• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Schools Debating (NSW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
PLC (neg) won in a split decision on the topic "That in times of severe economic crisis, the government should censor all news that talks about the state of the economy"

Good debate and fair decision imo.

ca1cu1us

Frank Nicholson (4)
ISDA 2017 Winners:
Senior A: PLC Sydney
Senior B: Grammar
Year 10: Shore
Year 9: Abbotsleigh
Year 8: Knox
Year 7: Abbotsleigh
Primary A: Abbotsleigh
Primary B: MLC

MedStudent

Frank Row (1)
Speculations for upcoming GPS season? Seeing the results from ISDA as well as the state squad selections, could this be the year that the traditional powerhouses are defeated?

don't h8 just deb8

Stan Wickham (3)
I would tip Grammar if Daniel Yim wasn't missing three debates (including the High debate) while he's at worlds.

It seems it's anyone's game at this stage, Riverview and Grammar both have debaters in state squad and we all know about the ever illustrious Hugh Bartley...

ThatWasTheJoke

Peter Burge (5)
Well New and High aren't in ISDA and thus aren't tarred by the poor performances, alas the former has had disappointing results in recent years while the latter remains somewhat of a dark horse losing to a very strong SG team. I would still tip high considering Yim's untimely absence

In addition, what would be everyone's bets for reps before the season starts. I'd say.
Archdale ->CHS ->GPS ->CAS

errybody_talks

Stan Wickham (3)
CHS reps squad is (in alphabetical order):

Hugh Bartley (12, SBHS)
John Bivell (11, FSHS)
Indigo Crosweller (11, SGHS)
Alex de Araujo (11, SBHS)
Nicole Kagan (12, SGHS)
Emily Kim (12, NSGHS)
Sophie Shead (11, HGHS)
Ellie Stephenson (12, SHHS)

errybody_talks

Stan Wickham (3)
Extremely eventful night on the first round of GPS!

Both High and Grammar were Aff on the absurdly weighted topic "That all competitions in the Olympics should be ungendered". Grammar (notably Yim-less) lost unanimously to Newington and High prevailed in a razor tight split against Joeys.

What a season this is shaping up to be. Anyone have results from the other two fixtures?

Johnnysmith

Frank Row (1)
I know that TKS as Neg had a win against Shore, the debate turned into a little bit of a definitional debate as Shore took a more unconventional approach to the topic, but King's came through with the win. Anyone daring enough to change their predictions after this first round of debates?

don't h8 just deb8

Stan Wickham (3)
I know that TKS as Neg had a win against Shore, the debate turned into a little bit of a definitional debate as Shore took a more unconventional approach to the topic, but King's came through with the win. Anyone daring enough to change their predictions after this first round of debates?

Don't blame Shore, to be honest.

Sydney Boys must be counting their lucky stars tonight - any opponent apart from Joeys and they probably would've gone down.

bozo_at_oxford

Bob McCowan (2)
Scots defeated View fairly comfortably on the neg in a unanimous decision. Feel for view with the aff side, as they are very classy, but Scots are also a strong side and they are my tip for the title. Have heard that they have one particularly strong speaker who should be a hot tip for GPS teams come September.

Scots to win the Premiership, you heard it here first.

Shortrep

Allen Oxlade (6)
CHS reps squad is (in alphabetical order):

Hugh Bartley (12, SBHS)
John Bivell (11, FSHS)
Indigo Crosweller (11, SGHS)
Alex de Araujo (11, SBHS)
Nicole Kagan (12, SGHS)
Emily Kim (12, NSGHS)
Sophie Shead (11, HGHS)
Ellie Stephenson (12, SHHS)

How does GPS Reps work for SBHS debaters?

ThatWasTheJoke

Peter Burge (5)
I'd assume based off the fact they sent Bartley this year and Shortridge last year to CHS that they prioritise that route. I suppose who doesn't make it in tries for GPS which I think is off speaker points.

Status
Not open for further replies.