• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Schools Debating (NSW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ca1cu1us

Frank Nicholson (4)
So for GPS schools in ISDA, probably Grammar is the top pick. I heard some controversy over the Scots v Grammar senior debates decisions but like that particular round provided some interesting debates because of how the topic was worded (or should I say oddly reworded from a melbourne easters topic)

Anyway, r8 is done and from the results I have heard and some really complex tiebreaking, this should be the list of octo finalists as best as I can work out:

Grammar
Scots
PLC Sydney
Monte

MLC
Shore
Abbotsleigh
Tangara OR Kambala

Riverview
Knox
Roseville
Redlands

Barker
Kincoppal
Ravenswood
St Josephs

two notes: thats 12/13 of 16 predictions correct, showing how predictable isda has become even with all the complaints about adjudicating quality. Also note that is is based off what people told me and involve some very convoluted calculations at points that may be incorrect. Also I used the method established in a post in a previous year's thread on this forum. It might have changed since then.

Tiebreaking: Pool A: Monte beats Aloys and Loreto based on Senior B 2016 wins.
Pool B: Abbotsleigh goes 3rd based on Senior B 2016 wins. Tangara and Kambala are tied on all three metrics. (Head to Head, Upset points, Senior B 2016 win points) No Head to Head clash in 2016. Goes to a coin toss I think.
Pool C: Redlands beats out St Andrews and Brigidine on 2016 senior b win points.
Pool D: Clean cut for top 4 thankfully.

Shortrep

Allen Oxlade (6)
Anyway, r8 is done and from the results I have heard and some really complex tiebreaking, this should be the list of octo finalists as best as I can work out:

Are those in order, because I think they're are a couple that might be a bit out of place if they are?

And do you have some information about the results of debates from Round 8?

ca1cu1us

Frank Nicholson (4)
Not all of the list was. I didnt really pay attention to the ordering when I was writing it out.

The ordered list and thus what I think the Octo matchups will be are as follows:

A1 Grammar
A2 Scots
A3 PLC Sydney
A4 Monte

B1 MLC
B2 Shore
B3 Abbotsleigh
B4 ? (Tangara/Kambala?)

C1 Riverview
C2 Knox
C3 Roseville
C4 Redlands

D1 Kincoppal
D2 Barker
D3 St Josephs
D4 Ravenswood

Octos
Grammar (A1) v Ravenswood (D4)
MLC (B1) v Redlands (C4)
Tangara/Kambala(B4) v Riverview (C1)
Monte (A4) v Kincoppal (D1)
Scots (A2) v Joeys (D3)
Shore (B2) v Roseville (C3)
Abbotsleigh (B3) v Knox (C2)
PLC Syd (A3) v Barker (D2)

Edit: R8 results
Scots def Monte
Tangara def Wenona
Knox def Brigidine
Ascham def Joeys

I dont know topics or sides because not all debates were on friday at the usual time and i didnt ask. Someone else can.

Shortrep

Allen Oxlade (6)
I dont know topics or sides because not all debates were on friday at the usual time and i didnt ask. Someone else can.

The senior topic was something along the lines of

"That we should not invest in Environmental Causes aimed soley at species preservation"

Shortrep

Allen Oxlade (6)
That we regret the focus on equality within privileged institutions.

This is the sort of one-sided topic that would lead to upsets!

Aren't there three topics for Octo's? Was that one of the three or the only one? I'm just thinking how bad were the other topics if that got chosen.

Aren't there three topics for Octo's? Was that one of the three or the only one? I'm just thinking how bad were the other topics if that got chosen.

No, there was only one choice for some reason. Also I'm fairly sure Grammar drew Neg on that topic, which is definitely winnable considering the fact that the topic gave the Hollywood wage gap as an example.

Shortrep

Allen Oxlade (6)
No, there was only one choice for some reason. Also I'm fairly sure Grammar drew Neg on that topic, which is definitely winnable considering the fact that the topic gave the Hollywood wage gap as an example.

Do you happen to know how many Adjudicators there were for the Senior A debate?

Also are there any other results from the other Octo's?

#1 Rugby Fan

Bob McCowan (2)
I thought Grammar was aff on that topic?

MLC won with Claris Foo ironmanning 1 and 3 neg with a team member taken very ill. Big props to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.