• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

3rd test Aus V SA, Perth 30 Nov to 4 Dec

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
If you were to draw a trendline you would predict Aus to win the third test given the results of the first two. Yet, somewhat strangely, despite having to work hard to stave off defeat yesterday, it feels like SA have the momentum going into the 3rd test and that the short turn around will benefit them most gievn the impact the gruelling day 5 had on our bowlers.

Watson coming back will make a huge difference to us and we could really have used the extra bowling option in Adelaide. I wonder whether the selectors will be brave enough to make two changes to the bowling line up, I doubt it and in any event they will wait and see if Siddle or Hilfenhaus need rest (which they will both strenuously deny). In hindsight, Starc should definitely have played ahead of Hilfenhaus in Adelaide. Now we are a bit stuck with having a bowler out of form but worried about making too many changes on a short turnaround.

Assuming Kallis plays (batting only) SA will be at their strongest for this test and the cracks in our game could really be exposed. The WACA looks like its a results pitch this year (all sheffield shield games have finished in outright results so far this year). The spinners have had some success there this year so I suspect Lyon will play for Aus, meaning only the two changes for us.

Best part is that I am off this Friday (from lunchtime) so I can settle in and take in all the action.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't see how Kallis can play unless his hamstring improves dramatically.

I don't think it would be in the spirit of the game to pick someone who is not going to field at all and would then bat at 7.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
This is going to be a great match. Both teams will really be pushing for a result.

I would like to see a fit Watson replace Quiney, and Starc to come in for Pattinson. Fingers crossed that Siddle will be right for Friday. I would keep Lyon, even though the pitch will suit the quicks, there should be something in it for the spinner. Like Warney said; "if it seams, it spins".

This is the team I would like to see:

Cowan
Warner
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Wade
Siddle
Starc
Hilf
Lyon

If Watson plays, his bowling will be invaluable to our attack. That should enable us to play Lyon quite comfortably. I would even consider knocking Watson a few spots down the order.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Watson has been declared fit and is in the squad and Quiney isn't. That suggests Watson is absolutely going to play.

If there was still a question mark over his fitness, Quiney would have been retained. I think Quiney has played his second and last test for Australia. I'd go back to Hughes or Khawaja next time we need a batsman.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd go back to Hughes or Khawaja next time we need a batsman.
I agree, and it may not be that far away with Ponting having a bad run. As for Kailis, it seems on one leg he is still probably the best option for them plus they can afford to have him come down the order given De Villiers is a competent alrounder. I would presume the bigger question is could he make it worse by playing, and what would that mean for the SA home summer? I personally have no issue with him playing but not fielding, while not preferred its not against the rules plus they could probably field him at slip for a few overs if they really needed to.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Going back to Hughes and Khawaja, I still think they have strong futures in the Australian test team ahead of them.

They were both identified when really young of their talent and potential. Both have had a couple of goes in the test team and have faltered. This is something that the vast majority of our test players in the last 20 years have in common.

They're continuing to perform in Shield Cricket and I think they should be presented with chances each time the opportunity comes up.

Back to the topic of Kallis, whilst it might not be against the laws of the game I definitely think it goes against the spirit of the game to pick someone if you know they can't field and you are going to rely on your 12th man to field for the entire match. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
I am hoping that SA will finally perform to their potential in Perth. It has been frustrating to see them stutter along in this series so far with some good moments but then too many ordinary moments. It would also be nice if they could play with 11 fit players.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Faf , AB and Kallis will suffer in this test. Cant see them get back to mental fitness after the drainage of no meaning sledgeing they had to endure in the second test. Time for Amla, Smith and Petersen to carry the batting and Morkel, Steyn, McClaren and Pietersen to show why we have the best bowling attack.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Because both nations insist on having a Boxing Day and New Years test at home. Finding time for a 5 game series outside of December is practically impossible.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It will all get down to which pace attack makes best use of the conditions for mine. Good teams come here and pitch the ball up, letting the natural bounce and seam of the wicket do its job. Poor attacks get excited and bowl too short.

