• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

23 and under Wallabies squad

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I have noticed some real negativity is starting to creep back in. Its always been there but people starting to talk random uneducated speculation again.... well more than had been during the super season. Starting to reach end of last season level again.

So in an effort to build some positivity I decided to put together a 23yrs and under squad, just to show the considerable talent coming through the ranks in the last 3-4yrs. Obviously many will continue to come through, but the squad I have put together is rather impressive. Lots of them have already shown they are already Super Rugby quality or beyond. A few like Madddocks, Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) we forget just how young they are.

1. Johnson-Holmes (Waratahs)
2. Uelese (Rebels)
3. T Tupou (Reds)
4. Rodda (Reds)
5. Salakaia-Loto (Reds)
6. Swinton (Waratahs)
7. McReight (Reds)
8. Valetini (Brumbies)
9. McDermott (Reds)
10. Harrison (Waratahs)
11. Magnay (Rebels)
12. Tuipulotu (Rebels)
13. Petaia (Reds)
14. S Tupou (Rebels)
15. Maddocks (Rebels)

16. Mafi (Reds)
17. Hoopert (Reds)
18. Ainsley/Fa’amasuili (Rebels)
19. Swain (Brumbies)
20. Leota (Rebels)
21. Wright (Reds)
22. Sorovi (Reds)
23. Stewart (Reds)

- The front row could be one of the best u23 front rows in the world, maybe the best
- Rodda has already shown to be our best lock at 22. What’s he going to be like at 28-29???
- LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Swinton already starting to look like men amongst boys
- McReight looks to continue our long history of quality 7s
- Valetini is a wrecking ball (if he’s fit)
- McDermott looks the best talent at no.9 since Genia got on the scene
- 10/12 are a little shallow, but 2 guys with the skills to take the step up with the right opportunity
- Magnay has been around a long time yet so young. I keep thinking he’s 25-26, most wingers/centres are only getting their first look in at his age
- Maddocks is quality and judged like he’s 26 not 22.
- Petaia might be the best of the bunch
- S Tupou has all the skills and is an athletic specimen. Just need to get some experience into him.

The bench isn’t bad either.

It’s been years since we have had such talent at this age. The only way is up for each of these guy, with everyone already showing they are capable at such a young age.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I’m sure to have forgotten someone. So apologies in advance

Hockings (Reds)
Hardy (Reds)
Hosea (Rebels)
T Wright (Brumbies)
Blyth (Reds)
ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Reds)
Goddard (Rebels)
Ikitau (Brumbies)
Vui (Waratahs)

All have Super Rugby experience and performed well

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
Wow, I didn't realise Ainsley was so young! I thought he was late 20s. So he must have been 20/21 when he was playing for the Force.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I have noticed some real negativity is starting to creep back in. Its always been there but people starting to talk random uneducated speculation again.. well more than had been during the super season. Starting to reach end of last season level again.

So in an effort to build some positivity I decided to put together a 23yrs and under squad, just to show the considerable talent coming through the ranks in the last 3-4yrs. Obviously many will continue to come through, but the squad I have put together is rather impressive. Lots of them have already shown they are already Super Rugby quality or beyond. A few like Madddocks, Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) we forget just how young they are.

1. Johnson-Holmes (Waratahs)
2. Uelese (Rebels)
3. T Tupou (Reds)
4. Rodda (Reds)
5. Salakaia-Loto (Reds)
6. Swinton (Waratahs)
7. McReight (Reds)
8. Valetini (Brumbies)
9. McDermott (Reds)
10. Harrison (Waratahs)
11. Magnay (Rebels)
12. Tuipulotu (Rebels)
13. Petaia (Reds)
14. S Tupou (Rebels)
15. Maddocks (Rebels)

16. Mafi (Reds)
17. Hoopert (Reds)
18. Ainsley/Fa’amasuili (Rebels)
19. Swain (Brumbies)
20. Leota (Rebels)
21. Wright (Reds)
22. Sorovi (Reds)
23. Stewart (Reds)

- The front row could be one of the best u23 front rows in the world, maybe the best
- Rodda has already shown to be our best lock at 22. What’s he going to be like at 28-29???
- LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Swinton already starting to look like men amongst boys
- McReight looks to continue our long history of quality 7s
- Valetini is a wrecking ball (if he’s fit)
- McDermott looks the best talent at no.9 since Genia got on the scene
- 10/12 are a little shallow, but 2 guys with the skills to take the step up with the right opportunity
- Magnay has been around a long time yet so young. I keep thinking he’s 25-26, most wingers/centres are only getting their first look in at his age
- Maddocks is quality and judged like he’s 26 not 22.
- Petaia might be the best of the bunch
- S Tupou has all the skills and is an athletic specimen. Just need to get some experience into him.

The bench isn’t bad either.

It’s been years since we have had such talent at this age. The only way is up for each of these guy, with everyone already showing they are capable at such a young age.

Good man. I think the negativity is a defence mechanism...

Some great names there. I've been judging many of them as though they're mid-career players

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
A few young talents in the Force too who could well come into contention for higher honours in coming years.

Deegan (No 10); Fines (No 9); McGregor (No 15), Ferris (No 6/7); Lee-Warner (Lock); Lloyd (No 1). Think they're all still 23 or under.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
There is a whole bunch of guys 24/25 as well. If we can keep these guys for an entire rwc cycle or two and push through more talent, as the current u20s show, I can only see things improving.

Ferris and Uyen I believe are the best of the established Force bunch that will one day push for international selection.

Lucas is another player I didn’t even think about, who has shown he’s got what it takes at Super level

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Brilliant thread Rebels.

The future looks bright. I very much like the look of the forward pack, not to mention the forwards we have coming through that are younger look quality as well.

The big focus in Aus should be on that spine (2, 8, 9, 10, 15). We can build a team around some of the boys coming through.

The Burke

Stan Wickham (3)
I believe there is a QLD kid who is still in school at Nudgee who is a 10 and already signed for the Brumbies. Suppose to be a once in a generation type player. Time will tell as we have seen them come and go before. Future is looking bright. Even better if we can figure out how to keep the school boy talent before league comes knocking.