• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Galloper,
I just see this as possibly the beginning of the end. Maybe I am jumping at shadows but there is a good rationale to enhance the rugby season not complement it with RL!

I do see your point on Confraternity but that is one week in the holidays, not 7 weeks in the term. Why trial for 2 years if there aren't bigger visions for RL in place?

Perhaps this move does not necessarily negatively impact the current AIC rugby programme (which is limited by time particularly at levels below First and Second XV) but I think it is a missed opportunity to extend the rugby into a unique home & away school competition across Term 2 and 3. A chance at redemption in term 3 for teams who lost in term 2 and a chance for boys who were injured in term 2 to represent in term 3 (many boys in this bucket in MCA in the last few years). I don't think the fields are used for anything else and what's the alternative in Term 3? Going and playing club against teams that from age 14/15 don't have their GPS boys because they are focused on their own school comp.

A longer season is better for skill development and the quality of rugby (which starts to peak in week 6 and 7) is given a chance to mature across a longer timeframe.

And yes, perhaps there won't be a spike in numbers to or from AIC schools. Not in this initial trial period but longer term.?

Just think if we are to be slightly competitive with NZ rugby, we need longer seasons than 7 weeks plus the odd trial match.

I'm not sure if you remember PH, but in the late 80's/early 90's TAS rugby teams did play two "home and away" rounds, with a final series for the top three culminating in a grand final being played at a neutral venue.

I can't say when or why this arrangement ceased, but from memory there were only 5 teams in the TAS "Blue" division which is why they were able to squeeze two rounds and a two week final series into one term.

There's no doubt that most fans of schoolboy rugby, both AIC and GPS, would love to see home and away rounds, and the boys would love it too, but we all know that in the modern era a rugby season extending over 2 terms is never going to happen.

I absolutely agree that a longer rugby season for schoolboys would be conducive to producing better players (and I'm sure the GPS boys would love pre-season to last for only one term instead of two), but the school associations certainly don't have that aim on their agendas.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
I don't like being fed baloney.

"For this review, the AIC engaged a highly qualified team led by Professor Cliff Mallett and his colleagues at the University of Queensland. This team undertook a research phase that included survey contributions from more than 4700 students, parents and staff across our eight member schools."

So it was an independent review? Right ? Wrong!

https://www.uq.edu.au/news/article/2015/12/man-inside-minds-of-cowboys-become-professor

https://playnrl.com/coach/2016-national-coaching-conference/speakers-workshops/

I am going to do my own review and it will be a "highly qualified team" led by Chris Handy and Gordon Bray.

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
The 2 year RL trial (single team per age group) is a loaded gun for AIC rugby in the longer term. With only 1 team per age group its likely that demand will outstrip supply and the results will reflect the need for an expanded comp with an increased number of teams. This coupled with the popularity of league and increased pathways on offer as opposed to the poorly run ARU (who cancelled last years Aust Schoolboys trip to the UK) and the significant decline of Rugby in this country will drive the nail into the AIC rugby coffin.
Moving soccer to T3 in conjunction with RL may be the only hope. That way technically more kids may play rugby in T2. Consideration should also be had to introducing a Rugby 7s AIC comp in T3 following the T2 XV comp.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
RL will be on sat AFL on Fri nights, It was GPS that F'd with tradition when they moved to term 3 so you could say tradition holding at AIC.
Yeah but .............

All Rugby Rep Pathways from U15 onwards are slated into September / October

Rugby in Term 3 makes sense - in isolation , and only , to align to external Rugby opportunities for developing Rugby players

However , Schools don’t solely operate for Rugby

Ali Barber

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think I know what the pot bellied aristocrats will be discussing around the water fountain at work after getting back from a long lunch this coming Friday afternoon. if they didn't have their Rugby and Rowing to discuss at various levels of their knowingsweetfukallanyway, what would they discuss - these are the same who do care who wins the GPS or AIC Rugby competition and the Rowings king of the River. There's a lot of people who would be sending their Billy off in Grade 5 thinking he is going to play 1sts rubgy and will be the first picked in the rowing. Lets not kid ourselves, sport is a massive draw card for schools.

Bledisloe

Herbert Moran (7)
Pats v Ash should be the game of the round this week.....this will be one of the two games Pats need to win to stay in the hunt for the title.....good luck to both teams.

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
Predictions for Round 4

Ash to beat Pats by 8
Lauries to be Eddies by 4
Iona to beat Villa by 50
Padua to beat Peters by 15

Agreed ASH v PATS to be match of the round, but Lauries and Eddies to be closer for different reasons, namely this being the only game either school will realistically win this year so A LOT to play for. Both could go either way. Pats have not been tested this year, so they better be prepared or that 8 could be 30. Gone with 8 as Pat's tougher at home and impressed by beating Peters 63-0 as ASH struggled to put Peters away until well into the 2nd half. Iona will destroy, 50 is conservative. Padua will find Peters willing but should have too much class in the end.

Good luck to all boys.

Mainsail

Frank Nicholson (4)
Predictions for Round 4

Ash to beat Pats by 8
Lauries to be Eddies by 4
Iona to beat Villa by 50
Padua to beat Peters by 15

Agreed ASH v PATS to be match of the round, but Lauries and Eddies to be closer for different reasons, namely this being the only game either school will realistically win this year so A LOT to play for. Both could go either way. Pats have not been tested this year, so they better be prepared or that 8 could be 30. Gone with 8 as Pat's tougher at home and impressed by beating Peters 63-0 as ASH struggled to put Peters away until well into the 2nd half. Iona will destroy, 50 is conservative. Padua will find Peters willing but should have too much class in the end.

Good luck to all boys.

Half time at Indooroopilly: SPLC 20 - Padua 0.

Havealook

Allen Oxlade (6)
Iona 41 - Villa 27. Iona received a yellow card from the kickoff, Villa capitalised and then hung around (to their credit) like an annoying pest all afternoon. Even led for 30 odd minutes.
2nds went to Villa 28-12. 3rds easily to Iona.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Villa seconds smashed Eddies 64-0 - still maintain selections maybe an issue.

when i read this I thought it sounded like sour grapes, but after watching both 1 and 2 you are on the money, so what is the story there?
bet they don't run them against each other at training.

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
Lauries won 43-19 over Eddies. Ash might put 100 on that Eddies team. The state of Eddies rugby is a bit sad in all honesty. Has gone pear-shaped since David Miles left. If Lauries can keep Ash under 50 next weekend that will be a pass mark in my view.

Vik

Chris McKivat (8)
when i read this I thought it sounded like sour grapes, but after watching both 1 and 2 you are on the money, so what is the story there?
bet they don't run them against each other at training.
I don’t know really - but after watching the Villa 2nds vs The 1sts it seems that they play with far more intensity and positive shape.
The firsts seem to kick the ball away a lot. Also the 2nds seem larger physically across the park. More Year 12s in the seconds.

But then again maybe the opposition is poor in the 2nds comp.

Vik

Chris McKivat (8)
Villa were plucky today but Iona always had the game in hand. the Iona backs were outstanding. I thought Villa did well to stay with Iona for as long as they did. They even led for a decent part of the game but Villa kick the pill away a lot and miss a lot of tackles. Which is crazy - to give the balm. Back to a dynamic Iona backline seemed defeatist - whenever they kept the ball Villa looked ok. But I didn’t think the Iona forwards were anything special. They were tradesmen like and got the job done so clearly they did enough - but certainly The Iona backline is it’s strength. Well won by Iona in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.