• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ABCTV Shute Shield Coverage - The Sleeping Pill

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Am I the only one who thinks the ABC TV coverage of Shute Shield is about as interesting as masturbating with a cheese grater??

Papworth and that Morrison bloke keep the crowd on the edge of their seats, only because they are about to nodd off....

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
You want to replace them with the Fox team?? Papworth is on there as an "expert" commentator, he's not there to rev you up but to analyse the play. The ABC's best ever expert rugby commentator was Cyril Towers and Papworth is positively manic compared to him. The whole team are a welcome change and provide thoughtful analysis. I often disagree with both Papworth and Morrison, but they are still make good listening. Morrison can sound a bit disinterested sometimes, but I think that's just his manner.

I suspect rugby commentary is quite a bit more difficult than people think.

T

Tireless Backrower

You want to replace them with the Fox team?? Papworth is on there as an "expert" commentator, he's not there to rev you up but to analyse the play. The ABC's best ever expert rugby commentator was Cyril Towers and Papworth is positively manic compared to him. The whole team are a welcome change and provide thoughtful analysis. I often disagree with both Papworth and Morrison, but they are still make good listening. Morrison can sound a bit disinterested sometimes, but I think that's just his manner.

I suspect rugby commentary is quite a bit more difficult than people think.

The in-jokes between Robilliard and Papworth can be tiresome and the constant reference to the schools attended by players makes me cringe........but I do like Ms Brantz: I'd stop to talk to her on the way to the sheds rather than Kafe

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think that NSW Rugby pays the ABC to have the Shute Shield televised. With the huge support for rugby in Queensland now the QRU should try to do the same.

T

Tireless Backrower

I think that NSW Rugby pays the ABC to have the Shute Shield televised. With the huge support for rugby in Queensland now the QRU should try to do the same.

No way - the coverage would have gone down for want of paying their bills under Elphick and Turnbull as well as the current administration. Its a complete mystery how those commies at the ABC allow the tofs to have something like this to watch

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
shute shield should organise to pay for and televise three games a week in NSW, queensland and ACT, one on friday arvo, saturday arvo and sunday arvo. can be on any of the multiple channels they have. ABC plays too much kids junk these days anyways.

T

Tireless Backrower

shute shield should organise to pay for and televise three games a week in NSW, queensland and ACT, one on friday arvo, saturday arvo and sunday arvo. can be on any of the multiple channels they have. ABC plays too much kids junk these days anyways.

And how do these players arrange to get Friday arvo's off work/uni/tafe?

The one advantage of age is experience: Rex Mossop and David Lord tried this in the 80s. The lights at Redfern, which were sensational at the time, are a legacy of it. Channel 7 covered the games played on Friday nights. I dont think it worked: anyone interested in rugby was probably out on the squirt when the telecast started!

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Personally, I don't mind the commentary. It may sound elitist, but boorish commentary can stay with our league cousins.

I'm very thankful that the Shute Shield games are availiable live or on Iview to those who play/watch elsewhere - certainly is the next best rugby in the country.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
she is SMOKING hot...............and Louise Ransome is hot too..........

Much better than Fatty and Gus.......................

IMG_3750.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.