• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Fair enough

I didn't pick anyone up on the BBC /GT/BSHS field that I felt were better than him from what I have seen of him this season

Early in the season I know . I'm not sure anyone other than Nudgee's TK on Field 2 ( BGS /TGS /NC ) will give him a run

Have no idea about Field 1 - TSS might have someone with Churchie's ZC to have a crack also

Iona going through as undefeated prems with young Samboy being prominent through the season should mean something

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Iona going through as undefeated prems with young Samboy being prominent through the season should mean something

big call Garry, given the Padua kept them to 5-5 at half time until Iona pull there finger out, and one of the bottom teams put 27 points on them and lead for much of the game yesterday. Iona has now sustain injuries in key positions, there 15 was on the sideline yesterday his replacement not coming close to filling his shoes, 3, 10 , 12 also look very much in doubt for the next few weeks.
Should note that compare to the other teams Iona coach given very little time to bench players, they had nearly 90 points on eddies yet the team remain unchanged, could come back on bite him on the ass. Takes a squad to win a prem.
Pat and SPLC will be major hurdles.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I am unmoved XXXX

Pats are a 2 to 3 man show and SPLC are a 4 to 5 man show . I have a modicum of respect for Peters but not much for Pats

The Maristinians were in an arm wrestle with the Paduans until half time too. Padua have made an art form on how to fold your tent in the 2nd half of games. In fact , I think there is a feature on them on the Great South East in a few weeks time on how to fold your tent in under 5 minutes

No monkey on the back for the Ionians IMO .

Premiership is theirs

And it doesn't really deserve to be shared anyway . They are rightful outright Premiers

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
And @ Nomad

I have reviewed the BSHS v BBC trial , and yes , Nesta Mahina will challenge with Tevita Kaatuu and Zac Crothers ........IF ....BSHS remain committed to playing him at 2

Terrace's best of the day , across both games , IMO, was a split decision between Dan Condon and Tyrone Bad Ass Mofo , although Will Roche was mighty in the first game ( while watching from the Coffee Queue )

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
And @ Nomad

I have reviewed the BSHS v BBC trial , and yes , Nesta Mahina will challenge with Tevita Kaatuu and Zac Crothers ....IF ..BSHS remain committed to playing him at 2

Terrace's best of the day , across both games , IMO, was a split decision between Dan Condon and Tyrone Bad Ass Mofo , although Will Roche was mighty in the first game ( while watching from the Coffee Queue )
Yes agree with you GO , won’t take up any more time on this thread talking anything other than AIC . Good luck to all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Havealook

Allen Oxlade (6)
OK here's one I'd be interested to know. Have Villa ever won a 2nd XV premiership in either AIC or TAS? You do want to take it "one game at a time" but you would say that they will go in as favourites against Padua, then should account for St Peters, which would set up a winner takes all game in the final round at Ashgrove.

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
I am unmoved XXXX

Pats are a 2 to 3 man show and SPLC are a 4 to 5 man show . I have a modicum of respect for Peters but not much for Pats

The Maristinians were in an arm wrestle with the Paduans until half time too. Padua have made an art form on how to fold your tent in the 2nd half of games. In fact , I think there is a feature on them on the Great South East in a few weeks time on how to fold your tent in under 5 minutes

No monkey on the back for the Ionians IMO .

Premiership is theirs

And it doesn't really deserve to be shared anyway. They are rightful outright Premiers

All respect Garry, Iona are the best of a bad bunch. I've seen MCA, SPC and Iona all play. I wouldn't be surprised to see SPC beat Iona. Iona's forwards are average. 6 runs around with bravado. Front row are weak when challenged. Iona's Plan A at the tackle is to seal rather than secure. SPC have good firepower around the park, and admittedly, I was surprised they went down to MCA by that margin.
Bigger picture, AIC are pedestrian compared to GPS. Things speed up, contact gets heavy and they fall over. The injury stops in Iona v Villa on the weekend were incredible. From the teams I've seen so far, I'd be reluctant to put my house on an AIC player to hold down a Qld 1 position comfortably. Talk of the Iona 2 as the best is ridiculous. Crothers from Churchie is a workhorse around the field and works hard on the ball. Chalk and cheese.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
OK here's one I'd be interested to know. Have Villa ever won a 2nd XV premiership in either AIC or TAS? You do want to take it "one game at a time" but you would say that they will go in as favourites against Padua, then should account for St Peters, which would set up a winner takes all game in the final round at Ashgrove.

have seen both teams play, if team remains the same Villa favourites in all three games imo

Managreve

Stan Wickham (3)
Optimistic call , Ashgrove 2nd XV demolished SPC 100-0 yesterday at Curlew

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
All respect Garry, Iona are the best of a bad bunch. I've seen MCA, SPC and Iona all play. I wouldn't be surprised to see SPC beat Iona. Iona's forwards are average. 6 runs around with bravado. Front row are weak when challenged. Iona's Plan A at the tackle is to seal rather than secure. SPC have good firepower around the park, and admittedly, I was surprised they went down to MCA by that margin.
Bigger picture, AIC are pedestrian compared to GPS. Things speed up, contact gets heavy and they fall over. The injury stops in Iona v Villa on the weekend were incredible. From the teams I've seen so far, I'd be reluctant to put my house on an AIC player to hold down a Qld 1 position comfortably. Talk of the Iona 2 as the best is ridiculous. Crothers from Churchie is a workhorse around the field and works hard on the ball. Chalk and cheese.

