• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2019 QLD Schoolboy State Championships

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Day 1 kicked off at Sunnybank yesterday. Queensland Schoolboys are picked at the end of the weekend.

58858014_349837329224752_2722678836650049536_n.png

58755060_349837325891419_8862245843667779584_n.png

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Sunny Coast and South Coast look like the teams to beat in Pool A

Think Met East and Met North will go through in Pool B.

Met West would be such a different team with IGS and BBC, same cohort (now U17) won the 14-15's in Townsville two years ago.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
A mate of mine has a lad playing out there and just rang me to say that the powerhouse otherwise known as NORTHERN just beat Met North 5-0

Terrace have 8 x Reps in that team so you could make an argument that the Terrace First XV are well represented with the exception of V2, KVB , CC and Marley and Me

That's 1 from 3 now for Met North

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
My mate who has been there for the last couple of days is also hearing that the Darling Downs #15 is an absolute standout

I will call it now - Maconal Grealy is the best 15 across 3 age groups ( U16, U17 and U18 ) and the best back 3 prospect to come out of the Darling Downs since Jonah Placid back in 2012.Outside of his seriously good attacking skills the thing that sets him apart is his defense , and , the fact that he is not just a bum slayer against weak competition. He dominates the supposed top drawer as well.

The only other guy I've seen that would trump them both at 15 , this decade , would be Hamiso Fidow Tabuia ( Cairns lad and ex BGS )

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'm not going to argue with you about Mac Grealy, he's absolute quality. I'd like to add Ethan King to the equation. He was outstanding at the 15's a couple of years ago.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
100%

He was a big part of one of the scores in a 2 x score game that won the State Title for Met West

I felt he was ignored last year despite putting together a very good year for Ipswich Grammar on the Right Wing

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No. Teams read out and boys informed but list apparently won’t be released until all final approvals from parents have been released.

ATC apparently have their first open rugby rep with Ben Rogers in the 2s.

From Terrace Treasure and Boyle are in the 1s with
Dillman, Ezekiel, Elekana In 2nds but have missed some

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
QLD 1.PNG
QLD 2.PNG
Queensland Team Management:

Tour Manager: Gavin Hosking - Cannon Hill Anglican College

Queensland 1:
Manager: Gavin Hosking - Cannon Hill Anglican College
Head Coach: Michael Crank - Mt Maria College
Assistant Coach: Jon Fitzgerald - Marist College Ashgrove

Queensland 2:
Manager: Andrew Rye - Urangan State High School
Head Coach: Ben Cameron - Kingston State College
Assistant Coach: James Turner - St Joseph’s College, Gregory Terrace

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Hopefully the schools look back at the end of the year and make some changes for the future. I'd have though the schools would want their players to have a chance to play rep footy and give them every opportunity to reach the highest level.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
The disgrace in all of this is that there are GPS schools that have signed off on their League aligned students playing State Championships through QSSS. This causes absence and some disruption to preseason activity for open squads. Meanwhile , Rugby students who would have participated in the QSSS arranged State Championships last weekend at Sunnybank were purposefully held back.

Fact

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
7 out of 20 spots in the U18 QRL Team gone to Palm Beach High students

Would imply that league select who they consider their best players irrespective of where they are from

Rugby seems to be going out of its way to do AA for PC