• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2019 TV ratings and crowd numbers

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
“One factor that remains in Foxtel’s favour is its almost ubiquitious use in pubs, clubs, hotels and other outlets around Australia for watching sport. These Foxtel subscriptions which may number in the hundreds of thousands are not captured in the Roy Morgan consumer data which concentrates on households. Many Australians who watch sport on Foxtel in pubs and clubs around Australia are themselves not subscribers to Foxtel although they do consume Foxtel outside the family home.”

Foxtel's advantage is largely in sport. I think your prediction that the traditional Foxtel subscription model won't exist in 5 years is likely to be substantially incorrect.

The decline in subscribers has only accelerated, and whilst you are correct in pointing out a lucrative part of Foxtels market is the commercial distribution to pubs and bars, these pubs and bars won’t cover the enormous overheads which exist with the enormous sports broadcast agreements on their own, and at the increasing rate in subscriber decline this will reach a critical point within 5 years.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
That's not a good look for the league. Especially considering the finals are too far out.
It's a shocker. Been a fair old collapse in Foxtel interest over the latter part of the season. FTA ratings on One aren't even getting released anymore because they're so low.

The FTA rights are up at the end of this season, hard to imagine Ten keeping up their investment

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It's a shocker. Been a fair old collapse in Foxtel interest over the latter part of the season. FTA ratings on One aren't even getting released anymore because they're so low.

The FTA rights are up at the end of this season, hard to imagine Ten keeping up their investment

That's got to be approaching the threshold of the game as a professional sport becoming critically endangered at this point. If it were Super Rugby delivering those numbers we'd be seeing articles about the impending collapse of the pro game here. Really woeful. At this rate they'll be at NBL levels next season.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
11,368 at HBF park for Force v World XV

Smallest post-Super rugby crowd so far for the Force, hopefully they'll get that up again against some of the GRR teams

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Maybe 15k at the scg. Was raining sadly.
The tv ratings have taken a hit now fum-ball and mungo has started.
Disappointed at the tahs ratings. Should be better than that.
How did the a-league go this weekend?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe 15k at the scg. Was raining sadly.
The tv ratings have taken a hit now fum-ball and mungo has started.
Disappointed at the tahs ratings. Should be better than that.
How did the a-league go this weekend?
No matches this weekend for the international window in which the Socceroos aren't playing

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
I Really enjoyed that Reds game, hoping for a massive games between the Reds and Rebels, surely the occasion has to attract a few fans!

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Ha ha ha

I have always followed the Tahs but I remember the year QC (Quade Cooper) scored under the posts against us AND then he did that backflip jump... Now I have never cheered a try by the opposite team but that night was something special, you knew that team was on fire, so I shouted at the top of my lungs!

I think I will be cheering :)

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Tahs v Sunwolves - 63k
Hurricanes v Crusaders - 43k

Haven't seen a Newy crowd. Anyone got a source?

Edit Newcastle Herald comes good. A disappointing 12,621 for the Tahs first ever Super Rugby game outside Sydney

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
56k for Reds v Brumbies. Sunday arvo games don't rate
I think it’s more the fact there is hardly ever any Sunday games and casual fans like most of my mates wouldn’t search the channels for a Super Rugby game on a Sunday. More an indication of learned behavior.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I think it’s more the fact there is hardly ever any Sunday games and casual fans like most of my mates wouldn’t search the channels for a Super Rugby game on a Sunday. More an indication of learned behavior.
Long history of Super Rugby and test match ratings being lower on Sunday arvos. Peak hours are peak hours. The tradeoff is you normally get better crowds than the night games