I didn’t say “best”

I said “ should”

Semantics , I know , but there is a difference in how things can work some time around a selection table - and especially in this brave new world of higher desire in inclusivity and broader representation beyond the elitist GPS Devil Slavemasters that are ruining the game of Rugby

Back to Rugby .......MCA’s John Downes has had a terrific first half of the season and you’d like to think would also be in strong contention

Ali Barber

Allen Oxlade (6)
big call Garry, given the Padua kept them to 5-5 at half time until Iona pull there finger out, and one of the bottom teams put 27 points on them and lead for much of the game yesterday. Iona has now sustain injuries in key positions, there 15 was on the sideline yesterday his replacement not coming close to filling his shoes, 3, 10 , 12 also look very much in doubt for the next few weeks.
Should note that compare to the other teams Iona coach given very little time to bench players, they had nearly 90 points on eddies yet the team remain unchanged, could come back on bite him on the ass. Takes a squad to win a prem.
Pat and SPLC will be major hurdles.

Iona are lucky they have got past their hardest games without those injuries. Ashgrove were without their strike weapon in the backs all season and haven't really penetrated too much there, Padua left their best performances overseas and just haven't clicked, so it's only SPC who might give Iona a run in the first half. SPC don't really have the fire power to crack Iona. In saying that Iona probably haven't fired since their grand final against Ashgrove in round 2, so anythings possible. The Iona 2 is going very well and looks the goods. Iona will need MP (Moana Pasifika) and the others all playing if they’re going to be safe. I did hear that LTW made a cameo return for Ashgrove against SPC, scored a try and came straight off. Iona will need all their guns to click from the kickoff. They might have the wobbly wheels heading to the finish line.

Vik

Chris McKivat (8)
Optimistic call , Ashgrove 2nd XV demolished SPC 100-0 yesterday at Curlew
Just looking at the results it seems pretty even between Villa and Ash - don’t know that the 100 nil drubbing means too much - Villa beats Pats well also. it’s the other results that are informative - let’s just say this, if Villa beat Padua ( not that this is certainty by any means ) then I think we can say that the final match will be a cracker showdown. Let’s see what unfolds this Saturday

Vik

Chris McKivat (8)
Iona are lucky they have got past their hardest games without those injuries. Ashgrove were without their strike weapon in the backs all season and haven't really penetrated too much there, Padua left their best performances overseas and just haven't clicked, so it's only SPC who might give Iona a run in the first half. SPC don't really have the fire power to crack Iona. In saying that Iona probably haven't fired since their grand final against Ashgrove in round 2, so anythings possible. The Iona 2 is going very well and looks the goods. Iona will need MP (Moana Pasifika) and the others all playing if they’re going to be safe. I did hear that LTW made a cameo return for Ashgrove against SPC, scored a try and came straight off. Iona will need all their guns to click from the kickoff. They might have the wobbly wheels heading to the finish line.
I agree Iona need to bring more to the table against Pats than they displayed against Villa. Maybe Iona thought they would roll Villa easily and they might be more “up for Pats” but I think the Pats forwards looked better than Iona. It’s certainly a danger match for the black and white.

Ali Barber

Allen Oxlade (6)
I agree Iona need to bring more to the table against Pats than they displayed against Villa. Maybe Iona thought they would roll Villa easily and they might be more “up for Pats” but I think the Pats forwards looked better than Iona. It’s certainly a danger match for the black and white.

Maybe right on Vik, I was at other matches on Saturday and wanted to see Ash v SPC. I heard it wasn't anything great until well into the second half when Ash wound up a cog. The Pats boys have been well drilled and very fit. This would have kept them in the game until the last 10 or 15. Given i don't think Iona could beat Ash again, there's every chance Iona v SPC should be a very close match.

Torpedo Punt

Herbert Moran (7)
Big game for SLC Vs ASH 10As this weekend
SLC big chance to take out 10A, 9A and 8A premierships
Win or lose this round, it sounds like a pretty good rebuild.
Especially with grade 10s making up numbers in the 1st XV which were decimated by injury after a promising preseason win over SPC.

Vik

Chris McKivat (8)
Big game for SLC Vs ASH 10As this weekend
SLC big chance to take out 10A, 9A and 8A premierships
Win or lose this round, it sounds like a pretty good rebuild.
Especially with grade 10s making up numbers in the 1st XV which were decimated by injury after a promising preseason win over SPC.
Good luck to both these sides - I heard that the Villa side has had something like 7 front line players out for most of the season thus far which is a shame because last year that premiership race was a real genuine three way shoot out. Having said that the Ash Laurie’s game this Saturday should be a cracker - I’m tipping Laurie’s in a real close one. Can’t wait till these teams (including Villa) play firsts.....

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Do the first XV games get live streamed? My nephew has been selected to make his 1sts debut for Marist today and I can’t get there. Would love to watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.