• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AAGPS (NSW) Rowing 2013 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

northman91

Frank Nicholson (4)
Ken St Heaps (RIP) gone. Nick Loyd gone. Michael Doyle gone. Bob Shirlaw gone. HOTR clean sweeps gone. You might have a little confidence after a few pre season races but I'd say things are going to slowly but surely wind down for your school over the next few years pal. But don't take my word for it, live in the moment of it. Like Jay did.

David Jennings is still there (won 4/5 of the last Major Rennie's). Gary Uebergang is still there. All the quads coaches have remained the same for the greater part of a decade. And the year 10 VIII's seem to be pretty strong as well. New staff such as Peter Murphy and Geoff Stewart are ex-olympians so one can only assume they are up to the task of coaching schoolboy rowing. I don't think shore has much to worry about...

G

gogoldenbears

David Jennings is still there (won 4/5 of the last Major Rennie's). Gary Uebergang is still there. All the quads coaches have remained the same for the greater part of a decade. And the year 10 VIII's seem to be pretty strong as well. New staff such as Peter Murphy and Geoff Stewart are ex-olympians so one can only assume they are up to the task of coaching schoolboy rowing. I don't think shore has much to worry about.

Fair enough that's a more than reasonable record. I wonder how many he would have won had the Kings coach not left 3 years ago. Alas you can keep telling yourself that for sure. I reckon down the track though you're going to remember this little anonymous chat room discussion we're having. You don't need to delve too far into the history books to see the pendulum already swinging.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Fair enough that's a more than reasonable record. I wonder how many he would have won had the Kings coach not left 3 years ago. Alas you can keep telling yourself that for sure. I reckon down the track though you're going to remember this little anonymous chat room discussion we're having. You don't need to delve too far into the history books to see the pendulum already swinging.
Be this as it may this thread is about the 2013 season not 2023. All eyes to Canada Bay tomorrow at roughly 10am and more importantly 11.30 the following Saturday at SIRC when we see the results of Dec/Jan training.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Be this as it may this thread is about the 2013 season not 2023. All eyes to Canada Bay tomorrow at roughly 10am and more importantly 11.30 the following Saturday at SIRC when we see the results of Dec/Jan training.
Tomorrow will probably be a waste of time for crews racing. The weather will be crap, it's only over 1500m and some crews row around whilst others cruise around on floating trailers and other paddle 10m from their boat sheds. Bring on SIRC.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
lads, i think both fpiglet and lincoln both have strong reasons as to why and why not this regatta was important or not. Despite the length of the course or the weather this weekend, it would be safe to say that the places for this weekend and from now on till the hotr will fluctuate in all races in the senior boats by at most 2 or 3 places, seeing from the results and viewing from the ferry wharf you could see how hard each crew struggled through that crossbreeze and the countless amounts of washes which look like shore breaks from the wharf. lol. i thought the heats and finals of the eights were interesting seeing new's 2nd 8 not scratching up to their top 3 form in the final and then the 1st 8 seeing new, joeys and once again shore not breaking once again with only 5 seconds between the three crews.

All fours showed that no school will be dominant in this years hotr, as both kings, scots and iggies both getting wins with shore, new and joeys not far off the pace.

looks like all schools have done their holiday training quite well and up to par with each other, with the exclusion of grammar and high who travelling with low numbers and form. regardless, well done all crews today on the water, was great to see schoolboys toughing it out for 1st place even in the terrible weather. Reminds me of all those days when we had to train on that dreaded hen and chicken at its worst.

I think the kings/PLC regatta will be the real deciding point on who will place and/or win the hotr.

The GPS Rower

Herbert Moran (7)
lads, i think both fpiglet and lincoln both have strong reasons as to why and why not this regatta was important or not. Despite the length of the course or the weather this weekend, it would be safe to say that the places for this weekend and from now on till the hotr will fluctuate in all races in the senior boats by at most 2 or 3 places, seeing from the results and viewing from the ferry wharf you could see how hard each crew struggled through that crossbreeze and the countless amounts of washes which look like shore breaks from the wharf. lol. i thought the heats and finals of the eights were interesting seeing new's 2nd 8 not scratching up to their top 3 form in the final and then the 1st 8 seeing new, joeys and once again shore not breaking once again with only 5 seconds between the three crews.

