• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Schools Debating (NSW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatWasTheJoke

Peter Burge (5)
Bizarrely incestuous Parramatta chat aside, the actual GPS teams are:
1sts
Daniel Yim (Grammar)
Charlie Hoffman (St Ignatius)
Joe Bonic (Scots)
Matthew Toomey (St Joseph’s)

2nds
Ben Zhang (Kings)
Louis Saunders (SBHS)
Tom Hodgson (Scots)
Jarrah Lindhout (Newington)

3rds
Wyatt Batt (Grammar)
Lachie Muir (Shore)
Jesse Gray (St Ignatius)
Tom Ryan (St Joseph’s)

Some.....interesting decisions it could be said.

I definitely think that could be said

Shortrep

Allen Oxlade (6)
Round 5 GPS 1sts Results

Scots def. Shore
Joeys def. Newington
High def. Riverview
Grammar def. Kings

Table

5 Wins - High
4 Wins - Scots
3 Wins - Grammar, Joeys, Riverview
1 Win - Kings, Newington
0 Wins - Shore

Round 6 Fixtures - Topic Area is ethical issues

Shore v Newington
High v Scots
Joeys v Kings
Grammar v Riverview

BringHomeTheBacon

Bob McCowan (2)
The CAS representative teams are as follows:

CAS Firsts
1. William Solomon (Barker)
2. James Price (Knox)
3. Julian (Cranbrook)
4. Bill Pan (Knox)

CAS Seconds
1. Thomas Lukic (St Aloysius)
2. Catherine Ku (Barker)
3. James Kapaniris (Trinity)
4. Angus Mullins (Waverly)

I'm assuming CHS teams will be finalised soon, and then all that's left is Archdale, although I believe the Archdale Firsts team is largely predictable.

#1 Rugby Fan

Bob McCowan (2)
The CAS representative teams are as follows:

CAS Firsts
1. William Solomon (Barker)
2. James Price (Knox)
3. Julian (Cranbrook)
4. Bill Pan (Knox)

CAS Seconds
1. Thomas Lukic (St Aloysius)
2. Catherine Ku (Barker)
3. James Kapaniris (Trinity)
4. Angus Mullins (Waverly)

I'm assuming CHS teams will be finalised soon, and then all that's left is Archdale, although I believe the Archdale Firsts team is largely predictable.

Archdale is in
1sts:
  1. Ella Finlay (MLC, 12)
  2. Jade Lin (PLC Sydney, 12)
  3. Isabella Monardo (Kincoppal, 12)
  4. Adelaide Hayes (4th Speaker) (Monte, 11)
2nds:
1. Winnie Yuan (Abbotsleigh, 11)
2. Sophie Mok (Pymble, 10)
3. Ruby Adler (SCEGGS, 11)
4. Maddy Rogers (Abbotsleigh, 12)
(speaking order TBD)

3rds: Prashana Comarasamy (Tara), Anna Ho (SCEGGS), Allegra McCormack (Kambala), Anna Brew (MLC) and Georgia Cooper (Monte) (Speaking order TBD)

Will be an exciting reps season

Blueandwhite4ever

Frank Row (1)
this years reps debates look to be really interesting!

of note is that james price is captain of the cas team despite being only in year 10. as far as i can tell this is first non year 12 since bo seo and the first year 10 ever. i wonder how this will impact the chances of the cas 1sts team.

Shortrep

Allen Oxlade (6)
1sts Debating Results Round 6

Newington def. Shore
High def. Scots
Joeys def. Kings
Grammar def. Riverview

1sts Debating Table

6 Wins - High
4 Wins - Scots, Joeys, Grammar
3 Wins - Riverview
2 Wins - Newington
1 Win - Kings
0 Wins - Shore

Therefore, going into the final round, High have won the 1sts comp.

2nds Debating Results

Newington def. Shore
High def. Scots
Joeys def. Kings
Grammar def. Riverview

So all the same results as in firsts

2nds Debating Table

5 Wins - Scots, High, Grammar
4 Wins - Shore
2 Wins - Riverview, Newington
1 Win - Joeys
0 Wins - Kings

Therefore, going into the final debate, the winner of Scots and Grammar will win the 2nds comp, possibly joint with high if they beat Shore

Final Round (Round 7) GPS Fixtures - Topic Area: Science in Society

Shore v High
Scots v Grammar
Riverview v Joeys
Newington v Kings

Tuamasaga

Bob McCowan (2)
this years reps debates look to be really interesting!

of note is that james price is captain of the cas team despite being only in year 10. as far as i can tell this is first non year 12 since bo seo and the first year 10 ever. i wonder how this will impact the chances of the cas 1sts team.

Two out of the three coaches for CAS Reps are from Knox - their 1sts Head Coach and Newington old boy Clyde Welsh and their Oratory MIC and Aloys old boy Ben Jackson who have no doubt had significant say in the selections. This could explain why Knox has 2 people in the 1sts despite losing to both Barker and Cranbrook. With that being said, we all know how unreliable CAS adjudicators are, especially given there are only 5 rounds, and how much pressure there is from the schools to have a diverse representation. The Reps debates, after all, are virtually meaningless in terms of higher honours.

