• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

aires

Frank Row (1)
Correction: Sunday Mail has Padua 73 d SEC 0.

SEC competed for about 10 mins but after that were no match for Padua. Most of the first half was played deep inside SEC's half.

The second half saw Padua make loads of changes with most of the bench getting a run. In the second half SEC competed at the breakdown but unfortunately it was only for about 10 minutes. SEC had very few chances of scoring points but their best chance came from a break deep inside their own half only for the Padua fullback to make the tackle - about 40 metres from the Padua try line! Very sad that SEC's best chance of a try ended 40 metres short. At most times, SEC looked absolutely clueless with ball in hand.

Padua's best were 1,3,4,6,12 & 13 with the 9 & 10 both playing well.

Padua went into the game missing four first choice players including Liam Usher and Michael Wood (arm in a sling and I have been told he is out for the season with a tendon problem).

IMO Padua are a well trained and well drilled side that will take a lot to beat.

how many yellows have you guys got now?

Kyle MIller

Bob McCowan (2)
It definitely does look like Iona have found there mojo. It was a tightly contested game as a whole, but in the end Ashgrove coming away with a runaway win that defiantly did not reflect the scoreboard. It's a real shame the AIC season doesn't go for longer, we would see a lot of teams come into their own it would create awesome rivalry's.

IMO: Ashgroves standouts - 10, 6, 1, 7 and their 12.
Iona's standouts - 7, 8 and their 12

This week sets up a big game for Iona, they have hit form and looking to defeat a very strong Padua side that is missing Michael Woods. Iona can look for a major upset with Will Feeney coming back from injury and will slot into 15. It will be MATCH OF THE ROUND I believe. Iona's 10, 14, 11 really stepping up on Saturday and playing with some heart. I am calling an upset from Iona on Saturday at Banyo.

Iona to defeat Padua - 26 to 19

RugbyLord225

Frank Row (1)
Iona vs Padua this week might prove to be a major test for the padua boys this week as they suit up for their last game at Banyo. With the likes of the ferocious Michael Wood missing, the aggression might seem to be lacking a bit amongst the giant pack of the brown and gold. However the no.7 Tim Andrew has really made it his own this year. The work rate of his is second to none and alot of it goes unnoticed. Definitely one of the most underrated player in the competition. Along with the reintroduction of the skipper Liam Usher, I feel for Iona versing a fresh Padua side this week. Havent seen many of the Iona games apart from the trial, which was riddled with errors from both sides, but from what I've heard they've come afar and almost put ashgrove to the knife. However I still fail to see how they could even compete with the Padua side.

TTruswell

Frank Row (1)
Headed out to the Pats Vs. Peters game yesterday, believing that Peters had this game in the bag, however I think too much confidence got the best of the peters boys. it was a very physical game and enjoyable to watch. hats off to Pats. They played a fast game.

The people to watch out for, and who made a big impact in the game was Pats #8 #1 and #10 #9 #2 #18

Pats #1 was a very strong player and is someone to watch out for.

Peters throughout the game had a very slow start, they only picked up their act the last 20 minutes and by then, it was too late. Peters executed very good back plays in some stages of the game however I think they walked in the game too cocky. Peters is a side to watch out for, and they will surely come out stronger and better next week against Marist.

People to watch out for Peters are, #12 #8 #2 #13 #11 #10

Pats forwards are very physical and fit, therefore wining most most of the scrums and lineouts. The number 8 for peters played a very physical game, definitely a future star of the game and someone to watch out for. Peters hooker was very aggressive, and made a big impact on the game with his runs and needs to carry the ball more. Peters number #12 Matt Abrahems is a key player and someone to watch out for. I personally loved how he played however he needs to give out the ball more.

All in all, a very enjoyable game to watch. Definitely match of the round.

The Outside Back

Bob McCowan (2)
Padua no 7 is the only weak link in the forwards IMO. He doesn't run with any great effect, and isn't a game changing playing in the breakdown or defence. The other flanker who wears no 5 for Padua seems to be stronger in all aspects. Both these flankers however work well for the team and do the dirty work that is needed. Brings balance to their stacked forward pack. Should be a great fight for the boys in brown the coming weeks against Iona and Peters

Stan Wickham (3)
IMO I believe that the #1 from pats is a great player with a great amount of skill for a front row, but he is a constant liability for this pats team. Week in week out his poor discipline has cost them numerous penalties and somehow only his first yellow card.

The outstanding players for pats would be #2 #4 #5 #10 #12 and # 15. The second rows easily out played their opponents, with numerous line breaks and dominance in ball carrying. The #10 and #12 played with a lot of confidence and worked well together resulting in shutting down the peters backline, resulting in easy turnovers at the breakdown.

