• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Smart money on shore for another dominant season maybe another hor clean sweep. Not good for gps rowing but there you go.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
My Tips
1. Shore - Not much to say here but they have too much quality to argue with, 4 returning from the 1st eight, two strong Junior eights, and some strong rowers in the fours/second eight. Wouldn't be surprised if the results at the 2017 regatta is pretty similar to those of the 2016 one
2. King's - A strong season's start last year after the introduction of a new coach culminated in a disappointing result across the shed, especially for the top crews. A very talented group of rowers returning from seniors and coming up through the junior eights could see the return of Kings to the podium.
3. Iggies - Given the results from this year, view could be a serious force to be reckoned with as their shed is being built up from a base of good-average results in the last 5 years, as well as having some strong age groups who have performed well in quads/junior eights the last few years.
4. Joeys - Last year was less than satisfying for the hunters hill boys, but I don't see the same spirit and results coming out of their shed this year as was the case in 2015
5. Scots - I think Scots, despite their never ending budget, have had their time to take a shot at the Rennie, and this year, coupled with junior eights results, probably won't have much of a shot again unfortunately, happy to be proved wrong though, I don't hear much out of this shed.
6. Grammar - It would be an incredible feat to see Grammar turn themselves around at this point in time.
7. High - They'll turn up, they'll race. Thats about it.

Newington - I wasnt sure where to put the boys from Stanmore, as they seemed to be all over the place last season, whilst culminating in a familiar result, I'd say 4th, but anything is possible with Newington.

Coxxy

Frank Row (1)
Could be an unpredictable season, Shore obvious favourites but anything can happen on race day, they have strong member coming through and continuing on from year 11. Also training in the winter down at SRC so will already be near peak fitness as they begin the season.
Iggies in with a chance after a strong last season, shed will be motivated to reach for the MR
Kings have some strong members coming through will be exciting to see their progress .
Joeys don't look like anything special for a long time again.
Scots have a few boys coming through and young coxswains in for both 8s, more of a training season as they begin to work their way back up to the top, good potential for the 2018.
Newington are hard to predict, had a difficult season last year with the director of rowing leaving half way through but Richard Roach could come up with something. Already have seen them out on the water a few time and some boys I know their say they are already doing gym sessions. A few of the boys, scullers and a coxed 4 raced today in the JB sharp at glebe, they obviously have determination
Grammar and High both look like nothing special.

Coxxy

Frank Row (1)
Code of Practice
In the light of these principles, the GPS Headmasters affirm the following code of practice:

1. No inducements such as sporting scholarships, whether direct, disguised, or at arm’s length, shall be offered by any member school. Financial assistance to talented sportsmen shall not form part of the enrolment strategy of any member school.
  2. We affirm that the Headmaster of each school is responsible for knowing the special circumstances relating to the admission of boys to his school.
  3. In the selection and training of boys in teams or crews, the good of the individual boy shall remain paramount.
  4. While allowing for some exceptional circumstances, we believe that it is poor educational practice for a boy to engage in a single sport throughout the year.
It looks as if the code of practice is usually overlooked or out dated. Most shore rowers only do one sport throughout the year which is rowing even though they are training at a club. Newington and joeys on the other hand do nothing wrong by training in the winter as the boys are involved in other sports as well, that is why the training is on a Sunday afternoon or early in the mornings and optional.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
Whats everyones opinion on the schools providing programs during winter i know from witnessing Newington last year and this year as well as Joeys towards the end of the rugby season out on the water. I have a problem with the schools doing this, it is fine if boys go outside school and train at a club but for the school to be training over winter its against AAGPS code and something should be done about it.

With reference to sculling does anyone know how last years GPS sculling regatta went and who made the crew from what schools out of interest as we are on the topic of sculling now?

I don't think there's actually anything against it, as long as it is not the student's main sport and they are not being forced to do it. To my knowledge every school does it except for Shore, who have most of the boys from their eights rowing at Sydney Rowing Club. I think there are a few from Shore who have 'back injury' or 'golf' exemptions from sport - and just row, but for the most part it seems they do it the same as all the other schools.
Of course there are obviously boys who are rowing on the National team, but I think it would be unjust to kick up a fuss about that

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
with

I would have to disagree with the point made about Joeys there is a new culture in that shed that will fuel the determination to win which i really can't see happening at kings. Joeys has boys returning who will be hungry after riverview came from no where to secure 2nd place last year so I'm tipping:

1st Shore (possibly faster than last years super viii)
2nd Joeys
3rd Riverview
4th Kings
5th Newington
6th Grammar
7th High
Scots not racing this season??

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
I believe it is SBrow. The rower you speak of apparently slipped a disk in his back the night before HOTR. Maybe this relates to you have to Row in the head of the river to be selected. Also do you know if that list is in fastest to slowest from top to bottom?

Yes it is Fastest to slowest, and I just checked, the Riverview rower was originally 8th and O'brien 9th, so you must have to row HOTR to qualify

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
Also interesting to see that some of the top boys aren't heading off to World Jrns and some boys from outside the top 8 made it in. Then again the HSC is the ultimate goal of a schoolboy one would think.

Only one of the boys heading off to Rotterdam didn't make the eight (Miles) The other shore boy in the JM4x didn't go to GPS trials, as Shore only sent their top 4

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Well thats no surprise seeing Shore take out the 4 top spots no wonder they weren't touched up last year. What were the seats these boys sat in? Also interesting to see that some of the top boys aren't heading off to World Jrns and some boys from outside the top 8 made it in. Then again the HSC is the ultimate goal of a schoolboy one would think.

How old fashioned

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Are you implying that the goals of a schoolboy student have changes Inside shoulder? I know that representing your country is a great honour and will be an experience that will last a life time however in saying this there are boys that aren't going to Worlds that easily could be or crews that raced take for example the past three national wining VIIIs which all have the opportunity to go and race however non take it as seen in Shore in 2014 Nudgee in 2015 and Shore again in 2016. Why one might question? Its because the amount of effort and time going into the HSC is enough to have boys worn out, chuck in training sessions each day and each weekend sometimes staying out at penrith a lot of sacrifice is made. So boys going to Worlds deserve a lot of respect for the sacrifices they are making however in saying this i believe and take the sculling results from the last page for example, it is not an accurate representation of the top boys in the nation.

Not really implying anything, its just on this site when it comes to schoolboys the real end point of school is often obscured if not completely overlooked

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
I would have to agree with you IS you make a good point. What is your affiliation with Schoolboy rowing? Also Strokeside whats your affiliation to this topic of conversation?
I think IS has some affiliation to sgs class of 78. HOR winners? Coached by rusty robertson?

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Over 20 years ago. We had some decent crews back then but newington too strong.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yes that was defiantly Newingtons time of dominance however people may not know that Grammar are in fact the 2nd best rowing school if we are basing purely off 1st VIII wins. Its interesting to note that Riverview hasn't won since 1975 and Scots 1979. Will this year be an opportunity for on of these schools to brake the drought? If anyone is going to do it i think Riverview will have to be the pick out of the two in saying this will they be able to beat Shore? So many questions. I am looking forward to a great season of racing.
Back in the day newington 2nd eight could beat most 1st eights. Like shore today.

Status
Not open for further replies.