• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali Barber

Allen Oxlade (6)
Good summation Ali

I thought the standard was pretty good considering how early in the season it is

Marist 13 is slick . Very impressive .

If Marist can consistently get their opponents on their heels this season with the right balance of forward runners - LTW and KVD should clean up out wide

Downlands 10 and 15 looked the goods. 15 especially looks like a broken field killer - consistently breaking first up defenders and linking up with his outside players

Spot on Gaz, the Downlands Fly was confident and had nice easy hands to the forwards and backs. Their 15 loved running the ball back in counter attack, there wasn't much more in the backs. i thought the Downlands forwards were pretty good.

For Marist, yes i agree LTW was very slick at No.13. I didn't recognize him at first, Coaches must have him boarding at the gym but he certainly hasn't lost any acceleration, his takes off speed is a weapon. KVD will get a lot more ball being outside LTW for sure. I'm just not 100% convinced with putting a leagie at 12. LTW and a breakaway were everywhere in cover defense because nobody was getting up in the faces of the Downlands backs. Marist will be well prepared come game day. I think their coaches know when to push the button.

Ali Barber

Allen Oxlade (6)
MCA 13 = LTW I assume?

Didn't see the game, but based on what I've been told I'd be surprised to see Brooks stay at 12.

The 12 position might be the weakness in the MCA backline this year, if so not exactly where you want to be chopping and changing guys, but very early days and the NZ tour will no doubt sort out a lot of positional issues.

As for Downlands' entry to AIC, do we know that they've actually applied? I've heard a few different stories/theories, but one consistent theme (quite possibly wrong) is that they're not particularly strong at anything except rugby. That sounds questionable when at least a few AIC schools are relatively weak in a number of mainstream sports like swimming and athletics.

Ali's theory about boarders might have some credibility, only because it's a fact that all boarding schools are competing/struggling for numbers. For instance, I know BGS only has 13 Year 8 boarders this year, and I've heard that IGS is in some real financial strife.

Galloper, i wouldn't be surprised to see MCA rotate 12 & 13 with each other depending on the situation. LTW has always been a genuine No.12, since his days at GPS - question is could Brooks keep up with him when he takes off. LTW defense in both man on man or drift was always very aggressive, which I'm sure the backs coach likes but does Brooks have the pace to cover defend or drift. It didn't happen last night, so they had LTW covering both sides of the field with a breakaway as his wing man. One certainty is they can both tackle, front on, that won't be a problem. NZ will make them a better combination for sure.

As for Downlands , they need to be expressed into the competition. Rugby is the loser if they aren't. When so many kids play Rugby & RL, then why wouldn't you bolster a rugby competition with Downlands.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Galloper, i wouldn't be surprised to see MCA rotate 12 & 13 with each other depending on the situation. LTW has always been a genuine No.12, since his days at GPS - question is could Brooks keep up with him when he takes off. LTW defense in both man on man or drift was always very aggressive, which I'm sure the backs coach likes but does Brooks have the pace to cover defend or drift. It didn't happen last night, so they had LTW covering both sides of the field with a breakaway as his wing man. One certainty is they can both tackle, front on, that won't be a problem. NZ will make them a better combination for sure.

As for Downlands , they need to be expressed into the competition. Rugby is the loser if they aren't. When so many kids play Rugby & RL, then why wouldn't you bolster a rugby competition with Downlands.

Thanks mate.

Personally I'd be happy to see Dowlands in the AIC, it would definitely lift the standard of rugby but there are logistical issues in play as well.

In theory, given that there are 10 lanes at both Chandler and QSAC you could admit both Downlands and Ambrose Tracey to make a 10 school competition. This would equate to 9 rounds per sport as against 7 now, I'm not sure off the top of my head if the terms are long enough to cope though.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Yes Galloper MCA 13 is LTW

In terms of the MCA 12 question mark , personally , I'd like to see how Gus Rozanowski fares - at least on a trial basis. Don't know if he's going on the NZ Tour - but he should be. Probably a big call and a WTF reaction for those in the land of Yellow and Blue. Maybe Brooks is the best bet - if there is some question mark over the spot you probably want to go with defense first and run mainly unders lines to hook up with the 13 as your staple - and occasionally , for variance use your 12 as a straightener and secure the phase - but I would think you try and belt forward runner advantage and get the defense back peddling before you work unders and try and hit LTW in space . As you saw last night he doesn't need much when he finds a yard on the outside shoulder. That's why I like a type of player like Rozanowski at 12 - fearless defender , gets off the line with good timing , and in attack , isn't express quick ( but is quick enough for an inside back ) but has very good leg strength which sees him fight through contact well as he keeps his legs pumping. I'd give him a go for sure.