All fours showed that no school will be dominant in this years hotr, as both kings, scots and iggies both getting wins with shore, new and joeys not far off the pace.

looks like all schools have done their holiday training quite well and up to par with each other, with the exclusion of grammar and high who travelling with low numbers and form. regardless, well done all crews today on the water, was great to see schoolboys toughing it out for 1st place even in the terrible weather. Reminds me of all those days when we had to train on that dreaded hen and chicken at its worst.

I think the kings/PLC regatta will be the real deciding point on who will place and/or win the hotr.

it seems like you rowed in the regatta today GPSrow. From where i watched it, shore showed complete dominance, leaving the rest of the crews behind. Talk of the newington 2nd VIII and 1st IV having a chance is just trying to boost the confidence of the newington crews. It won't happen due to the overpowering and overwhelming shore crews. Joeys looking good, but still not a chance. Riverview way behind, along with a lack luster scots. One thing is true though GPSrow, Kings/PLC regatta will show a lot more, but there are always the foxes which arise in this time of the year. We all know, its all about the HOTR and all crews will do whatever they have to, to have a shot at victory.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
it seems like you rowed in the regatta today GPSrow. .
^^
maybe with a name like yours, you could be rowing in the senior squad?

where are these ridiculous rumours coming from?? i was there with my umbrella and driza-bone on haha. i only live in concord you know.

Moderator, I don't like this demeaning comments about me thinking that I row in the senior squad or a particular crew. i have done my years slugging it out with rob rowland and all those rows to silver water. I'm simply reporting on what happened and slowly weaning my way off show too much newington bias. I can how these rumours arise.

O

overratedGPS

Grammar is clearly not far off the pace for 2nd and 3rd. Your skills of logic require some work if you're going to claim all schools made good improvements in the holidays except for grammar when they beat Kings and Ignatius comfortably (by 4.5 and 10 seconds respectively), whilst also placing only 3 seconds behind Newington and 5 behind 2nd placed jeoys. A vast improvement on their races to date, wouldn't you say?

The GPS Rower

Herbert Moran (7)
^^
maybe with a name like yours, you could be rowing in the senior squad?

where are these ridiculous rumours coming from?? i was there with my umbrella and driza-bone on haha. i only live in concord you know.

Moderator, I don't like this demeaning comments about me thinking that I row in the senior squad or a particular crew. i have done my years slugging it out with rob rowland and all those rows to silver water. I'm simply reporting on what happened and slowly weaning my way off show too much newington bias. I can how these rumours arise.

your not reporting, you a that bias and don't realise. it is obvious you went to newington (rob rowland) and as i have said earlier in my posts, like to boost the confidence of the boys. If your still at the school or have left, it doesn't matter. Be more realistic with your posts and not always go on about how well they have been training or rowing or racing!

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Grammar is clearly not far off the pace for 2nd and 3rd. Your skills of logic require some work if you're going to claim all schools made good improvements in the holidays except for grammar when they beat Kings and Ignatius comfortably (by 4.5 and 10 seconds respectively), whilst also placing only 3 seconds behind Newington and 5 behind 2nd placed jeoys. A vast improvement on their races to date, wouldn't you say?

yes for one crew in their shed, i can totally agree.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
your not reporting, you a that bias and don't realise. it is obvious you went to newington (rob rowland) and as i have said earlier in my posts, like to boost the confidence of the boys. If your still at the school or have left, it doesn't matter. Be more realistic with your posts and not always go on about how well they have been training or rowing or racing!

all your recents posts are simplying putting other forumers or putting certain people down in the coaching department of the newington shed. Trying to boost your own confidence there?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
How 'bout you boys desist from this pissing contest? Rowing's a hard enough sport as it is without spectators like you lot standing on the shore puffing your chests out. It's schoolboys, for chrissake, let them get on with enjoying one of the great amateur events remaining in our complicated lives. The best crew invariably wins the HotR, the second best crew comes second, etc. .....

