• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks tour of South Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well All Blacks name 36 man squad this week, so time to start thinking on it. I trying to think what changes will be made.
Forwards, will Grace take Sotutu's spot (or maybe PGS), what changes in front row, Lomax, Ross to have a peek, I not sure when Ta'avao back, he got in end 2 weeks and is there a dodgy club game etc he can use as a missed game? Locks will be Sam W, Tupou Vai'i , Pat T and A<N Other I think, Barrett will be there but I suspect as a 6?
Backs I not too sure about, is Caleb Clarke over his hammy, if not perhaps leave him out, but as squad is for whole RC he may stay in.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Reporting this morning is that the team will be named "in the next few days". Due to assemble in Wellington on Monday morning so would have to be named tomorrow or Saturday as air travel is a bit touch-and-go ATM.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Team announcement pushed back to tomorrow pending medical reports on "a few" players.
I guessing Barrett, Caleb and Ofa would be ones they looking at? And maybe seeing if they can find a club game for Ta'avao to stand down his 2nd game;)? I guessing Pat T will go, but if ne Barrett 4th lock will be intersting choice.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I have a sneaky feeling JBar's not too flash, either. Took a heavy hit early Saturday & looked out of sorts for the rest of the match.

If no ScoBar & assuming PT goes, next in line would be Dickson I think or maybe Strange (not 100% sure of his injury status).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I have a sneaky feeling JBar's not too flash, either. Took a heavy hit early Saturday & looked out of sorts for the rest of the match.

If no ScoBar & assuming PT goes, next in line would be Dickson I think or maybe Strange (not 100% sure of his injury status).
Yep, I haven't heard anything on Strange either WOB, do you think they would look at Selby-Rickett? I not a real fan of his but do wonder a bit. I would suggest if Barrett doesn't go, Frizzel will, to give the option of a tighter No6 who will carry closer to rucks etc if needed, and a reasonable lineout option. Not saying he should or would get game time, but think we need another option at 6 just in case, I still worry that Akira spend a lot of time out wide and we may just need some close in runners to get quick ball.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Would losing both games cause Step Dad Fozzie to lose his job or would they wait till the end of the Rugby Championship and home games? Clock is ticking with the RWC....

NZ Rugby.jpg

I do fully understand he will probably sit back in his chair in a year cuddling the William Webb Ellis while we sit here stewing.

Rae Rae

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yep, I haven't heard anything on Strange either WOB, do you think they would look at Selby-Rickett? I not a real fan of his but do wonder a bit. I would suggest if Barrett doesn't go, Frizzel will, to give the option of a tighter No6 who will carry closer to rucks etc if needed, and a reasonable lineout option. Not saying he should or would get game time, but think we need another option at 6 just in case, I still worry that Akira spend a lot of time out wide and we may just need some close in runners to get quick ball.

Yeah, never really been sold on MS-R & I think the Frizell experiment has run its course: effective NPC & Super Rugby player but not Test quality IMO.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah, never really been sold on MS-R & I think the Frizell experiment has run its course: effective NPC & Super Rugby player but not Test quality IMO.
Yep the only reason I suggesting maybe Frizell is he is a 6 who can cover lock, and suspect they may want someone like that to cover things, I would of suggested Ginga Robinson, but don't really think he is quite capable of step up to test rugby reminds me of Rene Ranger type player who is made for NPC and Super but maybe that's it.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ if it's a 6/5 we're looking for I'd go Big Red simply on the basis Frizell has been tried & found wanting but Robinson hasn't been tried yet so there's a chance he might actually be the guy we're looking for.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Yep the only reason I suggesting maybe Frizell is he is a 6 who can cover lock, and suspect they may want someone like that to cover things, I would of suggested Ginga Robinson, but don't really think he is quite capable of step up to test rugby reminds me of Rene Ranger type player who is made for NPC and Super but maybe that's it.
Rene Ranger never really got the chance at Test level.

I'd like to see Robinson get a shot.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cully reports that Plumtree & Feek are likely to lose their jobs & Cane the captaincy today.

Schmidt to take on a more hands-on role, MacDonald appointed coach of the AB XV to go North later in the year (before co-coaching BaaBaas with Razor - interesting pairing, that :)) & SamW the new captain. All should be revealed today but maybe a bit later than the usual 11:30 depending on how long it takes the Board to approve everything.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not sure if Rangi can co=coach Baabaas, aren't they playing All Blacks XV? But will be interesting to see how it all shapes up.

Edit it seems it Ronan O'Gara teaming up for Baabaas.

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Post RWC how many coaching changes do you think their might be? O'Gara & Robertson are going to be some very in demand fellas.

England: Eddie will most likely move on regardless of result
NZ: Anything but a final would mean he's gone. NZ win I reckon he sails off into the sunset
France: Who the fuck knows. If they win it's his job for life
RSA: Probably gone if they don't win
Australia: Make a Semi and I think Uncle Dave is safe.
Ireland: Unless they go out in the Pool stage I think he's safe
Scotland: Same as Ireland
Argentina: I'd assume Cheika won't be there after the RWC.
Wales: Probably gone without a good showing.
Japan: Probably safe. Coaches choice

Could be at least 4 of those jobs up. Might make some countries a bit more eager to pull the trigger in fear of missing out.

Last edited:

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Team naming at 1:30, Foster will front the media at 2 (unless his media minder decides he won't).
That was such a weak move - both the cancellation of the media appointment and allowing the media person to then take the blame.

If Foster had wanted to do the media appointment, he could have. He could also have also taken the rap for it being cancelled.

Weak leadership....

Status
Not open for further replies.