Given that the Saffers have the best pace attack in world cricket, you'd have to favour them. Watson back for us will be a good thing if he can bowl, as it allows us the variety of picking Lyon. Offies do better on the WACA pitch generally.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Sound like a Vernon Philander/ Rory Kleinveldt/ Jacques Kallis pitch. Usually it give the most on day 1. Toss will be important.

Yep, first couple of sessions are best for the bowlers and then it flattens out into a beautiful batting track on days 2 and 3. A lot of games here don't go the distance though. Batting is tough to begin with, but once you're in and adjusted to the bounce, there are plenty of runs. If you've got an understrength batting line up you've really got to throw the kitchen sink at the opposition early with the ball and try and keep them under 250.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Because both nations insist on having a Boxing Day and New Year's test at home. Finding time for a 5 game series outside of December is practically impossible.

The Saffers've put quite a bit of pressure on us to play over there during the Christmas/New Year holiday period, but, unfortunately for them, they can't get crowds within a bull's roar of our MCG/SCG numbers during that time. The ACB have, sensibly, declined to give up these two lucrative fixtures. If the Saffers want a five test series (I do) it has to be in Oz.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
The Saffers've put quite a bit of pressure on us to play over there during the Christmas/New Year holiday period, but, unfortunately for them, they can't get crowds within a bull's roar of our MCG/SCG numbers during that time. The ACB have, sensibly, declined to give up these two lucrative fixtures. If the Saffers want a five test series (I do) it has to be in Oz.

It's all relative though isn't it? A straight out comparison between crowd numbers here or crowd numbers there is besides the point. While the crowd numbers over this period in South Africa are signicantly lower than they are over here, these fixtures would still be the most lucrative fixtures of the year from a CSA perspective (crowd numbers and broadcasting).

I think the push from CSA was for a rotation of location every four years. One here, one there. Which from their perspective, is perfectly reasonable.

However, from an Aus perspective, those two tests are generally the highlight of the cricketing calendar and there's no way anyone would want to lose them for a year.

So unfortunately for us fans, we are stuck with 2 test or 3 test series'.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
There is also the dollar V rand aspect, I suspect finanmcially it would bet better for SA cricket to play in Aus over xmas but I can understand that missing out on the traditional test matches is a bit hurdle. Its one example where day/night test matches could help as it gets most of the test into prime time in both Aus and SA. In saying that, I personally hope there are never day ngiht test matches.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There will definitely be day night test matches.

I think we'll see one during the 2014/15 domestic season.

Channel 9 is very keen and it is worth a lot of money to Cricket Australia.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
There is also the dollar V rand aspect, I suspect finanmcially it would bet better for SA cricket to play in Aus over xmas but I can understand that missing out on the traditional test matches is a bit hurdle. Its one example where day/night test matches could help as it gets most of the test into prime time in both Aus and SA. In saying that, I personally hope there are never day ngiht test matches.

This is something that goes beyond the $ value. It is also traditional to have cricket on Boxing Day and New Year in SA the same as here in Aus. It would be sad if cricket SA said to the fans in SA, sorry, but we make more cash by playing Aus in Aus and so no cricket for you in the festive season. That would be a sure way to lose fans.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
This is something that goes beyond the $ value. It is also traditional to have cricket on Boxing Day and New Year in SA the same as here in Aus. It would be sad if cricket SA said to the fans in SA, sorry, but we make more cash by playing Aus in Aus and so no cricket for you in the festive season. That would be a sure way to lose fans.
Well we always draw sold outs at Newlands over the New Years time frame, even when we use to play our own WC in the old SA when WP and the Mean Transvaal machine got stuck into each other. I still have good memories watch them during that time in the Lamb/Kirsten/Garth le Roux/Hobson battles vs Greame Pollock/Clive Rice/Jimmy Cook epic battles. Not even Australia can relive that memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.