• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 NRC Barbarians Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/aru-announces-exciting-initiatives-for-the-nrc/
It was also announced today that an Australian Barbarians side – chosen from players playing in the Buildcorp NRC who were not contracted to Super Rugby franchises in 2015 – will take on a New Zealand Heartland XV in November.

The two-match series against a Heartland XV, selected from uncontracted Super Rugby players playing in the Heartland Championship, will take place at Levin Domain, Manawatu-Wanganui and Cooks Gardens, Wanganui on New Zealand’s North Island. Dates and kick-off times to be confirmed.

The selection committee for the Australian Barbarians will comprise of a panel chaired by Pathway Services Manager – Talent Development at the Australian Rugby Union, Adrian Thompson.

Two match series would suggest that the touring squad will be about 28 players:
LHP x 2
Hooker x 2
THP x 2
Lock x 3
OSF x 2
BSF x 2
No 8 x 2
Halfback x 2
Flyhalf x 2
IC x 2
OC x 2
Wing x 3
FB x 2

Players who can cover more than one position will be in demand. The Selectors sometimes select players for positions other than where their NRC franchise coaches play them.

Selection Criteria is someone not contracted to a Super Rugby Franchise. Assume that this includes players on EPS or WTG contracts.

There are about 300 players involved in NRC across the 9 squads. About 100 of these are either full time Super Rugby players or EPS/WTG. That means that there are about 200 players in line for selection into the NRC Australian Barbarians.

Who has caught your eye?

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Corey Thomas (City) and Richard Hardwick (Spirit) both looked good along with outside backs Junior Laloifi (City) and Sevuloni Mocenacagi (Spirit).

I'd be interested in seeing Jermaine Ainsley (WA U20s this year) and Daley Harper with a bit of an extended run. Criff Tupou also seemed to make a big impact off the bench.

I only watched bits and pieces of the Stars/Rays and Eagles/Rams games so wouldn't comment on those.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Laloifi was probably the pick of the Thursday night game, as a lot of the others are already contracted.

Not had a chance to watch the Rams v Eagles, but did watch the Rays v Stars.

Feltscheer was my best for the rays, while the halves pairing of Gordon and Roberts, along with the tighthead Robertson, all played well for the stars. Coolican had a nice cameo off the bench as well.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Not going to comment on the eagles other than I love the way big Toa Asa plays, a real prop
For rams love the work Masson puts in, thought Roos put a good shift in against a contracted player and Asquith was quality in our back line (is he eligible due to 7,s contract?)
Best in field were Lance and Kellaway with neither eligible from Eagles

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Laloifi was probably the pick of the Thursday night game, as a lot of the others are already contracted.

Not had a chance to watch the Rams v Eagles, but did watch the Rays v Stars.

Feltscheer was my best for the rays, while the halves pairing of Gordon and Roberts, along with the tighthead Robertson, all played well for the stars. Coolican had a nice cameo off the bench as well.
Is Coolican eligible?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Coolican isn't Super Rugby contracted I think, so I think he would be eligible. The aus Barbarians aren't an official international side either, so I wouldn't think that his representing the USA would count against him either.

But if he isn't I'm sure there will be other hookers more than capable.

T

Train Without a Station

I reckon Laloifi and Tupou definitely the pick of the players on Thursday.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Just wondered as I know nz barbarians is a kind of all black pre selection and all players must be eligible for the all blacks
If this is a kind of super pre selection then Coolican would be a waste as he would be a foreign player as such

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Certainly depends what they intend to use it for. If it's a pre-super thingymabob, then rendering non - development internationals ineligible is reasonable. But if it's just as a reward for form and/or playing to win and/or promoting the NRC, there's no reason that players like Coolican shouldn't be considered if he's one of the best 2 non - contracted hookers.

Either way, I'd expect the majority of the players selected would be the ones who're contracted in 2016 but not 2015. And it'll be interesting to see if former Super Players returning from Europe are considered, like Anae and Toua for the Vikings.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From the QLD Country v Melbourne Rising game, there weren't many un-contracted players from Melbourne so can't really add anyone from them. No stand outs at least.

Radike Samo was actually very good and would be wonderful for a tour such as this. Conor Mitchell (7) was excellent and Phil Potgeiter (lock) was very strong. Haydn Hirsimacki scrummed well. Izaia Perese did some good things on the wing but I really liked the rookie Brisbane City winger Alex Gibbon.

All writers for the blogs will pick some 'un-contracted' stand outs in their match reports too, so keep an eye on those.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Do you know the actual eligibility criteria @RugbyReg?

I think former Super Rugby Players at the end of their careers and without a Pro Contract (in Aust or Overseas) for the next season would be in the spirit of the Barbarians concept. They would bring great experience to the team, especially for the young guns and players from less traditional rugby heartland backgrounds, and I reckon that the kiwi Heartland blokes would also really relish the opportunity to come up against a couple of former "name" players.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't know the rules but suspect it will be fairly loose and DK would be an excellent candidate

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
in the Rising v Country game , as i posted on the match thread, i thought Parese and Connor were both really good. If you want another "old head" who did well, Johannsen had a very constructive game, and despite a short cameo only, Tuipoltu won a crucial turnover and made two telling runs at OC

T

Train Without a Station

Swingpass you may not have seen it on the feed, but live personally I was disappointed that Lloyd is still a bit of a cheap shot head hunter. Would repeatedly shoot out of the line and often late with very little chance of actually tackling the ball carrier before they passed. Just the frequency I saw it made me think he'll be a good chance of getting penalized a few times for it this season.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
OK, wasn't obvious on the feed and i didn't concentrate that hard for all of the game, "more the vibe",

T

Train Without a Station

Yeah I kind of expected that the camera would have panned past by the time a lot of it happened.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Oz Barbar Watch (as per G&GR Writers)

Round 1
Eagles vs Rams - No Barbarian Watch, but Dewet ROOS (Rams - Halfback) was G&GR MOM
Stars vs Rays - Tom HILL (Rays - Centre), Harry JONES (Stars - Wing), David HICKEY (Stars - OSF)
Rising vs QCountry - Conor MITCHELL (QC (Quade Cooper) - OSF), Phil POTGIETER (QC (Quade Cooper) - Lock)
City vs Spirit - Junior LALOIFI (City - Fullback)

Summary to date:
4. Phil POTGIETER (R1)
7. Conor MITCHELL (R1), David HICKEY (R1)
9. Dewet ROOS (R1)
12. Tom HILL (R1)
14. Harry JONES (R1)
15. Junior LALOIFI (R1)

Status
Not open for further replies.