• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2021 Super Rugby Aotearoa Squads

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Watch out Blues, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is quitting NRL at the end of 2021 to join Auckland with an eye on RWC23. Don't know if that's very All Blacky, letting a guy waltz in with 1.5 seasons :oops:

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm not sure how useful a 27/28 year old outside back, who last played rugby for Otahuhu College a decade ago, is going to be. Even if he did turn out to be useful, it's not like the Blues would be lacking options in the back field.

Should probably try his luck further south.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm not sure how useful a 27/28 year old outside back, who last played rugby for Otahuhu College a decade ago, is going to be. Even if he did turn out to be useful, it's not like the Blues would be lacking options in the back field.

Nah he can come to the Blues and replace 30 year old Jone Macilai.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Huntly, perhaps? :)

Was supposedly switching in 2017 so as to play in RWC 2019, then last year 'cos he hated having to spend the entire NRL season in Aus. I'll believe it when I see him wearing someone's jersey at the press conference.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Watch out Blues, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is quitting NRL at the end of 2021 to join Auckland with an eye on RWC23. Don't know if that's very All Blacky, letting a guy waltz in with 1.5 seasons :oops:

So who's letting him waltz into ABs? I like WOB seem to have read it all before,I don't watch league so haven't seen him play, but I got news for him and his manager, ABs have a few decent outside backs already. Though if he wants to try his luck the Canes wouldn't mind another couple of outside backs........if he any good!

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
So who's letting him waltz into ABs? I like WOB seem to have read it all before,I don't watch league so haven't seen him play, but I got news for him and his manager, ABs have a few decent outside backs already. Though if he wants to try his luck the Canes wouldn't mind another couple of outside backs....if he any good!

Wing is not exactly a position of strength right now....

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ true but they're not picking a 30yo with at best 20-something Super Rugby & a season's worth of NPC matches under his belt as a wing (or fullback) in a RWC squad.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
^ true but they're not picking a 30yo with at best 20-something Super Rugby & a season's worth of NPC matches under his belt as a wing (or fullback) in a RWC squad.

Look I wouldn't bet on it but I also wouldn't rule it out. NMS and Reece made RWC squads with similar experience under their belt.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ Dismal will need to update his Auckland Blues Designated Messiah chart thingy. Here's hoping he's not Benji Marshall v2.0

Look I wouldn't bet on it but I also wouldn't rule it out. NMS and Reece made RWC squads with similar experience under their belt.

Neither of them were 30yo, tho....

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZHurld reporting that RTS (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck) will link up with Auckland NPC squad after NRL finishes so it's possible he may get a game or two if the Warriors fail to make the playoffs. Also reporting that they're looking to develop him as a midfield option.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not sure who watched the news last night in NZ, but zer0, DP, KiwiM etc must be happy with the shape Akira looked for this time of year, almost hope that just maybe he has learnt something and will keep up the work?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ Loss Bleus looking more & more like a proper footy team, eh Dan. Hope they don't completely eliminate the 'nesian b-ball & Paremoremo Jailbreak from their playbook, but........

Meanwhile & belatedly imo, Kurt Eklund's been upgraded from injury cover to full squad member on a three-year contract:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...y-late-mum-as-he-lands-fulltime-spot-for-2021

Can only assume it was his age (29) that held him back while old man Parsons was aboard.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^ Loss Bleus looking more & more like a proper footy team, eh Dan. Hope they don't completely eliminate the 'nesian b-ball & Paremoremo Jailbreak from their playbook, but....

Meanwhile & belatedly imo, Kurt Eklund's been upgraded from injury cover to full squad member on a three-year contract:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...y-late-mum-as-he-lands-fulltime-spot-for-2021

Can only assume it was his age (29) that held him back while old man Parsons was aboard.
Amazing it needed an injury for Eklund to be upgraded isn't it? Geez Blues must be well off for Hookers, though I haven't really seen young Vikena who is out for long term, but must be reasonable to be ahead of Eklund anyway.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
With the Eklund it was sort of a quirk of the contracting.

Last year Parsons and Niuia were on the first year of 2 year deals whilst Eklund was on a 1 year deal.

This year Parsons and Niuia were still contracted but they wanted to to sign young Vikena (who was Blues 2020 Development Player of The Year) but obviously only had 3 spots so they signed Eklund for 2022 and 2023 but he was without a spot this year until Parsons retired. They've signed Vikena on a 4 year deal (he's very highly rated and is still only 19).

Niuia has barely played for the Blues and is injured again so I think will come under pressure from Tolai (Harbour hooker) who was injury cover for the Blues last year and again is in as injury cover. The other option is Apisai who I really do not rate.