RugbyLord225

Frank Row (1)
Padua no 7 is the only weak link in the forwards IMO. He doesn't run with any great effect, and isn't a game changing playing in the breakdown or defence. The other flanker who wears no 5 for Padua seems to be stronger in all aspects. Both these flankers however work well for the team and do the dirty work that is needed. Brings balance to their stacked forward pack. Should be a great fight for the boys in brown the coming weeks against Iona and Peters

Im afraid we will have to agree to disagree, the Padua 7 may not run with a whole lot of intent, but he does the most dirty work in the team and is responsible for Padua's dominance at the breakdown. Often the first player to the ruck and undoubtedly one of the strongest players within the breakdown.

The Outside Back

Bob McCowan (2)
Im afraid we will have to agree to disagree, the Padua 7 may not run with a whole lot of intent, but he does the most dirty work in the team and is responsible for Padua's dominance at the breakdown. Often the first player to the ruck and undoubtedly one of the strongest players within the breakdown.
That's true, shows good heart and gets dirty. Poor kid runs like a dinosaur, but gives it a red hot crack

Jason Robindon

Frank Row (1)
Pats #14 Lachlan Kearney brought his own ball to the game against Peters on the weekend scoring three meat pies . Trying to tackle him was as difficult as playing darts with spaghetti. Kearney scored the opening try within the first minute of the game giving Pats the early momentum and in the dying minutes of the game with Pats only up by 4 points, it was again Kearney who broke the hearts of the Peters players and supporters who looked about as happy as a penguin in a microwave.

Halapus

Frank Row (1)
the battle that will be taking place in two weeks time @ curlew park between SPC VS MCA will be one not to miss, as both #10s will be looking to cement their place in the AIC 1 team, who will come out on top??????

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
the battle that will be taking place in two weeks time @ curlew park between SPC VS MCA will be one not to miss, as both #10s will be looking to cement their place in the AIC 1 team, who will come out on top??????

I believe St Pats #10 Gwynn-Jones will have the goods come round 6. His kicking game is second to none.
His 3 goals on the weekend should also help sway the selectors.
Providing he doesn't get stuck with the forwards like was seen against SPLC he should prove better hands down.

Franklin

Frank Row (1)
I think the greatest part about the Padua first XV is how many league players they have in their starting lineup. A total of 10 players in their current lineup are league players including the 1,5,6,8,9,10,12,13,14,15 not to mention majority of the bench. This is evident in the way they play, straight, hard and fast, and not afraid to throw the ball when space is identified.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A lot of immature nonsense is being posted on this thread. The offending posts have been deleted.

Posters, particularly ones with low post counts, need to lift their game.

Moderators have better things to do with their time than filtering out schoolyard rubbish that should be on Facebook, Twitter, snapchat or whatever is the in vogue social media tool.

Take this as a general warning. Posts will be summarily deleted and bans issued without further warning.

This is not a democracy. This site and forums have rules and standards. Please comply or your stay here may be short.

Fencesitter11

Stan Wickham (3)
Tips for Round 5

Ashgrove v Peters
Game of the round – both teams have suffered disappointments over the last couple of weeks – and I expect them to give 100% to atone for those defeats. Peter’s backs have the firepower to cause headaches for Ashgrove and their forwards punch above their weight – Ashgrove will try and rumble through the forwards and fight fire with fire in the backs – game should be worth the price of admission alone J Staying with the home team theory.
Villa v Eddies
This will be tight…despite what has been bandied around on this forum, neither side has been competitive against the top 4 teams – reality says there has been some cricket scores. This is their chance to let their football do the talking – Eddies to win in a nail biter.
Padua v Iona
The brown and gold juggernaut rolls on – hard to see Iona winning here even if they are much improved from their start to the season. The big Padua forwards will keep most of the ball and be too strong for their Iona counterparts who despite showing great heart, will get worn down. I don’t expect the Padua bench to get as much game time as last week.
Lauries v Pats

Pats won a torrid battle last week and this week looks to be more of the same – It will be tough and hard going in the forwards but look for Pats to eventually dominate and their backs to enjoy the good quality ball they will receive – unfortunately it looks like a one week winning streak for SLC.

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
News from Shorncliffe today suggests #10 Gwynn-Jones may not line up for the 1st XV due a major commitment at a corresponding time. Can anyone confirm this????
This will likely leave Adams, Pappin or Tyrone Black in the fly-half role.
My pick is that the selectors will 'hold the door' for Tyrone.

