• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2021 Women's World Cup

Wilson

David Codey (61)
New Zealand have beaten Australia to host the 2021 Women's world cup:

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2018/11/14/womens-rugby-world-cup-2021-host-announcement

I really hate to whinge as soon as Australia loses something, but from everything I've seen about the bids this is the wrong decision. It appears as though New Zealand have won as a result of their team being better, which shouldn't be a deciding factor. Admittedly if I was an unbiased observer I might struggle to back RA to do anything right atm.

All that said I'm sure it will be a fantastic tournament and it's an excellent thing that there is now a competitive bidding process.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
New Zealand have beaten Australia to host the 2021 Women's world cup:

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2018/11/14/womens-rugby-world-cup-2021-host-announcement

I really hate to whinge as soon as Australia loses something, but from everything I've seen about the bids this is the wrong decision. It appears as though New Zealand have won as a result of their team being better, which shouldn't be a deciding factor. Admittedly if I was an unbiased observer I might struggle to back RA to do anything right atm.

All that said I'm sure it will be a fantastic tournament and it's an excellent thing that there is now a competitive bidding process.

Actually I read it as being because they are hopeful of getting better crowds, as perhaps rugby is struggling to attract interest here. Though I not sure and would of been happy with it being here anyway, as it may of helped Women's rugby in Aus.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Disapppinting for Australia, but there is logic with a nascent and building W rugby, to hold it somewhere that is rugby crazy. Build the crowds and get some vibe going.

It’s not a bad call on that issue alone.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
NZ have won 5 World Cups, so you can't really begrudge them finally getting to host the thing.

It's annoying because we put forward a really great bid IMO. Oh well, we'd be a certainty to get one of the next two, you'd assume.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
they won't hold 2 in a row down here will they?

So 2021 in NZ. 2025 back in UK / Europe. Then 2029 possibly here?

Possibly on the back of the 2027 Mens World Cup, although Argentina would be a strong contender there.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Actually I read it as being because they are hopeful of getting better crowds, as perhaps rugby is struggling to attract interest here. Though I not sure and would of been happy with it being here anyway, as it may of helped Women's rugby in Aus.
If they want to maintain interest they have, hold in it in NZ. If they want to grow interest, hold it somewhere that exhibiting it might introduce it to new audiences.

NZ hit critical mass for rugby participation ages ago.

There's clearly great appetite for Women's sport here, given the relative growth of Womens Football and AFL.

Then again, maybe Australia has just been written off at this point.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If they want to maintain interest they have, hold in it in NZ. If they want to grow interest, hold it somewhere that exhibiting it might introduce it to new audiences.

There's clearly great appetite for Women's sport here, given the relative growth of Womens Football and AFL.

Cameron Clyne did the presentation....

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Congrats, NZ. It's still close enough for our mobs to affordably attend and support.

Hopefully WR (World Rugby) stump up for the non-Euro TRCW (e.g. NZ, Aus, Can, and US) in this cycle so that our teams can get regular top competition in the years leading up.

Cameron Clyne did the presentation..

Say no more

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

As I said I wouldn't mind it being in Aus, and I do wonder if they were worried with empty stadiums on TV? I like you Derpus and think it may of been decent crowds as Women's sport is growing here pretty well. And to be quite honest it pretty easy for Kiwis to get across to games.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
As I said I wouldn't mind it being in Aus, and I do wonder if they were worried with empty stadiums on TV? I like you Derpus and think it may of been decent crowds as Women's sport is growing here pretty well. And to be quite honest it pretty easy for Kiwis to get across to games.
I like you too ;)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tournament has been rescheduled for October & November 2022 plus extended to 45 days to allow a minimum five-day turnaround for everyone, in line with the men.

No match schedule yet but, "The pool phase will be played on the weekends of 8-9, 15-16 and 22-23 October, 2022 at Eden Park, Northlands Events Centre in Whangārei and Waitakere Stadium.

"The quarter-finals will take place on 29-30 October followed by semi-finals on Saturday, 5 November. The bronze final and RWC 2021 final will be played on Saturday, 12 November, with Eden Park set to create history by becoming the first stadium to host both the men’s and women’s Rugby World Cup finals."

https://www.allblacks.com/news/scen...gby-world-cup-as-new-dates-in-2022-confirmed/

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I really hope it goes well, women's rugby is not something that interests me personally(like 7's), but they are still the best growth areas for our game.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Buildcorp Wallaroos have finalised their coaching team ahead of a huge 2022 season, adding former Wallaby Scott Fava and Sunnybank coach Sione Fukofuka.

Fava, who donned the gold jersey in 2005 and 2006, also has over 10 years playing experience at the Super Rugby level representing the Reds, Waratahs, Brumbies and the Western Force.

After working in the role of Head Coach for Norths in the Shute Shield competition Fava joins the Buildcorp Wallaroos in the role of Defence and Collision Coach.

Fukofuka will serve as Attack Coach and has previous experience in the Hospital Challenge Cup in Queensland as well as being involved with various Australian national teams including the Australian Sevens program in 2015 and 2018.

The pair will join Head Coach Jay Tregonning as well as Development Coach Inge Visser to round out the coaching staff for 2022 season.