked from reserve grade....a long time ago I know
My theory is that when your ic goes down you should pick the next ic, not try to manufacture one from another position: it's kind of showing faith in the players, not just the current bunch but the next lot: when your chance comes you'll be given it.
I think choo choo carter has shown a lot of great personal qualities to stick with the tahs - he must have had an overseas option before now
I say this as someone who thinks Carter is only just up to s15

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
26 tour - date of announcement unknown. I hope they have a 1 week camp before the squad is announced but time is running out.

T

Train Without a Station

My theory is that when your ic goes down you should pick the next ic, not try to manufacture one from another position: it's kind of showing faith in the players, not just the current bunch but the next lot: when your chance comes you'll be given it.

Mate that's only the Ewan McKenzie theory behind turning the Reds around. Robbie Deans theory is it's better to have a guy from within the squad play in a position he is not used to, and unlikely to perform his best at, rather than promote the next best in that position.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
This is the 22 I'd like to see play the Welsh.
1. Alexander
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Higginbotham
7. Pocock
8. Dennis
9.Genia
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Digby
12. Barnes
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Turner
15. Beale

Res: 16.TPN 17. Ma'afu 18. Hugh Pyle 19. Robinson 20. Lucas 21. Fainga'a 22. Rod Davies

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Mate that's only the Ewan McKenzie theory behind turning the Reds around. Robbie Deans theory is it's better to have a guy from within the squad play in a position he is not used to, and unlikely to perform his best at, rather than promote the next best in that position.

Ok - so that's not working and Links theory is.......

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Bret Harris with the ::) scoop in the Australian

WALLABIES coach Robbie Deans will name at least three uncapped players on Monday when he announces the 26-man squad to embark on a two-game tour of Britain.

SOURCES in Brisbane and Sydney have confirmed that Queensland Reds centre Ben Tapaui and utility back Ben Lucas will make the tour along with NSW Waratahs back-five forward David Dennis.

T

Train Without a Station

IF the 3 uncapped players are from the two best performing provinces in 2011 it would suggest they are actually making some selections based on form finally.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
When we imagined the tour squad after we knew all the injuries, we worked out that 3 non-RWC players had to be picked to make up the number of 26: probably a couple of backs and a lock/6 in case one of the 3 locks got crocked and Samo wasn't considered suitable to play in the 2nd row. If Kepu wasn't fit there would have to be a 4th non-RWC player.

It would be no surprise if the 3 players were all uncapped as there didn't see too many deserving capped non-RWC players, though Mumm was a possibility as the lock/6.

The three new uncapped players mentioned as possibilities have been discussed already. I had Lucas down to cover 9, 10 and 15, but I didn't think Taps would be considered because 12 seemed to be covered by A.F., JOC (James O'Connor) and even Horne. I thought the greater need would have been further out and had Morahan as my pick there; so that JOC (James O'Connor) could play 12.

It is exciting as to whom the 3 will be though it's unlikely that any of the new players will get a start in the two games. Let's not forget that these newbies haven't played for a while nor even trained much since the end of the season.

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
WALLABIES utility Adam Ashley-Cooper has declared the squad is throwing away the ''four-year building process'' attitude of years past, and is focused solely on reinstating Australia as the No.1 ranked rugby nation by the end of next year. And it all starts against the Welsh on December 3.

Hallje-farkn-lulljah!!! I was hoping someone would say this....This young squad needs to be at each-others throats pushing for a spot in the 22. No easy rides, no 'put him in there for the sake of it'. Pick your best side, with a bit of flavour for developing talent, and only make slight changes as time goes on...

T

TOCC

no more 'development phase'.... that era is over, its time to start putting there foot on the oppositions throat..

I dont care if the Wallabies dont win flamboyantly, i want to see them win ruthlessly!! Thats entertainment value for me!

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
When is deans new coaching team announced?

This tour could have been an opportunity to trial some of the contenders for forwards coach as well as scrum and kicking/highball consultants.

On the topic of the squad, this is the one I suggested earlier:

[Injury Replacement]

Hookers: Stephen Moore, Tatafu Polota-Nau [Fainga'a or Hanson]
Props: Sekope Kepu, Ben Alexander, James Slipper, Greg Holmes or Laurie Weeks
Locks: James Horwill (c), Nathan Sharpe [Wykes], Rob Simmons
Loose Forwards: David Pocock, Scott Higginbotham, Rocky Elsom, Beau Robinson, Dave Dennis, Samo (if needed)

Scrumhalves: Will Genia, Nick Phipps
Fly-half: Berrick Barnes
Centres: James O'Connor, Rob Horne, Adam Ashley-Cooper
Wingers: Digby Ioane, Lachie Turner, Nick Cummins
Fullback: Luke Morahan
Utility: Ben Lucas [Jono Lance]

With the news that deans is tipped to take Tapuai, he is signalling that he still wants to play JOC (James O'Connor) at 14, and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 15. Means he will probably also take Ant Fainga'a as centre cover. And will no doubt leave outside backs Morahan and Cummins at home. Make of that what you will.

Dennis in the forwards is one I also picked. I still cant see deans picking beau. Im not sure what his rational behind this decision will be, as it is well proven that our gameplan turns to shit the minute we stop getting quick ball from the breakdown. For the record I dont think beau is the be all and end all - especially at test level - but I do think at this stage he is the second best 7 we have.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I don't think that Deans will pick Beau when he has shown preference for Hodgson. I would pick Hodgson too notwithstanding that Beau was a terrific player for the Reds. I think that Matt is more of a test player than Beau is.

Dennis is also a test type of player: hard bastard meat and potatoes.

I will be disappointed if Morahan doesn't go as looks like the case, but am very pleased for Taps. Am also disappointed that it looks like JOC (James O'Connor) won't be playing at 12, as Bowside mentioned.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
I can't see any changes in coaching till the EOYT is done and dusted. Fair enough too. Assuming that the non-inquisition by the board on their and their chosen one's descisions finds that maintaining faith in the faux messiah is the best option moving forward, the Kiwi will flick a couple of sub coaches to shut everyone up for a while. Fucken long sentence that. If confused read, if Deans stays Williams goes after the tour.

My strategy to figuring out what he'll decide for the inside backs is to work out what I'd do and do the opposite. So Morahan won't go. JOC (James O'Connor) won't get his hands on the ball bugger all staying at 14.

If true, why is AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s making declarations about selection strategy for the next while? Is he a manager now? Did I miss something?

Status
Not open for further replies.