Seymour Butts

Bob McCowan (2)
News from Shorncliffe today suggests #10 Gwynn-Jones may not line up for the 1st XV due a major commitment at a corresponding time. Can anyone confirm this????
This will likely leave Adams, Pappin or Tyrone Black in the fly-half role.
My pick is that the selectors will 'hold the door' for Tyrone.

I can confirm that Gyynn-Jones has a religion assignment to complete and will not be attending Saturday's game

Joe Stevenson

Frank Row (1)
It's now 4 rounds into the AIC season and this is the make or break of the season. I've been lucky enough to scout around a lot of games this season and I haven't been disappointed yet. Watching games other then firsts, I have seen a lot of talent in the younger ages. And most of this talent confuses me to why they are not playing in the firsts. I don't know most of there names but these are what I think there positions were from nearly every team in the competition.

Eddies - Its sad to say but Eddies don't have much potential in any age group. Although there are a number of big boys in the lower grades that could have potential to go big

Villa - Villa like st Edmunds is a team that has little potential in any age group. They get flogged every week and there's no hope for the seasons to come for the college.

Lauries - Lauries have a good 16A's team with a big forward pack looking strong for next years season. The flanks and second row are tall and hard to stop. Could be very dangerous in years to come. The 13 also runs very good lines in both the 16A and 2nd teams.

Marist - Marist have a number of talented players in the 2nd and 16A teams
Rafter? In the 2nds is a big boy, hits hard and should be in the firsts over the other prop in the firsts. He is lazy however he works hard when he wants to
Fly half for 16A's has a good kicking game and can do things with the ball. However he does not have a running game and isn't anything exciting, still a very good player in the team

Padua - Padua are up the top with the likes of Pats, Lauries and Marist in nearly every age group. There is a lot of talent in the 2nd and 16A age groups at the school
The 16A fly half is very talented, I believe he got dropped after the first trial game starting in the firsts but still don't know why. He has a big kicking game and has one of the best passing games I've seen. Definitely should be starting over the 10 currently. However, he doesn't run the ball and doesn't look confident in doing so.
2nds inside centre runs harder then anyone I've seen in the comp. he looks as if he feels nothing and he acts it aswell. He drops the ball alot and over commits play. But don't be surprised to see him getting a call up if someone gets injured

Peters - Peters are different to what I expected them to be this season as there firsts are up the top of the ladder just under the likes of Padua and Marist. St Peters 2nds haven't been going very well however and this is the same with there 16A's however jungala?? Is a kid with a lot of potential. He has a very good running game and has very good feet. He is extremely hard to stop however he has no one outside of him to support. Should be starting over the 15. He does have his flaws however in that he does go himself alot and doesn't look to pass. Sometimes poor decision making. Wouldn't mind to see him get a run in the firsts

Pats - Pats have the best 15's in the AIC competition and they are proving that this season, they have a number of good players but other then this they play good as a team. Could see a lot of these faces like Ethan Rees in the firsts next season.
16A's and 2nds don't have many players with potential.

Iona - Iona sit in the middle of AIC rugby nearly every year. There is a bit of potential in the seconds but not any individuals.
The 16A's number 8 Bailey?? However is a workhorse and is a very good footballer. He runs and hits harder then most of the first forward pack and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a run sooner or later as he deserves it.

TTruswell

Frank Row (1)
St Peters Vs. Marist College
Round #4 | Definitely Match Of The Round

This game is the final decision for both sides for the spot at second for the premiership. Both teams are very well trained and work ethic is on point with forwards and backs. As they have both lost in a narrow game, both sides will come back stronger. This match is a game not to be missed as both sides are tough and rough on the pitch.

IMO Peters to win by 10+. Although marist backs are very skill fulled and hard on the pill. Peters forwards are likely to disrupt the line. The backs are on point in terms of back plays. However Marist forwards is most likely to cause damage to the Peters line. Marist prop Emosi Tiquri will play hard and when he gets momentum, it is hard to stop a train on its train track. I heard their fullback is also not one to miss as he is fast on the ball and foot work is prime.

I believe Peters has this win with forward units such as Charlie Dalmin playing at #8 and hooker Mahoney Duma will cause alot of destruction on the pitch. This game will mainly be a game of the forwards as both sides are well trained.

Matthew Abrahams and Braden Cambell in Peters are also not to be missed in the peters side as both have made multiple rep teams for league and union and are highly skilled when running with the ball.

Tyson Cooper playing at #12 for Marist is also one to watch when he is on the pill.

Overall this game is one not to miss

Status
Not open for further replies.