• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AAGPS (NSW) Rowing 2013 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
One of my mates has asked me to start this thread for him.
I have no news or predictions but I await his with interest.

T

TheAustrianSchnitzelhaus

hmmm, yes i am also eagerly awaiting the commencement of the rowing season as i am sick of hearing about tua-luaga-mitiki-contiki running over and causing teenagers to internally bleed. predictions from the haus are as follows:
shore: the victorious crew of 2012 is rumoured to have some 5 returning to the crew, and will be difficult to topple for the renny
kings: the coaching structure has let them down in recent years, and there have been whispers of boys from the prestigious school preferring to chase tail at parramatta westfeild this summer than make a return to the sheds. will be surprised if they podium
newington: unfortunately for the dragon college tua-luaga can't swim, nor can he maintain above resting cardio output for longer than 40 minutes, issues that would prove problematic for any steady-state sessions coach rob richards decides to enforce
scots: scots to the fore! or so it seems with the stern pair returning from last year's first losers. the self proclaimed "hero" tim robertson will contribute, making the blue and gold tough to beat this season
riverview: the pretty boys of the lane cove river have been rumoured to be breaking the gentlemen's agreement of the aagps, rowing in the off season, and whilst its always interesting what iggys do with the best stretch of water in sydney, alas i can't see them being a force this season
grammar: always a dark horse, it will be interesting to see if they get they're nose out of a.j.p.taylors complete works and decide to do some rowing
high: whilst high rowing has been moving in the right direction of late, i can't help but see them picking up the numero di chinese oriental in march
joeys: who knows, notoriously suspect, both in their training and their pigment of garment, they are an unknown force coming into this season.
-HAUS OUT

G

GPSwarrior95

i've heard rob richards will be implementing some radical new training sans oars to perfect their balance in the early season - using their bodies to set up the boat.
michael smith of the Grammar boatshed is likely to implement some highly tactical training and race strategies like the maverick he is.
view and joeys are likely to implement wildcard plays for podium positions, motivated by the dirth of young guns moving up into the eights.
Scots will be hungry for victory and a battle of the titans between them and shore school is likely to occour.
Third place in the blue ribbon event is wide open, as is the nortorious second eight division. most notable coach is the ruthless Kim "Ken Majors" Mackney, returning for a third season to the grammar shed. Shore and scots will also represent well in the 2nd's, and view may make an appearance in this tumultuous divison.

R

Regina George

secondly here are my 2013 predictions:
shore: with at least 3 confirmed from last years victory, and two more rumoured to be returning, this will be a tough crew to beat. neighbours of the shed have reported a rheem technician's almost constant presence, as they prepare the showers for another ardous season.
kings: contrary to schnitzelhaus, it is widely believed that this is the biggest year (in terms of numbers) for the kings shed in years - and it will be interesting to see how this volume correlates to depth
scots: scots to the fore! the boys of bellevue hill have certainly been talking up their podium hopes across the board this season, and it will be interesting to see them on the water
newington: nothing special here - the job of first eight coach, after being vacant for months, after the applications of feeble hopes such as theo "s-w" cominos, who in his later years moved to the school, or daniel ryan, a dark horse who has been dubbed micheal j "ridley scott" smith's protege. neither of these boys have any experience at all.
joeys: after a lengthy off-season the boys in cerise appear to be a bit out of form as we approach the rowing season. however, an intense training schedule was followed during the off and i'll leave what in involved for another forum they have changed zoot suits this season, moving from the classical FF0 to a more restrained FF6 - a somewhat confusing decision
riverview: after painting all their boats brown to camoflague themselves against the parramatta river so that their off season training went unnoticed, the riverview shed will have to do well to avoid the ridicule that will bound to be associated with this
grammar: unfortunately it seems that this year will be the alligator's last real chance at the rennie. not much is know about their line-up, but it will probably comprise mostly of the bulk from their undefeated (except when it counted) year 10 eight last year.
high: have heard nothing of their crew this year, but itll be good to see them on the water
tas: will they be returning this year in another division? the big question of the aagps right there.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
kings: the coaching structure has let them down in recent years, and there have been whispers of boys from the prestigious school preferring to chase tail at parramatta westfeild this summer than make a return to the sheds. will be surprised if they podium
-HAUS OUT
CTPE can confirm or deny that Kings will struggle to get their big name rugby players back to the shed......

T

TheAustrianSchnitzelhaus

tas: will they be returning this year in another division? the big question of the aagps right there.
ahh yes the mighty armidale school, well as i overhead on the j, triple j that is; apparently australia will be returning to the "el ñino" climatic phenomenon which will spell disaster for the new england school's rowing aspirations if the resulting droughts dry up the river that was just so tenuosly regaining its volume of late..

