• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Schools Debating (NSW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rowerforlife

Peter Burge (5)
Wow, very interesting topic on Friday night. It has definitely shaken up the Firsts Comp.
The Newington vs High debate will test whether Newington got out lucky last Friday, and if High wins their lead will be extended. Still, Scots remains a threat (as Bozo_at_Oxford wanted to point out).

My predictions for Friday night:
Grammar (no wins right now)
Scots (one win right now)
High (one win right now)
Riverview (no wins right now)

So at the end of Round 2, it'll probably be High and Scots in the lead.
Next week features High vs Grammar - a competition decider very early in the season.

Good luck to all teams this Friday night!

bozo_at_oxford

Bob McCowan (2)
What are everybody's tips for the GPS, Archdale and CAS rep teams? Archdale would probably be pretty clear, although GPS and CAS in particular are a little less obvious.

Shortrep

Allen Oxlade (6)
Round 1 GPS Results Confirmed

1sts

Newington def Grammar
SBHS def Joeys
Kings def Shore
Scots def View

2nds

Grammar def Newington
SBHS def Joeys
Shore def Kings
Scots def View

don't h8 just deb8

Stan Wickham (3)
Scots, Grammar and Syd Boys all got wins tonight on "That we should ban coaching colleges." Another simple topic but at least it wasn't too weighted.

Apparently in the Newington v SBHS debate it was so clear that all three adjudicators took just thirty seconds to give their result to the chairperson.

rowerforlife

Peter Burge (5)
Wow. Definitely a very simple topic - one that perhaps Sydney Boys might know a bit about!

Anyone know the result of the Riverview vs Kings debate?

errybody_talks

Stan Wickham (3)
Scots defeated View fairly comfortably on the neg in a unanimous decision. Feel for view with the aff side, as they are very classy, but Scots are also a strong side and they are my tip for the title. Have heard that they have one particularly strong speaker who should be a hot tip for GPS teams come September.

Scots to win the Premiership, you heard it here first.

And you heard it here last, apparently.

Scots, Grammar and Syd Boys all got wins tonight on "That we should ban coaching colleges." Another simple topic but at least it wasn't too weighted.

Apparently in the Newington v SBHS debate it was so clear that all three adjudicators took just thirty seconds to give their result to the chairperson.

Check your sources - Scots just lost to Joeys.

BringHomeTheBacon

Bob McCowan (2)
The upcoming round looks like it could go a long way to determining the result of this competition, particularly Kings v Scots and the ever-important High Grammar clash. For the former, if Scots did lose to Joeys then this debate is a must-win for them to take advantage of their apparently strong team and stay in the running. For the latter, Grammar are in a similar position, especially considering Sydney Boys would have two wins over them if the result goes their way.

My instinct is that Scots will win their debate but the other one is always close. I would lean towards High given Yim's absence and their win against Newington, although Grammar's loss to them was on a noticeably weighted topic. Thoughts?

rowerforlife

Peter Burge (5)
Haha - the High vs Grammar debate is always one to look forward to!

I noticed that Archdale has a school ranking system based on how well each team from their school is faring. That is, all teams from 7B to Seniors all have wins counting towards an overall total that determines the schools' overall ranking.

Does the GPS have a system like this - because it would be nice to be able to compare schools and their debating programs more wholly with more solid statistics, especially those behind High and Grammar.

I've tried it out here based on Round 1 GPS results (wins from 7C to Firsts):

1) Grammar - 10 wins
2) High - 9 wins
3) Scots - 8 wins
4) Kings - 7 wins
5) Shore - 5 wins
6) Riverview - 4 wins
7) Joeys - 3 wins
8) Newington - 2 wins

So after Round 1, Grammar appears to be the 'best' overall school.
Once official results are posted for Round 2, I will update this.

Shortrep

Allen Oxlade (6)
Official Results GPS Debating Round 2

1sts

Grammar def. Shore
Joeys def. Scots
Sydney Boys def. Newington
View def. Kings

2nds

Shore def. Grammar
Scots def. Joeys
Sydney Boys def. Newington
View def. Kings

In the 1sts that leaves all teams on one win except for Sydney Boys on Two and Shore on zero.