If you haven't got anything meaningful to report on this year's rowing, don't.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
it seems like you rowed in the regatta today GPSrow. From where i watched it, shore showed complete dominance, leaving the rest of the crews behind. Talk of the newington 2nd VIII and 1st IV having a chance is just trying to boost the confidence of the newington crews. It won't happen due to the overpowering and overwhelming shore crews. Joeys looking good, but still not a chance. Riverview way behind, along with a lack luster scots. One thing is true though GPSrow, Kings/PLC regatta will show a lot more, but there are always the foxes which arise in this time of the year. We all know, its all about the HOTR and all crews will do whatever they have to, to have a shot at victory.
Yep. I think Scots were so lacklustre they were rowing so far behind they were on the Nepean! I hear their stroke was injured probably during an arduous session of bagpipe practice. The curse of Hen & Chicken still an issue with a lot of crews following the shoreline and finishing outside the marker buoys. Hope the New and Shore boys managed to fit in a hot shower back at the shed in between heats and finals. Don't want them to catch a chill!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yep. I think Scots were so lacklustre they were rowing so far behind they were on the Nepean! I hear their stroke was injured probably during an arduous session of bagpipe practice. The curse of Hen & Chicken still an issue with a lot of crews following the shoreline and finishing outside the marker buoys. Hope the New and Shore boys managed to fit in a hot shower back at the shed in between heats and finals. Don't want them to catch a chill!
Put it back in the main channel - where men were men and the boats needed a self draining cockpit

S

Scotty#1

Meanwhile whilst all the so called "overpowering and overwhelming shore crews" St Josephs, Newington bla bla were swishing around in the waste of time Hen & Chicken washing machine: The Scots 1st VIII were seen doing the real work out at Nepean river.

With Sydney University Boat Race stroke and multiple Australian National Team member Fergus Pragnell especially flown in to give the boys that extra edge required for HOTR, not to mention the beautiful shiny new tandem rigged Empacher, the Scots guys actually look really strong this year and are keen to take a stranglehold on the other schools when they slip up at Penrith.

Obviously with the Log Cabin fire last year and a few other things not going their way we know Scots will be a force to be reckoned with, word is they're looking the goods to make amends for last years misfortune.

I will watch them with great interest to see when it is they let the cat out of the bag, most likely with the strong second half race rhythm and poise which has become the Hallmark of Scots rowing over the last few years. Good Luck to the other big schools Joeys ,shore, Kings. You're going to need it!

Robson

Bob McCowan (2)
Meanwhile whilst all the so called "overpowering and overwhelming shore crews" St Josephs, Newington bla bla were swishing around in the waste of time Hen & Chicken washing machine: The Scots 1st VIII were seen doing the real work out at Nepean river.

With Sydney University Boat Race stroke and multiple Australian National Team member Fergus Pragnell especially flown in to give the boys that extra edge required for HOTR, not to mention the beautiful shiny new tandem rigged Empacher, the Scots guys actually look really strong this year and are keen to take a stranglehold on the other schools when they slip up at Penrith.

Obviously with the Log Cabin fire last year and a few other things not going their way we know Scots will be a force to be reckoned with, word is they're looking the goods to make amends for last years misfortune.

I will watch them with great interest to see when it is they let the cat out of the bag, most likely with the strong second half race rhythm and poise which has become the Hallmark of Scots rowing over the last few years. Good Luck to the other big schools Joeys ,shore, Kings. You're going to need it!

How come they were near the start line before the 1st 8 heat with their coach Steve Stewart then?

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
How come they were near the start line before the 1st 8 heat with their coach Steve Stewart then?
They weren't.... you must have been imagining the ghosts of regattas past. I wasn't kidding when I said they were up on the Nepean. That bagpipe rehearsal can do some real damage. I heard the Syd Uni stroke was choppered in, low level and had to do a commando style insertion into the boat. Any crew training up there with that flow after a deluge is of course gonna look as if its moving fast. Wonder how they went going upstream? Empachers are so 2003... yawn. How many schools over the years have had new boats and still haven't won? I think they got the boat just to colour coordinate with their understated Scots Rowing 4WD.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
gents, just wondering if any of you have footage to post of other GPS schools' races etc etc, found some last night on the youtube, have a look

also in that second link, who is that coxswain? seems like good coxswain, not at new anymore??

Status
Not open for further replies.