• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Rugby Championship Round 3 Game 1 Australia vs South Africa - 8 Sep

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Round 3 Game 1 between SAF and AUS?

• The Men In Gold – Australia

Votes: 52 64.2%
  • The Bokke – South Africa

Votes: 29 35.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
This is why wallace harrison should be in the squad. He can play both lock and blindside, and is an excellent lineout forward. It would allow us to play 4/3 yet still be covered in every position.

You'd think he'd be worth a look on the EOYT at least.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
You'd think he'd be worth a look on the EOYT at least.
as good a player that AWH is and he a WA boy so i would love to see him get a shot. the bloke is like 100 years old he has missed his chance. I wish Wykes wasnt injured he would be great as a lock who can cover 6.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
as good a player that AWH is and he a WA boy so i would love to see him get a shot. the bloke is like 100 years old he has missed his chance. I wish Wykes wasnt injured he would be great as a lock who can cover 6.

32! I'd forgotten how old he was.

Scratch that.

Apostle

Peter Burge (5)
I reckon they should drop Beale altogether and tell him to go get fit. He's looking like the fat unmotivated player he was a few years back at the 'Tahs. Get focussed, get fit, and he'll regain his speed and confidence.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Give Cummins a go! the bloke gives 100% every time he plays. At least we know he will do all he can do. The bloke deserves it. Anyone see his highlights in plays of the week?

T

tranquility

I have no issue with Cummins getting a shot, he probably offers exactly what we're missing really. He is not the most technical bloke in contact, not does he have great hands but he wins collisions with and without the ball. We have gone too far away from this model, and need some blokes like this. He is also close enough to 100 kegs.

However I would probably prefer Shipperley as he is an out and out winger, with bootload of polish and is a genuine winger and finisher for that matter.

Would love to see Taps get a run, he would offer our backline so much. Good signs to see them both in the squad.

Berrick needs to sit on the pine, and do some yoga.

Not sure who to play at 13?

Horne is a shadow of himself. Ant I hate to say it, its the least inventive attacker at International level of almost anyone in the last 15 years. Who else have we got? Cummins? AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)? Real head ache.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Wouldn't mind seeing:

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Diggers
12. Tapuai
13. Cummins
14. Shipperly
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Would defiantly inject a bit more size and speed into the backline.

Only worry is quade having to take the kicks at goal.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would try

1.Robinson
2.Moore
3.Slipper
4.Sharpe
5.Timani
6.Higgers
7.Hooper
8.Samo
9.Genia
10.Cooper
11.Ioane
12.Taps
13.Cummins
14.Shipperley
15.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

16.TPN
17.Alexander
18.Dennis
19.Gill / Neville
20.Phipps
21. Barnes
22. Harris

I am still concerned over Samo @ 8. I just don't know how many good minutes he can provide, so Dennis has to be on the bench.

That also then puts concerns over coverage for Hooper, do you stick Gill there or a reserve lock? I would have Neville because I rate the guy and he did well at 6 for Manly on the weekend.

I stuck a new centre pairing out there, two different styled runners for Cooper to hit on the advantage line.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at the back because he is the only player we have who can catch. But Shipperly will get all the attention

Barnes & Harris on the bench because Beale doesn't deserve to be there

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
That's a good looking team fatprop.

I would go with beale over one of barnes or harris on the bench because he offers more variety in the positions he can cover. He may be unfit and out of form, but barnes is pretty out of form at the moment as well.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That's a good looking team fatprop.

I would go with beale over one of barnes or harris on the bench because he offers more variety in the positions he can cover. He may be unfit and out of form, but barnes is pretty out of form at the moment as well.

Barnes & Harris can both cover 10,12 & 15, Cummins can cover wing. Taps 13

Barnes has been far better the Beale

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Barnes & Harris can both cover 10,12 & 15, Cummins can cover wing. Taps 13

Barnes has been far better the Beale

At this stage Harris is not test standard at 10 or 15, and neither is taps at 13. If you pick beale, he can cover 15 (and maybe 10), AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) can cover 11, 13, 14.

Barnes played his best rugby in 2009. He showed glimpses of his former self as he was coming back from injury last year, but hasnt kept his form up for any extended period. He was our worst player last weekend. I'd probably still keep him on the bench this game and bring him on if tapuai or maybe cooper are looking shaky.

I havent seen harris play since the super rugby finished, but I'll be watching him play this weekend for uni. I suspect deans might be as well.

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I would be inclined to try:

1. Robinson (Lucky)
2. Moore
3. Ryan (Can't be any worse than Alexander)
4. Simmons
5. Timani
6. Higgenbothan
7. Hooper
8. Samo
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Tapuai
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Shipperly
15. Morahan

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Douglas
19. Gill
20. Phipps
21. Harris
22. Beale

Sharpe has been good but the new genration need to step up and that time is now. Picking sharpe doesn't help us in the long run. Schatz would have been my starting 8 had he not been injured. Harris played well for the Reds when he was at 12.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think on the bench deans will go with a lock, and either Dennis or Gill.

Samo will play 45-50 mins and then be subbed for one of the above with higgers moving to 8.

Bringing Gill on at 6 is a gamble, but he is a guy who could turn a game with his pilfering and expert defence. On the other hand Dennis's size might be needed to take on the strong and aggressive saffa forwards, and he also gives us another line out option.

I think it all comes down to how much we are able to keep the ball in play and wear the saffs down in the first 50 minutes. If they are a tiring side, the speed of Hooper and Gill in tandem could cause a lot of problems for them. But if we aren't able to play an up tempo game for the first 50 their forwards will be too fresh for our flankers to make any impact.

T

TOCC

I see Cummins as a 13 and Shipperly as a winger and Tapuai as a 12, if these players are going to be placed in the starting lineup it should be in those positions...

T

TOCC

I also dont think that a fetcher should be taking up a position on the bench

Status
Not open for further replies.