• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2023 schools rowing

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
Congratulations to Riverview winning 1st and 2nd VIII today at the Joeys regatta as well as the 3rd and 4th IV's and placing well in the 1st and 2nd IVs'. Similar placing to last week's Grammar regatta, but better conditions today were reflected in faster race times.

View seems to have the most rowing depth in the GPS, it has the crews well placed early in the 22/23 season. Long season to run yet.

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
Kings School - Henley Royal Regatta

Just watched the YouTube clip; great effort from the Kings VIII, capping a very '21/'22successful season. Their school, family and friends have every right to be proud of them.

With Edo (terrific bloke and powerful rower in his day), co-coaching the TKS 2nd VIII this season, it will be interesting to follow their progress.

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
Riverview boat shed have started well again in 2023. Very strong performances at both the Scots regatta and the VIII winning the State heat and final.

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
With the risk of talking to my self here, its difficult to see any other school apart from Riverview dominating The Head of The River on 25 March. The 'View 1st VIII is still the only crew to row sub 6 min consistently and have brilliant form, the boatshed again dominated the GPS crews today at the Sydney Rowing Regatta, winning 5 of 6 GPS races convincingly. Depth of the shed is impressive.

Well done to Scots claiming 2nd in the first 1st VIII race today, it must have come as quite a shock ;-). I wouldn't have guessed they would rank that high as they don't seem to have much depth in their shed, not even fielding a 2nd, 3rd or 4th IV today.

The boys in pink and blue don't seem to have any consistency again in their shed this season, probably thinking of rugby...

New has had some decent times in their 1st VIII, but View will be too much for them again on the 25th imho.

Shore are competitive, as are some of the Kings crews. I rate the Kings shed as improving the most this season so far.

I'm biased, but believe the MR will be returning to Lane Cove this year to be joined with other GPS rowing trophies.

Last edited:

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The working class Catholic school from Hunters Hill don't have any consistency again in their shed this season, probably thinking of rugby...
TG, using that sort of language here is a good way to get yourself banned. Respect is the byword for ALL institutions and people associated with this website.

Consider yourself warned.

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
My predictions for the 1st VIII MR race result on the 25th is;

1. View
2. Kings
3 New
4. Scots (maybe Shore)
5. Shore (maybe Scots. Shore have the ability to improve their position and maybe a crew to watch imho)
6.Joeys
7. Grammar
8. High

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Not much working class about any GPS schools these days with the fees no matter what you want to feel.

Everyone gets nervous around HOTR time though which brings the best crews closer to the middle of the pack ones who it seems this year will have a crack with absolutely nothing to lose. Kings & Shore would be the two that could spring an upset if I had to guess. Next best drilled.

Scots not having a 2nd IV and down is poor. I guess it's something most people do know about the place if you can see past the Rugby of the last 15 years.

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
No of course not, these schools of the highest quality and we are all very lucky to have been associated with them. No offence meant, but also was curious if I was just talking to myself, it has been a very quiet thread.

I have been watching the crews progress this season and Kings has been improving towards the pointy end of the season and some of the Shore crews have been too.

The View 1st VIII ran down the Sydney rowing VIII on Saturday, rowing 2 or 3 seconds faster than the earlier school boy race and were 4 seconds & change behind UTS, which was a decent effort. I think New came fourth about 8.5 seconds behind Sydney. That tells me View could have found another gear in the first race, if required.

Last edited:

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
No of course not, these schools of the highest quality and we are all very lucky to have been associated with them. No offence meant, but also was curious if I was just talking to myself, it has been a very quiet thread.

I have been watching the crews progress this season and Kings has been improving towards the pointy end of the season and some of the Shore crews have been too.

The View 1st VIII ran down the Sydney rowing VIII on Saturday, rowing 2 or 3 seconds faster than the earlier school boy race and were 4 seconds & change behind UTS, which was a decent effort. I think New came fourth about 8.5 seconds behind Sydney. That tells me View could have found another gear in the first race, if required.

Agreed The Grail

It's Riverview's to lose in 2023.

This Year group have won every race this season compared with 2021 where they won nothing but then broke the SIRC record spanning 20 years of Year 10 racing.

I have been following AAGPS schoolboy rowing since the 80's (ex rower) and cannot remember a more 'come from behind season win' including setting a new State record.

I refer to my post in 2021.

Today Riverview has broken the AAGPS record (SIRC results spanning from the start in 2001) for the Junior Year 10 1st VIII 2000m HOTR.

Their earlier results at SIRC

- 6th Feb 6.21.88
- 13th Feb 6.25.50
- 27th Feb DNS
- 6th Mar 6.17.76

Today - 13th Mar 6.08.67

Last edited:

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
I was expecting Nudgee to be a bit further up the line especially with their intensive rowing program

Thanks RDL, that's a nice production, Nudgee - The Movie :D. I could easily be wrong on the QLD order, I haven't been following them closely, Nudgee may finish higher up but BBC will be difficult to beat, apparently.

We have a friend's son in the Churchie VIII this year and speaking with them a couple of weeks ago, (although they are hoping to finish faster/further up the order), this is roughly how they were predicting their result.

Last edited:

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
It is indeed Rudderless, my predictions for the QLD 1st VIII results;
1. BBC
2. TSS
3. Churchie
4. Nudgee
rest
The Midas touch

Race 24Final:Schoolboys Open Eight Division 1
PlaceCrewLane2000MMargins
1stBRISBANE BOYS75:53.710.00
2ndTHE SOUTHPORT SCHOOL85:53.970.26+0.26
3rdBRISBANE GRAMMAR65:59.815.84+6.10
4thNUDGEE96:02.452.64+8.74
5thGREGORY TERRACE106:02.710.26+9.00
6thACGS56:03.881.17+10.17
7thBRISBANE SHS46:25.0521.17+31.34

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Dined at the sparkling new Log Cabin Hotel in Penrith last night, noticed a King's bus parked nearby. Their First VIII went up and down the old rowing course a coupla times during dinner.

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
Dined at the sparkling new Log Cabin Hotel in Penrith last night, noticed a King's bus parked nearby. Their First VIII went up and down the old rowing course a coupla times during dinner.
Yes the 1st and 2nd VIII and 1st and 2nd IV are back in the water there again on Sunday.

Backintheolddays

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Riverview’s to lose this year. Talent and depth to burn. Could be a clean sweep for HoTR, junior VIII bit more open.
Unless someone gets on the Duncan Armstrong wake drafting bandwagon they’ll get up by 10sec.