The boarding thing is interesting and probably needs to keep being re-invented at all Schools with boarding facilities.

One thing is for sure though - whether you are targeting the Country / Jock - All Rounder type or the high fee paying Asian Market which tends to be more Academic led - you have to get out and engage with your markets . Boarding has become an increasingly competitive market and you have to provide legitimate opportunities and then hit the streets and sell your story

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
yeah backs looked pretty good but forwards not flash at all, monstered in the set piece, have heard the pack will strengthen with a couple of latecomers

When Iona put on a second string pack they got dominated but their starting pack held their own at set piece.

Serge Blanko

Frank Row (1)
Agree Villa pack held their own against Iona. If they can get parity in games their No. 1 backline may surprise a few teams this year.

Alex Saunders

Frank Row (1)
Agree Villa pack held their own against Iona. If they can get parity in games their No. 1 backline may surprise a few teams this year.

couple of AIC/VSRU trial games over the holidays... Marist (home) v Marcellin Melbourne 11 April 11am, Mathew Flinders Anglican (home) vs Marcellin 12 April 4pm & Villa (Tingalpa sporting fields) vs Marcellin 13 April 2pm

Torpedo Punt

Herbert Moran (7)
Just watched the final Iona Vs Rocky Grammar.
Score Iona 10 RG 10...IONA win on countback. 2 tries all, all from the sideline no conversions.
Lucky the countback wasnt on penalties because RG had the ball courtesy of penalties for most of the match...and it didnt look like Iona were undisciplined. Both sides were no doubt exhausted from 6 matches in 3 days.
RG were massive but not mobile.
I didnt see anything promising from Iona backline,15 had a few opportunities and made the most of some and missed the winger screaming for the ball a couple of times which were certs.
If anything I thought the forwards were solid.
If Iona are the hope from south of the river then it looks like the northside will fight out the AIC.

Torpedo Punt

Herbert Moran (7)
Ive only ever seen Zac Steer play two games and although he is not large he is so evasive, perfect for 7s. Hope it doesnt stop there for him. SLC Ist XV play Waverley in Sydney today, 10As defeated St Kevins in Melbourne yesterday.

Ali Barber

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes Galloper MCA 13 is LTW

In terms of the MCA 12 question mark , personally , I'd like to see how Gus Rozanowski fares - at least on a trial basis. Don't know if he's going on the NZ Tour - but he should be. Probably a big call and a WTF reaction for those in the land of Yellow and Blue. Maybe Brooks is the best bet - if there is some question mark over the spot you probably want to go with defense first and run mainly unders lines to hook up with the 13 as your staple - and occasionally , for variance use your 12 as a straightener and secure the phase - but I would think you try and belt forward runner advantage and get the defense back peddling before you work unders and try and hit LTW in space . As you saw last night he doesn't need much when he finds a yard on the outside shoulder. That's why I like a type of player like Rozanowski at 12 - fearless defender , gets off the line with good timing , and in attack , isn't express quick ( but is quick enough for an inside back ) but has very good leg strength which sees him fight through contact well as he keeps his legs pumping. I'd give him a go for sure.

The boarding thing is interesting and probably needs to keep being re-invented at all Schools with boarding facilities.

One thing is for sure though - whether you are targeting the Country / Jock - All Rounder type or the high fee paying Asian Market which tends to be more Academic led - you have to get out and engage with your markets . Boarding has become an increasingly competitive market and you have to provide legitimate opportunities and then hit the streets and sell your story

Well said Gary, that is something the GPS schools do very well is blowing their own bugle and they are never backward in using any old boys to promote their cause in the community both in the city and country - Nudgee do it extremely well in the Boarding Community as do BBC.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Congrats to Justin Sikmetti (Pats) and Lawson Creighton (Padua) in being selected to 32 x man Junior Wallabies Squad

20 x Queensland lads that were all playing in QLD School systems within the last 3 years

No question that QLD continues to produce the biggest volume of Rugby talent in Australia

Hands like feet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Great to see some AIC boys in the Aus 20s squad, a great example to young AIC boys who are aspirational!

Lauries opens returned from a week in Sydney. It was a great tour by all reports; they spent time at the beach, Sydney opera house, high ropes courses and even managed to sneak ONE game of rugby in against a Joey's, Hunter's Hill Day boy team, narrowly losing 22-19. Their proposed game against Waverley was miscommunicated and did not eventuate, I'm sure the parents won't mind having paid considerable money for 1 game.

Ashgrove have played Downlands and 3 hard slogs in NZ, we play a trial against them next weekend...I fear a cricket score.

Status
Not open for further replies.