Tuamasaga

Bob McCowan (2)
Bizarrely incestuous Parramatta chat aside, the actual GPS teams are:
1sts
Daniel Yim (Grammar)
Charlie Hoffman (St Ignatius)
Joe Bonic (Scots)
Matthew Toomey (St Joseph’s)

2nds
Ben Zhang (Kings)
Louis Saunders (SBHS)
Tom Hodgson (Scots)
Jarrah Lindhout (Newington)

3rds
Wyatt Batt (Grammar)
Lachie Muir (Shore)
Jesse Gray (St Ignatius)
Tom Ryan (St Joseph’s)

Some.....interesting decisions it could be said.

I don't understand how the selection system works for High boys. Are the best speakers chosen for CHS instead? If so, is there a particular reason why CHS is prioritised over GPS?
Also, could anyone explain why the choices are strange? I'm completely clueless about GPS debating and just wanted to know if it's a regular occurrence for strange selections to be made, or if this particular year saw some questionable selections.

Shortrep

Allen Oxlade (6)
I don't understand how the selection system works for High boys. Are the best speakers chosen for CHS instead? If so, is there a particular reason why CHS is prioritised over GPS?
Also, could anyone explain why the choices are strange? I'm completely clueless about GPS debating and just wanted to know if it's a regular occurrence for strange selections to be made, or if this particular year saw some questionable selections.

I'm pretty sure the High speakers are first eligible for CHS and then those that don't make it are eligible for GPS. I think the CHS team might just be considered more prestigious, a bigger school of public than GPS schools.

#1 Rugby Fan

Bob McCowan (2)

To add to Shortrep, I think High debaters are able to choose whichever one they would like to do, and CHS trials are very early as they have more training sessions than the other rep teams, so as a High debater you'd probably trial for CHS, and if you got in you'd take it and if not you'd hope for GPS. There is also an element of prestige, noting CHS and Archdale co-won last year.

GPS selects by senior 1sts adjudicators, whilst CHS and Archdale do trial debates where the coaches select, probably because there is a bigger pool of schools for the two and it's hard to know all the debaters in them. I think CAS works like GPS?

Tuamasaga

Bob McCowan (2)
To add to Shortrep, I think High debaters are able to choose whichever one they would like to do, and CHS trials are very early as they have more training sessions than the other rep teams, so as a High debater you'd probably trial for CHS, and if you got in you'd take it and if not you'd hope for GPS. There is also an element of prestige, noting CHS and Archdale co-won last year.

GPS selects by senior 1sts adjudicators, whilst CHS and Archdale do trial debates where the coaches select, probably because there is a bigger pool of schools for the two and it's hard to know all the debaters in them. I think CAS works like GPS?

Yes, the teams are supposedly selected by the adjudicators, but the coaches have the final say. So the top 3 highest scoring speakers throughout the season don't necessarily and don't often make up the 1sts. And I think that's fair enough, for the reasons I've stated before. I think a trial system sounds great, but pressure from Trinity, Cranbrook and Waverley means that it will likely never happen.

ThatWasTheJoke

Peter Burge (5)
Coaches selecting could be a bit unfair as you'd think the schools with the best coaches, Barker and James Leeder, Grammar and Nick Chung, would end up with those individuals having disproportionate influence due to their rep in selections. I don't see a problem with speaks as long as it done over the whole Season, so as to avoid a situation where that school has the toughest opposition last e.g. Scots this year having High/Grammar last, which can sometimes makes them look artificially better.

Tuamasaga

Bob McCowan (2)
Coaches selecting could be a bit unfair as you'd think the schools with the best coaches, Barker and James Leeder, Grammar and Nick Chung, would end up with those individuals having disproportionate influence due to their rep in selections. I don't see a problem with speaks as long as it done over the whole Season, so as to avoid a situation where that school has the toughest opposition last e.g. Scots this year having High/Grammar last, which can sometimes makes them look artificially better.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all three NSW coaches also Grammar coaches? Same story in Queensland, from what I hear. I guess you've just got to hope they select with integrity, and I'm sure all coaches make sure that they don't pull off anything too ridiculous.

BringHomeTheBacon

Bob McCowan (2)
CHS Teams finalised,
Firsts
1. John Bivell
2. Elinor Stephenson
3. Sophie Shead
4. Nicole Kagan

Seconds
1. Alex De Araujo
2. Hugh Bartley
3. Indigo Crosweller
4. Emily Kim

Here's to a great round of reps debates

errybody_talks

Stan Wickham (3)
Sydney Boys High have beaten Shore in 1sts (unanimously) and 2nds which means they are Champions and Co-Premiers respectively.

This means that High 1sts have won the GPS for three years in a row and have not lost a GPS debate since 2014.

don't h8 just deb8

Stan Wickham (3)
Sydney Boys High have beaten Shore in 1sts (unanimously) and 2nds which means they are Champions and Co-Premiers respectively.

This means that High 1sts have won the GPS for three years in a row and have not lost a GPS debate since 2014.

Captain ever-illustrious must be happy. I never thought Bartley could carry on from the Shortridge era but it appears that with a bit of luck (a lot of luck) in scheduling they've managed to once again dispatch with the rest of the GPS.

You'd think that surely Yim will steal back the title next year, but if his teammates can't cope when he's away then having the country's best speaker means nothing for Grammar.

Do we have a result for Archdale?

CHS selections are... interesting. Does anyone even know who John Bivell is though? I guess we'll find out in the next two weeks! My money's on Archdale.

ThatWasTheJoke

Peter Burge (5)
One's
Archdale
GPS
CHS
CAS
2nd's
CHS
Archdale
CAS
GPS