• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ABs vs Samoa *Spoiler*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
For anyone that cares, 101-14. Absolute drubbing, the ABs broke the ton with the conversion of the last try. Somerville with a case of the dropsies - again.

New Zealand 101 (Muliaina 3, Smith 2, Kahui 2, Thomson, Cowan, Donald, Williams, Kaino, Toeava, Weepu tries, pen try; Carter 6 con, Donald 7 con)

Samoa 14 (Mai, Faosiliva tries; Mai con, Warren con)

Half Time: 47-7

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Shit. High scoring game, Scorz do you think it will benefit the ABs all that much? Any injuries?

Big wins over Aus and Sa, cracking the ton against the Samoans- the ABs will be supremely confident. Which is right where we want them :).

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Its better than no game time, but shit can someone tell me how this benefits Samoan rugby? ::)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Well, they may've got a shitload of money from simply turning up. That'd help Samoan rugby.

J

Jury

barbarian said:
Shit. High scoring game, Scorz do you think it will benefit the ABs all that much? Any injuries?

Big wins over Aus and Sa, cracking the ton against the Samoans- the ABs will be supremely confident. Which is right where we want them :).

No injuries at this stage. I gave up watching at half-time. Boring as hell.

It doesn't benefit us or the Samoans at all (game wise). It might benefit the Samoans financially, but that's about it.

It's difficult though. What do you do? You have a game against Samoa. Do you play a B-/B team (to what end cos that team won't be playing until the EoYT)- or do you play your A-/A team and give them a hiding? Personally, I wish this game was later on in the year when some of the squadders for the EoYT could have played them.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
I think the only thing to come out of that game was the cash for the Samoans and game-time. About as much use as a RWC pool game in terms of a warm up to anything.

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
I guess it was a case of mission accomplished. Guys had a blow out (and a big one at that) and came through with no serious injuries. Given how rusty we were at scrum and lineout time you can easily see the sense in the game.
Still a better quality opposition might have been better.
Great for the people of Taranaki though.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I heard that it was the first time Samoa had scored 2 tries against the All Blacks and the second was a beauty so that something.

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
Sully said:
I heard that it was the first time Samoa had scored 2 tries against the All Blacks and the second was a beauty so that something.

It was their biggest ever loss too, something you guys have in common this week ;)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Virgil said:
Sully said:

It was their biggest ever loss too, something you guys have in common this week ;)
Think you'd be carefull. We played the Argies with the same effect before we went crushing down on Newlands. :nta: Think its much better if you have a hard game before a big one. Thats what happened at the WC in France.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
I agree PB, as far as an indicator of form that game means nothing. I hope, and do think, that the AB's will be wary of having too much confidence, and playing in Brisbane rather than Auckland or Wellington will be a huge factor in keeping the heads in check. Going to be a cracker this weekend, can't wait! ;D

M

Mainlander

barbarian said:

Tuitavake was injured in a high tackled and Tests have diagnosed a fractured cheekbone so wont be going to Brissy.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Samoans did well considering the Kiwis had poached 3 of their players by halftime.

J

Jury

Mainlander said:
barbarian said:

Tuitavake was injured in a high tackled and Tests have diagnosed a fractured cheekbone so wont be going to Brissy.

Bro: Doubt he was going anyway. :nta: Feel sorry for him though. Hope he recovers soon.

Major Spliff Biggins

Fred Wood (13)
It certainly was a case of mission accomplished. Could have been bad had Carter sustained an injury or something similar, but no real issues in that regard.

Whether the hit out will be of any benefit for the clash in Brisneyland is negligible, but it would have broken some cobwebs from training. There were a few decent hits from the Samoan lads.

Good result for the Blacks, I doubt any side would have put that many points on Manu Samoa.

I hope the match gave Manu Samoa some level of financial assistance. A one off game every few years won't really do much to help them. Good to see a midweek fixture too. It was refreshing.

I go back to an earlier argument that the PI nations should do a Lions style tour to the North every few years. (Fiji, Tonga and Manu Samoa). I think there would be some great football, and should at least provide a higher level of funding.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Major Spliff Biggins said:
Brisneyland

Like it - going to use it.

Agree on the financial thing - every bit helps. But how much could the Samoans expect to take home on the back of that game in Taranaki though? If they had their travel and accom covered its good that they're not out of pocket, but what were ticket prices and how much do they get after cost?

Don't get me wrong - the experience is VERY important for them, especially their guys who aren't with a Euro/Jap club. But I remember going to Australia v Samoa a few years back at the Olympic Stadium and paying bugger all for a decent ticket, most of which I'm fairly sure didn't find its way to the Manu Samoa Rugby Union due to the stupidly large costs of just opening the gates at Telstra/ANZ/Whatever the fuck they're calling it now.

I might add (while I'm ranting) that playing games against minnows at Homebush is a massive waste of fucking time. I'd rather hold the games for which we have poor attendance (i.e. everything except the ABs) at the SFS, fill the fucker up, and have a REAL atmosphere.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Of course they should play all games at the SFS Nick.

I'm guessing the ARU has signed some sort of contract with whatever Homebush is called these days which means any test in Sydney has to be played there. Does anyone know if that is the case?

I remember going to watch the Wallabies play Western Somoa (I think they were still Western and not Manu) around 1993. Was the same night that one of those small earthquakes hit Sydney. I assumed the shaking was just another big tackle.

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
naza said:
Samoans did well considering the Kiwis had poached 3 of their players by halftime.

Different day but same shit eh Naza?
Of course theres no island boys in the Wallabies squad...

Status
Not open for further replies.