In the 2nds the comp is more spread, with Joeys, Kings and Newington on 0, Grammar and riverview on 1 and Sydney boys, Shore and Scots on two.

rowerforlife

Peter Burge (5)
Last Friday night, from 7Cs to Firsts:

Newington - 5 wins
High - 7 wins
Shore - 3 wins
Grammar - 9 wins
Riverview - 6 wins
Joeys - 3 wins
Kings - 6 wins
Scots - 9 wins

After 2 weeks:
1) Grammar - 19 wins
2) Scots - 17 wins
3) High - 16 wins
4) Kings - 13 wins
5) Riverview - 10 wins
6) Shore - 8 wins
7) Newington - 7 wins
8) Joeys - 6 wins

So, Grammar appears the most consistent. However, High remain firm favourites in the Firsts and maybe also Seconds.

It might be a bit early in the comp, but the undefeated teams so far are:
High - Firsts, Seconds, 10A, 10B, 8A, 7A
Shore - Seconds, 10B
Grammar - Thirds, 9A, 9B, 8B, 7A, 7B, 7C (watch out GPS in 2022!)
Riverview - 7A
Kings - Thirds, 9B, 8A, 8B
Scots - Seconds, Thirds, 8A, 8B, 7B, 7C

Early predictions -
Firsts - High
Seconds - High
Thirds - Grammar
10A - High
10B - High
9A - Grammar
9B - Kings
8A - Scots/High
8B - Scots/Kings/Grammar
7A - Grammar
7B - Grammar
7C - Grammar

Just thought it would be interesting to look at the bigger picture - not just Firsts and Seconds....

bozo_at_oxford

Bob McCowan (2)
Big debate on Friday Night at Grammar! A Grammar win would blow the competition wide open and put everyone on a level platform for the rest of the comp, giving View and Scots another chance after early slip-ups. A High win would put the shield into their own destiny and mean that there would be a high probability of the shield being shared at the end of the comp if they were to lose.

ThatWasTheJoke

Peter Burge (5)
Im skeptical of Riverview's chances simply based off their recent record but I'm ready for them to prove me wrong.

Yes, friday should be a cracker, only dulled somewhat by the untimely absence of our venerated national captain!

On the note of stats, it would be interesting if there was a trophy for best overall school like their is in Archdale, although I'd prefer if it were weighted, e.g. 5 points for 1's 3 for 2's 2 for A's and 1 for B's etc.

rowerforlife

Peter Burge (5)
On the note of stats, it would be interesting if there was a trophy for best overall school like their is in Archdale, although I'd prefer if it were weighted, e.g. 5 points for 1's 3 for 2's 2 for A's and 1 for B's etc.

More stats incoming:

Using a system of assigning points per win from Firsts to 7C - where Firsts get 12 points per win, Seconds get 11, Thirds get 10, 10A gets 9, all the way down to 7C getting 1 point per win - a different result is shown:

As at the end of Round 2 of GPS:
1) High - 114 points
2) Grammar - 111 points
3) Scots - 108 points
4) Kings - 83 points
5) Riverview - 62 points
6) Shore - 60 points
7) Newington - 50 points
8) Joeys - 36 points

The stats really are interesting.....

ThatWasTheJoke

Peter Burge (5)
High defeat Grammar 3-0 in Firsts
Grammar defeat High in Seconds

Topic is "That we should offer incentives to producers who promote or create roles for minorities", Frustratingly aff-weighted. Another poor topic in GPS

bozo_at_oxford

Bob McCowan (2)
By God GPS topics have been bad this year. What an absurdly ambiguous topic, leads the debate wide open for neg to get destroyed by a well-crafted model.

My sources are telling me that Scots took a convincing win against Kings. Despite their early slip-up, it would appear they are the only team capable of preventing High from claiming another premiership. Although, with this years GPS topics, I suspect that any team could take a win if they get on the right side of the debate.

saville_row

Frank Row (1)
results from Hume Barbour CHS State Finals on Friday at USyd Great Hall.
NORTH Sydney Girls AFF with one CHS rep and two year 11s v. Smiths Hill NEG with one NSWDU member and a year 12 team, on we should have greater representation of women in parliament. Smiths Hill win on a controversial split decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.