• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2021 School Rowing

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
It’s not a year round sport. That is an urban myth. I have a son who went through the rowing program there for 5 years. He was actively discouraged by the coaches to row in winter when he wanted to join a club. Him and his mates all played rugby - a stack of last years 1st and 2nd viii’s played 1st or 2nds rugby. It’s BS that they row all year.
Thanks #7.
That's what I had assumed from snippets of talk around the traps, without personal first hand knowledge.
Further to my semi-serious thought about surf boat rowing, the physical preparation of the Shore rowers seems to be perfect given their high number of podium finishes in recent years. Perhaps it's the mental pressure of success that acts as a lead weight in the boat come HoR time and a new head-space is all that needs to be tweaked for top placings to re-emerge.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It’s not a year round sport. That is an urban myth. I have a son who went through the rowing program there for 5 years. He was actively discouraged by the coaches to row in winter when he wanted to join a club. Him and his mates all played rugby - a stack of last years 1st and 2nd viii’s played 1st or 2nds rugby. It’s BS that they row all year.

Something in between what you say and the urban mythology is the truth. I wasn't suggesting that they all have to row over winter - I can understand the misinterpretation but what I was getting at is that they should just forget about rowing completely during winter sports season - and nor was I saying no-one can play rugby. I have a quite a few good friends who are Shore parents of both rowing and rugby boys so I'm not just flying blind here. Anyway, I was aware that many rowers who wouldn't normally have played rugby last year did, this change in policy coincides with both Covid and a new headmaster but hopefully it's more the latter and Shore can look forward to a more balanced set of results on the sporting field going forward.

Lotsalunch

Frank Row (1)
7 seat. The replay is on the Cluch app, you can see it quite clearly. A friend of mine was standing in front of a couple of Shore 1st VIII dads and when they saw the first 500m split they commented it was 2 seconds faster than usual and started to panic they would knock up

Shore need to have a good hard look at their overall rowing program. From letting the kids make their own winter sport choice, if they get injured so be it, and giving them the winter off rowing full stop. The same dynamic is appearing every year now - they come out of the blocks ahead of everyone but as the season goes on the others start to peg them back and by the time the Head comes around they are worn out, and most importantly it’s too late to learn how to lose and handle pressure. The same dynamic is apparent from year to year too - the year 8 and year 9 quads win everything but the junior 8s are starting to underperform badly now.

Kings aren’t rowing at the nationals by the way.

Realised Kings not at nationals after comment...

Shore are consistent front runners year on year regardless of Talent. development is done well and consistently sometimes they just get beaten by better crews on the day or under exceptional circumstances.

Some other schools on the podium this year rowed through the winter and opted out of rugby etc, but had the benefit of gifted years coming through which were previously developed and or potential injury’s/selection issues. I’d be more concerned about some of the other programs with seriously average results down low and across the board than I would be about Shores program.

Id back next year is Riverview/Kings based on talent coming through/coaching direction, Shore/Scots then Joeys/Newington/Grammer with High out the back.

All these comments critiquing programs tend to be either ill informed or students $h*tposting

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Realised Kings not at nationals after comment.

Shore are consistent front runners year on year regardless of Talent. development is done well and consistently sometimes they just get beaten by better crews on the day or under exceptional circumstances.

Some other schools on the podium this year rowed through the winter and opted out of rugby etc, but had the benefit of gifted years coming through which were previously developed and or potential injury’s/selection issues. I’d be more concerned about some of the other programs with seriously average results down low and across the board than I would be about Shores program.

Id back next year is Riverview/Kings based on talent coming through/coaching direction, Shore/Scots then Joeys/Newington/Grammer with High out the back.

All these comments critiquing programs tend to be either ill informed or students $h*tposting

I clarified a couple of things in a later post, but I don't disagree with most of what you say. Although isn’t ‘the day’ what they all train for? They are meant to peak then, not at the Gold Cup, or the Grammar regatta or something, then tail off. And ‘exceptional circumstances’ what exactly are they? Speedboat washes? Or extreme heat or something else that everyone else to deal with?

I'm not sure if you are referring to Kings in the bold bit, but this year reflected the changing of the guard of a few years ago, with the 7 year 12 rowers representing the old regime, and the 25 year 11 rowers the new one. Yes, certainly some gifted athletes at the top echelon but you only need to look at the junior VIII results from last season to see that this talent isn't carried right through the age group, plus they lost a whole crew of fairly useful rowers from this group. That said, those year 11 boys that rowed (mostly) in the fours last weekend will have benefitted hugely from the experience and all bar one of these rowers can/will return next year for another crack. Add to this a very talented year 10 group, and a possibly even better year 9 one behind them. I can't say for certain that Kings will back up their 1st VIII win, but they will definitely have great representation on the podium next year!

Lotsalunch

Frank Row (1)
I agree with you on Kings wasn’t referring to them, they did a good job, I was more pointing out the contrast where some results come from long term development and others riding a talent wave. I was suggesting that they and Riverview not only have the talent, based on this years and lower level results, but also the coaching direction to perform next year.

On the Shore questions I’m suggesting their program obviously works with long term development leading to across the board consistent performances. it’s not like all of a sudden something has changed drastically in what they are doing... sometimes the opposition is just better, has better athletes, avoid injuries etc and with that the coaching team also does a good job. Kings put it all together this year and all credit to them they deserve the win.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
7 seat. The replay is on the Cluch app, you can see it quite clearly.

Unfortunately, very clear on the replay. Poor lad, has happened to the best of us. I hope the school community is giving him all the support he needs.

Gerald Merk

Bob McCowan (2)
Realised Kings not at nationals after comment.

Kings do seem to have a strong shed next year and for the next few years but I wouldn't count shore or Newington out of the top of the 1st Viii next year as in 2019/20 year 10 VIII's Newington won state champs and Shore looked promising at the start of the season but seemed to fade in the later end, which too happened this season with there Junior 8

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Kings do seem to have a strong shed next year and for the next few years but I wouldn't count shore or Newington out of the top of the 1st Viii next year as in 2019/20 year 10 VIII's Newington won state champs and Shore looked promising at the start of the season but seemed to fade in the later end, which too happened this season with there Junior 8

Kings was the standout in the 1st junior viii last season, the most competition during that season came from St Augustine’s. That said, 7 of them are already in the 1st viii so it will be interesting to see how much improvement is in them.