• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2011 Team of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
I know Australia has a few more games this year but I wanted to hear what some people thought about certain players who have struck a chord in international rugby. You can add your own form XV if you want. These are also just opinions based on how well I have seen them play. Sorry if there's any bias. Also the player must have played at least one international this year.

15: Israel Dagg: I know a lot of people are goin to be annoyed that I didn't pick Kurley Beale, but this world champion fullback managed to usurp Mils Muliana from his position and was instrumental for the All Blacks winning the world cup.

14: Hirotoki Onizawa: for a small guy he's quick. One of my favorite moments of the world cup was seeing him score an intercept try against New Zealand. Top stuff.

13: Ma'a Nonu: His best season in a long time but it took a special player to knock him out of his preferred position.

12: Jamie Roberts: The big man really shone at the world cup leaving everyone realizing that If Wales can keep the team they have at the moment they could grasp on to the Webb Ellis Cup in 2015.

11: Digby Ioane: Always solid in attack and defense but didn't get to work his magic and big hottie after being starved of the ball most games.

10: I think this was the hardest position to so I couldn't pick without your. In a response write who you think should be Five Eighth and give a valid reason. Responses Without a valid reason will be ignored.

9: Dmitri Yachvili: another tough decision but the French halfback didnt disappoint with his pin point kicking and expert leadership on the field.

8: Radike Samo: one of my favorite players so I may be a bit biased. His stats might not be the best in the world but he definitely the best in the world to watch play. It's gotta be the fro.

7: Richie McCaw: I know what youre going to say but i don't care. McCaw is the best openside flanker in the world. Hes tough as nails and always leaves his heart on the field. Being a flanker myself I know that we are bit offside most of time but it's not illegal until the ref catches you doing it.

6: Theirry Dusatoir: the IRB player of the year was unlucky not to be a world champion as well. 2015 could be his year as this young mans career has just kicked off. He is a superstar.

5: James Horwill: I love his attitude to the game. He never gives up and is probably the most consistent player in world at moment. He should keep his head up high and proud of his achievements at his first ever world cup.

4: Brad Thorn: one of the greatest players in history in my opinion. How a 37 year old keeps up with boys 15 years younger than himself for 80 minutes escapes me.

3: M.A. Lazar: the Romanians didnt have a very successful campaign but Lazar definitely did. Along with his captain Tincu, he almost led Romania to upset victory over Scotland.

2: Bismark Du Plessis: unlucky not to be starting hooker over the highly underperforming John Smit. The only South African in this team he definitely was the better hooker at the cup.

1: Nicolas Mas: This world cup runner-up looked like he'd just escaped from prison but he was the best prop at the World Cup. He outperformed any opponent he came up against and led France to the final from the front row. An almost unstoppable force.

Thanks for reading and I would like to hear some replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Gotta say I disagree on many of those selections

1- Nicolas Mas
2- Bismark du Plessis
3- Martin Castrogiovanni
4- Paul O'Connell
5- James Horwill
6- Sean O'Brien
7- David Pocock (hard to pick one out of Warburton, McCaw, Dusatouir, Brussouw).
8- Sergio Parisse
9- Will Genia (also hard to pick, Yachvilli?)
10- Rhys Priestland (only because Carter missed alot of games)
11- Digby Ioane
12- Ma'a Nonu (Jamie Roberts)
13- Conrad Smith
14- George North
15- Israel Dagg

Also Dusatouir's career is definatly not just kicking off, he is late 20's now

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Fellas, we usually do a poll post season's internationals ending for each position and post the results for everyone to comment on and select a team to play against them. Do the mods want to do it early this year (happy to organise again if this is the case)?

Reactions: DPK
T

Train Without a Station

I'd have Imanol Harinodaquay at No. 8. He was immense for France.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Mas is a tight head, Du Plessis has been lorded as the best hooker in the world, but how can you asses him if he only comes on for the last 20min of each game. I can understand the aussie selection tho I might not agree with some of them,
It seems you have picked on reputation and news paper columns, But I do agree on all the All black selections, also Corry Jane should be there instead of North.

F

François

"14: Hirotoki Onizawa"

Ahead of O'Connor, Jane and Clerc ? all right ^^

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
"14: Hirotoki Onizawa"

Ahead of O'Connor, Jane and Clerc ? all right ^^

The wing spots are the most hotly contested positions this year. Dont discount Ashton (as much as I hate the bloke) and George North as well

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
This is already a thread... so perhaps it could be merged. Regardless from memory my team in the other thread consisted of:
1. Cian Healy
2. Bismark du Plessis
3. Martin Castrogiovanni
4. Luke Chateris
5. Paul O'Connell
6. Jerome Kaino
7. David Pocock
8. Sergio Parisse
9. Piri Weepu
10. Rhys Priestland
11. Vincent Clerc
12. Jordie Roberts
13. Ma'a Nonu
14. James O'Connor
15. Israel Dagg

16. Stephen Moore
17. Nicolas Mas
18. Dannie Russouw
19. Sean O'Brien
20. Morgan Parra
21. DTH Van Der Merwe
22. Richard Kahui

HM: Mike Phillips, George North, AW Jones, Shalk Burger, Heinrich Brussouw, Sam Warburton, Will Genia, Immanuel Harinordiquy.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I'd have Imanol Harinodaquay at No. 8. He was immense for France.

