• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

A great game of rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have looked around for a thread, to no avail. We watched a replay of the Australian Club Championship match last night. Northern Suburbs and Brothers. It was just the most entertaining and wonderful game of rugby that we have seen for ages.

Norths are a brilliantly coached and organised outfit. Very few stars, but gee they work fantastically well together.

A game like this at a first class venue would be a really good advertisement for our game. Kudos to whoever decided to put it on Foxtel.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Good post Wamberal, isn't it great to be reminded that you can see great rugby apart from Super 18. I actually was down at clubrooms watching my local club play a preseason, and really enjoyed it, reminded me one of the many things I love about our game, and made the decision that I can always record my beloved Canes playing because standing on the sidelines with mates watching MY team play and discussing it all at the park is still what rings my bells:). Geez I been doing it for longer than I care to recall!!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yep, we loved it. Apart from anything else, they can handle the ball a lot better than our Soup teams.

What gives?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Australia development pathway is quite good right now. There's been a lot of changes to it in the last 5 years.

None of the current Wallabies and maybe only 1 or 2 professional Super Rugby players came through that pathway.

It'll get better, not as good as the Kiwis but better.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The Australia development pathway is quite good right now. There's been a lot of changes to it in the last 5 years.

None of the current Wallabies and maybe only 1 or 2 professional Super Rugby players came through that pathway.

It'll get better, not as good as the Kiwis but better.

I think you can see the effect of the NRC on the younger guys coming through. The most recent batch are probably the best quality I've seen in a while. This should continue as the NRC develops. Last year was a high watermark for the competition but I expect this season to be even better. That's the only way we'll close the gap consistently.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think you can see the effect of the NRC on the younger guys coming through. The most recent batch are probably the best quality I've seen in a while. This should continue as the NRC develops. Last year was a high watermark for the competition but I expect this season to be even better. That's the only way we'll close the gap consistently.

Super 20s and a better run U16/18 program too. The Junior Gold Cup was excellent for the Brumbie, Rebes, and Force development outcomes too, but sadly that's been stripped back. We'll see them coming though soon enough.

The trouble is, that higher number of quality athletes won't come through for a couple of years and we really need them now to help the bottom 2-3 Aussie teams perform.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Need a broader base. I bang on about this, but a wider schools comp that isn't segregated into little pissing contests would help bolster the U16-18 age brackets immensely.

And we've got to decide the real purpose of school versus club rugby for juniors as well. Right now that's a bit of a mess.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Need a broader base. I bang on about this, but a wider schools comp that isn't segregated into little pissing contests would help bolster the U16-18 age brackets immensely.

And we've got to decide the real purpose of school versus club rugby for juniors as well. Right now that's a bit of a mess.

Too many vested interests, most of them stuck in the past, reliving old glories.

Bugger me, for some ex-GPS types, having played 1st XV for their school remains the high point of their lives, more important than playing first grade club rugby. Maybe more important than rep footy.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Too many vested interests, most of them stuck in the past, reliving old glories.

Bugger me, for some ex-GPS types, having played 1st XV for their school remains the high point of their lives, more important than playing first grade club rugby. Maybe more important than rep footy.
Certainly more is invested (by other fee paying parents) in the first XV than just about any other team any non-pro will ever play for

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^ This. We need to devlop footballing brains. Especially in defence and at the breakdown. We don't seem to be able to cope with jailbreak rugby. Which is what makes NZ teams so good. They have the basics down pat, but they also know how to keep their shape in chaos.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Wider schools comps will not happen.

Teachers at schools that don't pay fees are not renumerated for their time on the weekend. If they're interested in coaching sport, they'll do it at a club where kids from their school will be playing.

The answer is not a wider schools comp, as nice as it would be, it's more clubs that have better connections into schools.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Wider schools comps will not happen.

Teachers at schools that don't pay fees are not renumerated for their time on the weekend. If they're interested in coaching sport, they'll do it at a club where kids from their school will be playing.

The answer is not a wider schools comp, as nice as it would be, it's more clubs that have better connections into schools.

An interesting model employed often in the US is the multi-school Rugby club. It's something we should look at if you are looking to form greater connection between the two.

How they tend to work is that they run 14s, 16s and 18s and as above source kids from a range of different schools.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Wider schools comps will not happen..... The answer is not a wider schools comp, as nice as it would be, it's more clubs that have better connections into schools.

Spot on, wrong bloke. Rugby is the ONLY sport where the junior elite pathway's via the school system not the district route. Take tennis, league, soccer, cricket, athletics, AFL, basketball, gymnastics, swimming, etc., all junior representative development's done at the district level. Maybe rowing's an exception but there's little (or no) elite development until boys and girls leave school.

We've got the rugby model wrong in Australia. And that comes from one who attended one of Australia's most successful rugby schools AND did his bit at the coalface of a struggling junior club.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
In Victoria the majority of our 'schools' players in our rep sides don't actually go to rugby schools. The model is there within rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.