@Inside Shoulder? have we any confirmation or denial from said "CTPE"?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
ahh yes the mighty armidale school, well as i overhead on the j, triple j that is; apparently australia will be returning to the "el ñino" climatic phenomenon which will spell disaster for the new england school's rowing aspirations if the resulting droughts dry up the river that was just so tenuosly regaining its volume of late..

@Inside Shoulder? have we any confirmation or denial from said "CTPE"?
He wont be drawn is my tip.
It will take 10 years for the dam(?) they row on (which one is it?) to dry up - thats more than enough time to win their first HOR....

H

Hanz solo

Well I am keen the predictions from the starship commander are newington : they have had some great ergs in previous years but their technique has let them down, it will be interesting to see if the heavyweight of rowing will pull a good time or if they can teach tillife how to row.
Shore: previous champions these boarders are always hard to beat, but with a 5 year waiting list to get in there rowing may have plateaued
Joeys: not much known but the boys in pink generally put up a good effort
Scots: these boys are ready for a win and definatly one of the favorites however it i roumered their old coach got kicked out for getting to into the kids
Riverview: they have been a few scullers rowing on the lanecove but no reall roomies about an amazing boat
Grammar: from last to podium recently these boys have been doing well but it is uknowned if they can pull a repeat performance with a change in coaching and attitude, still the outside chance
Armadale: big boys but don't think they will be putting forward an eight

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Grammar: from last to podium recently these boys have been doing well but it is uknowned if they can pull a repeat performance with a change in coaching and attitude, still the outside chance

Change in coach?
Smith's still the rowing master - and he aint there for his Latin!

H

Hanz solo

Yeah sorry my bad, pretty poor grammer was typIng on phone. What I ment was since mike came in (I am not sure) but 5 or so years ago.they has been a change in attitude an performance by the grammer 1st eight atleast, so they may have an outside chance. Although apparently only one boy from last year will be returning so hard to tell. Scots or shore still my bet.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yeah sorry my bad, pretty poor grammer was typIng on phone. What I ment was since mike came in (I am not sure) but 5 or so years ago.they has been a change in attitude an performance by the grammer 1st eight atleast, so they may have an outside chance. Although apparently only one boy from last year will be returning so hard to tell. Scots or shore still my bet.
he has to be given credit - my 13 year old was bigger than all but one of the SGS 1st VIII this year

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Considering where the various schools' rowing sheds are situated (six of the schools have to do a shitload of difficult driving across Sydney peak hour traffic every training afternoon) it's disappointing to note Riverview and Joeys don't always do much better than they do. What's the worst trip? Scots, from Bellevue Hill to Gladesville? High, from Moore Park to Abbotsford? Or King's, from North Parramatta to Putney?

View and Joeys, pull your socks up.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Grammar from College Street to Gladesville: High and Scots can use the cross city tunnel but SGS have to start from the centre of the city!

L

LeBattler

he has to be given credit - my 13 year old was bigger than all but one of the SGS 1st VIII this year

You're definitely right in saying that Smith is a great coach- he's worked wonders for the grammar shed. However I think it would be unswise to rule out the Grammar rowers so quickly. For three years running now the first eight has been on the podium. In my opinion this has seen a huge improvement in the attitude of these boys and with a number of former world class rowers coaching, a solid foundation has been achieved that should see them rise to the challenge this year.

On a side note: in regards to your son, it looks like you have a potential champion on your hands- stern five of this years eight are all at least 6 foot and averaging over 85kgs...

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You're definitely right in saying that Smith is a great coach- he's worked wonders for the grammar shed. However I think it would be unswise to rule out the Grammar rowers so quickly. For three years running now the first eight has been on the podium. In my opinion this has seen a huge improvement in the attitude of these boys and with a number of former world class rowers coaching, a solid foundation has been achieved that should see them rise to the challenge this year.

On a side note: in regards to your son, it looks like you have a potential champion on your hands- stern five of this years eight are all at least 6 foot and averaging over 85kgs.
Nope he's going back to cricket.....less than impressed with the organisation of the junior shed and the complete reliance on his crew mates to turn up: one kid missed a session on the water in every week of the season! thats in the top crew for that year too.

L

LeBattler

Nope he's going back to cricket...less than impressed with the organisation of the junior shed and the complete reliance on his crew mates to turn up: one kid missed a session on the water in every week of the season! thats in the top crew for that year too.

That's a shame. But yes I would have to agree with you that a lack of professionalism in the junior years is a large source of disappointment, not just in the boatshed but across the board at Grammar... The pretence that Grammar is not a strong sporting school seems to make the students think that's an excuse for not committing themselves fully to a sport. It's a self-perpetuating cycle... although hopefully one that's close to ending. I know a number a boys in the senior shed have been putting in work in the off-season. It will be interesting to see where it places them amongst the other GPS powerhouses

Status
Not open for further replies.