I'd probably have to say the French second row of Nallet and Pape as well. The best lineout in the comp IMO. I think the Oz lineout was fairly ordinary and cannot understand Horwill getting close to selection in anyone's team. Without surety of primary possession from a team's own set piece it is hard to have any first phase attack.

Unless of course you come from the Dingo school of thought that doesn't believe in any attack excepting that from turnover ball initiated by the Wunderkinda.

JimboJoe1006

Chris McKivat (8)
Just before I even think about putting a team together - are the selections made on WC, or the whole year? Is it the form team, or the current best players in the world?

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
If we're going off the whole year then:

10. Rhys Priestland. Really stood up to the challenge throughout the RWC and Wales looked a much worse side without him. He also performed admirably during the warm-up games, and without another prominent competitor he gets the gig. That's not to say he was the best of a bad bunch though, he played very well this year.

7. David Pocock. There's a couple of reasons for this. Firstly he was one of two #7's nominated for the iRB player of the year award, ahead of Richie McCaw. Secondly, he dominated the breakdown in the 3N and the RWC matches he played. He played 40 minutes against Russia and he was still the MOTM of most GAGR posters. If you need any other proof as to his brilliance, please ask anyone how we performed against Ireland, Samoa and in the 2nd half of the Russia game without him. He is unmatched.

W

waves

1. Tony Woodcock (NZL)
2. Bismark Du Plessis (RSA)
3. Martin Castrogiovanni (ITA)
4. Brad Thorn (NZL)
5. Dan Vickerman (AUS)
6. Jerome Kaino (NZL)
7. David Pocock (AUS)
8. Sergio Parisse (ITA)
9. Dimitri Yachvili (FRA)
10. Rhys Priestland (WAL)
11. Alesana Tuilagi (SAM)
12. Ma'a Nonu (NZL)
13. Jamie Roberts (WAL)
14. Digby Ioane (AUS)
15. Irael Dagg (NZL)

16. Kevin Mealamu (NZL)
17. Juan Figallo (ARG)
18. Paul O'Connoll (IRE)
19. Richie McCaw (NZL)
20. Will Genia (AUS)
21. Dan Carter (NZL)
22. James O'Connor (AUS)

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
1. Tony Woodcock (NZL)
2. Bismark Du Plessis (RSA)
3. Martin Castrogiovanni (ITA)
4. Brad Thorn (NZL) ... AW Jones, Russouw, Matfield
5. Dan Vickerman (AUS) ... Pape, Nallet, Horwill
6. Jerome Kaino (NZL)
7. David Pocock (AUS)
8. Sergio Parisse (ITA)
9. Dimitri Yachvili (FRA) ... Parra, Fotolai'i, Phillips
10. Rhys Priestland (WAL)
11. Alesana Tuilagi (SAM)
12. Ma'a Nonu (NZL)
13. Jamie Roberts (WAL)
14. Digby Ioane (AUS) ... Clerc, Ashton, Kahui, Jane, North, Bowe
15. Irael Dagg (NZL)

16. Kevin Mealamu (NZL) .. Moore, Servat, Hore, Bennett
17. Juan Figallo (ARG)
18. Paul O'Connoll (IRE)
19. Richie McCaw (NZL) ... Warburton, O'Brien, Dusatoir, Bonnaire, Ferris, Brussouw easily ahead of Sir Richie in 2011.
20. Will Genia (AUS)
21. Dan Carter (NZL)
22. James O'Connor (AUS)

T

Train Without a Station

7. David Pocock. There's a couple of reasons for this. Firstly he was one of two #7's nominated for the iRB player of the year award, ahead of Richie McCaw. Secondly, he dominated the breakdown in the 3N and the RWC matches he played.

I think a lot of people would agree that aside from the RWC Semi Final against South Africa, and a half against Russia (hardly the most challenging of international opposition), David Pocock was probably below his usual lofty standards in 2011. Not saying he's a plodder, just saying this was not a stand out year from him, possibly due to a number of injuries throughout the year slowing him down a little. Had far more impact in 2010.

B

Blob

People do understand that Richie was playing with a broken foot all year right?

W

WhoDaresWin

1. Tony Woodcock
2. William Servat .... the old head really impressed me in the RWC.
3. Martin Castrogiovanni
4. Brad Thorn
5. Danie Rossouw
6. Jerome Kaino
7. Sam Warburton ... just as Pocock is irreplaceable to the Wallabies, so is 'Warburtron' to the Welsh.
8. Imanol Harinordoquy
9. Will Genia ... picked on his Super-Rugby & 3N form
10. Rhys Priestland ... to displace a 100+ test cap Welsh stalwart is testament to the brilliance of this kid, look out for him
11. Digby Ioane ... no chance at the RWC to show the world his dance moves, but like Genia - picked on Super-Rugby & 3N form
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Ma'a Nonu
14. Cory Jane
15. Kurtley Beale / Israel Dagg ... very hard to separate the two, probably a coin toss will help

Status
Not open for further replies.