• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AAGPS (NSW) Rowing 2013 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GPSScullingChampion

2013 Predictions:
Shore: Always strong and with most of the crew returning from last year's victorious season they will have a good shot at defending the title. And by being trained within an inch of their lives blood, sweat and tears are a given, win or lose.
Newington: After putting up a good show and reaching the podium, hopefully this year the boys in black and white can sign up to Jenny Craig and watch the kilos shed as the boat speed increases.
Riverview: Why can't view's results reflect their amazing water, depth of rowers and on-site boatshed? If they want a chance of the podium they'll need to work out this little riddle.
Scots: Scots have greatly improved their rowing program recently and last year's second place placing is testament. Thought to have been their best shot at the Rennie hopefully the lads continue on improving.
Grammar: From last place to podium Grammar has also seen a marked improvement. However it is rumored that only one member from last year's eight will be returning.
Joeys: I have no idea what goes on in the Joey's boatshed let alone where it is located. Notoriously inconsistent anything could happen.
Kings: Although having a disappointing year in the eight last season Kings has tremendous depth and a good season to come will rest entirely on whether the big names return to the boats for another crack.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Tarban creek.
Don't tell anyone but I think that SJC SIC not being in the river and not seeing all the other crews may have something to do with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

L

LeBattler

2013 Predictions:
Whether Shore will defend the title succesfully or pull a Newington is yet to be seen. This must be one of the least predictable fields the GPS has seen in years... the only constant I think we may rely on is an ever-trailing High, despite them sporting a suspiciously strong and large stern pair last year.
The winning crew will almost certainly be decided by technical prowess rather than raw power and erg scores, as each school is adding depth to its senior line-up every year from a physical point of view. This was certainly demonstrated last season in the case of Scots- a large amount of training as an eight during the christmas break saw them come back as a unit, unlike the disjointed force of the Newington boat.
The question remains as to whether Shore can dig deep to find those extra rowers with a similar body composition to last year's remaining members to fill up the bow of their eight. Being succesful in this, it would be hard to see any other crew posing a real threat to this dominant side.
And of course there's view and joeys- what exactly do they do down there???! One would have thought that given the attrocious conditions faced by those on the Parra it wouldn't take much to get the boys in serese and their blue and white counterpart on top.

L

LeBattler

Tarban creek.
Don't tell anyone but I think that SJC SIC not being in the river and not seeing all the other crews may have something to do with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's an interesting thought. Although from my own experiences, the crews on the parra, at least in the 1sts, prefer to keep to themselves than work off other schools. If anything, the isolation would surely give View and Joeys the element of surprise?

G

GPSScullingChampion

2013 Predictions:
This was certainly demonstrated last season in the case of Scots- a large amount of training as an eight during the christmas break saw them come back as a unit.

I agree that off-season training is definitely the key to a successful season, exemplified in the consistently dominant performances of the Scotch College.

It will be interesting to see how much emphasis each boatshed puts on the small boats in their lead-up to the season. For example last year Shore disregarded the GPS sculling trials, and despite a less than impressive performance by the SGS boys in the sculling they managed a good result as a crew. In the end the GPS VIII was made up of a number of individuals whose crews didn't post good results at the HotR.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
That's an interesting thought. Although from my own experiences, the crews on the parra, at least in the 1sts, prefer to keep to themselves than work off other schools. If anything, the isolation would surely give View and Joeys the element of surprise?
it may have changed in 30+ years: I well remember pretending we were just paddling as we passed other crews at whatever level we were at.

R

Regina George

despite a less than impressive performance by the SGS boys in the sculling they managed a good result as a crew.

and, as the GPSScullingChampion you must've seen this sculling performance from the podium right? ;)

In other news all was quiet on the Eastern Front this week in terms of rowing, or if there was any news it was drowned out by the incessant Cranbrook cheering for Solomon which continued over the course of the week.

S

#scrumcaptain

Boiz lets talk rigging.

Bow Stern Stern Bow Bow Stern Bow Stern anyone?

Fascinating GPSwarrior95,
Rigging is crucial to the maintenance of a constant boat speed and acceleration during a push. After all 'rowing is just physics'-Kim Mackney (2009,2010,2011,2012) You will find that the victorious German Mens eight of the London Olympics was a stroke,bow,stroke,bow,bow,stroke,bow and stroke. This setup is equivalent to a tandem four, where it is advised, as this configuration generates forward momentum.
Regards,
#scrumcaptain, you know it

T

TheAustrianSchnitzelhaus

The Six is admirable. The rhythm, experience and finesse of the stern pair, with the power and drive of rhinoceros in full charge. The Six is the link between the drivers and the engine, the boat moves as Six moves, quick off the legs, whilst maintaining integrity of purchase at the catch. In many ways Six seat is the Muhammed, the Jesus, the Buddha incarnate of harmony and run in the boat.

S

#scrumcaptain

Have to agree, the six man has the highest power in the boat, and one of the best techniques. In my opinion my best technical rower would be put in this seat.

G

GPSwarrior95

I have to disagree - the most important member of the crew is the coxswain

G

GPSScullingChampion

So it is agreed, 6 seat is the best. Apart from being the strongest, fittest and possessing the finest technique, over the years I have noticed that they also seem to sport the most aesthetically pleasing heads - all-round specimens.

Definitely the 2013 HotR placings will reflect the quality of each boat's six seat, which, talking as a Grammar father, unfortunately does not give much hope to the SGS crew where last year's 2nd VIII six seat will find it hard to fill the monstrous shoes left by one of the most impressive 1st VIII six seats of all time (significant erg training and plastic surgery will be required).

Status
Not open for further replies.