• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

3rd Test Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Bollinger and McDonald have been added to the squad, Hillfenhaus has also been retained and Lee is the only player to drop out. Hayden thus is very likely to play. It seems our selectors think its more important to give Hayden a last sydney test than to bring in new blood. ::) ::) ::) ::) Of course they will come out with some line about Hayden averages 50+ in tests at the SCG and so deserves to be picked.

Note Symonds has been retained in the squad so its entirely possible that the only change to the starting 11 will be Hillfenhaus or Bollinger for Lee. What a crock.

NTA - I don't necessarily disagree with you re your comments on Ponting - my question is who is better placed tham him to be captain at the moment? Don't forget that pup is currently vice captain and is already having input into the abysmal tactics that we are going with. Whats more making him captain to early could ruin him altogether - he has already been quoted as saying that he is finding professional cricket life very demanding and thinks the pressure needs to ease up.

Ponting's current captaining abilities are very similar to Borders in his early years, he would do well to have some chats with the great AB about how to bounce out of this hole.

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
3rd Test AUS v PRO

NTA said:
mark_s said:
I disagree with Pup taking over from Ponting as captain, he hasn't shown enough consistency for my liking and I am not sure he is mentally tough enough yet for the job. Ponting is not a great captain but he is the best man for the job right now. Given his weaknesses, he does need much better support from his coach, selectors and senior players though and I don't think he is getting this at the moment.

I think Ponting is a divisive influence on the team actually. He's mentally tough as a batsman but tends to be a whiny little bitch in the field as captain. I am thoroughly sick of him arguing with umpires instead of thinking about the game, and he lacks dynamism, originality, and the calm leadership that puts faith into his players.

Look at how the Saffer bats put faith in their tailenders here - and they came up trumps with big scores to guys like Steyn. Haddin did the same in Perth - Ponting tends to try and protect his tailenders and the effect isn't the same.

He lacks ruthlessness; we should have finished off the Saffrican tail in their first innings here by putting in 4 slips + gully and bowling at their heads or outside their off stump. Instead he started to leak runs and was more worried about the eroding lead instead of cutting off the head of the snake. Ludicrous that with only bowlers to support Duminy, they could get a substantial lead from 7 down. Yeah the bowlers have to take some blame but where do you bowl when you've got keeper, second slip, and point, with massive gaps providing tailenders some fortunate [edit] edges?
Thats a long winded way of saying he is a fucken useless captain :D
Even when he had the likes of Warne and Mcgrath at his disposal it was obvious he had no clue, but now without a decent bowling attack its all the more obvious. He should give Vettori and Fleming a ring and ask them how they manage with a popgun bowling attack.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Re: 3rd Test AUS v PRO

Virgil said:
NTA said:
mark_s said:
I disagree with Pup taking over from Ponting as captain, he hasn't shown enough consistency for my liking and I am not sure he is mentally tough enough yet for the job. Ponting is not a great captain but he is the best man for the job right now. Given his weaknesses, he does need much better support from his coach, selectors and senior players though and I don't think he is getting this at the moment.

I think Ponting is a divisive influence on the team actually. He's mentally tough as a batsman but tends to be a whiny little bitch in the field as captain. I am thoroughly sick of him arguing with umpires instead of thinking about the game, and he lacks dynamism, originality, and the calm leadership that puts faith into his players.

Look at how the Saffer bats put faith in their tailenders here - and they came up trumps with big scores to guys like Steyn. Haddin did the same in Perth - Ponting tends to try and protect his tailenders and the effect isn't the same.

He lacks ruthlessness; we should have finished off the Saffrican tail in their first innings here by putting in 4 slips + gully and bowling at their heads or outside their off stump. Instead he started to leak runs and was more worried about the eroding lead instead of cutting off the head of the snake. Ludicrous that with only bowlers to support Duminy, they could get a substantial lead from 7 down. Yeah the bowlers have to take some blame but where do you bowl when you've got keeper, second slip, and point, with massive gaps providing tailenders some fortunate [edit] edges?
Thats a long winded way of saying he is a fucken useless captain :D
Even when he had the likes of Warne and Mcgrath at his disposal it was obvious he had no clue, but now without a decent bowling attack its all the more obvious. He should give Vettori and Fleming a ring and ask them how they manage with a popgun bowling attack.
On recent form, I would say not very well, Virg! ;)
But in principle, I agree. Not sure they'd want to share, tho'...

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
For the Aussies next test we need to make changes to bring some freshness into the team. For mine:
Katich
Hughes
Ponting
Clarke
D. Hussey
Haddin (though his keeping worries me)
Johnson
Bollinger/Bracken
Hilfenhaus
Hauritz/Krejza (selectors need to pick one and stick with him)
Casson/Doherty (the SCG should take to spin so go with two different types of spinners and see who looks most likely)

So out of the batsmen Hayden and Hussey dropped, bowlers Lee is injured and Siddle needs more time in Sheffield Shield. Ihaven't gone for an all-rounder as IMHO they are over-rated and if you have a tail that bats as well as ours has over the past 10 years then we don't need one.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
mark_s said:
NTA - I don't necessarily disagree with you re your comments on Ponting - my question is who is better placed tham him to be captain at the moment?

Hussey - mature, experienced, and will give him something to concentrate on besides his form slump and hideous luck.

Failing that: BRING BACK BOOF! :) Smoking, drinking, fat, ugly, no-nonsense bloke who is still one of the best batsmen this country ever produced.

Status
Not open for further replies.