• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

An good/dumb? idea I had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm posting this here as maybe there is no appetite for this kind of thing in the community and as it would require official sanction by those who run G&GR.

Anyway on with my idea. As a community on various threads we often discuss ways in which the game can be grown both around the world and in Aus in particular. I often see people bemoan the lack of support from the ARU in terms of growing the game or supporting existing teams.

So how about we as a community under the G&GR flag give some support? I'm not talking about anything massive, just members having the opportunity to give what they can during a designated donation drive. Then if members wanted to hold additional fund raising events, good on them.

Maybe each year members could vote for the club that would benefit from the fund raising. By changing the team every year we would be able to spread the help around a bit.

Those that run G&GR could set criteria for team who submit for funding. It could be restricted to new or newish club who are trying to establish themselves or clubs from non-traditional rugby areas. They would have to in a sufficiently low tier that the money would actually make a difference to them.

Once the criteria is set then clubs could submit their case. Maybe a short video with a brief introduction/history to the club, then something about how they are trying to grow the game in their community and final what they would use the donations for or what the help would mean to them.

Then members could vote on which club would be the official club that funds are to be raised for that year. Those clubs not selected might also receive some support due to raising their awareness within our community and member decided to donate to them privately.

Then we could have our fund raising period and a counter on the website. I know it's possible to have the donations set up so that money never actually has to be handled (physically or electronically) by G&GR and instead go directly to the recipient.

People could either just give what they can afford or make pledges, like say $5 every time TPN has to be treated for tackling with his head.

We may not raise an amazing amount of money but if pitched at the right level it would be enough to make a difference.

Through the year we could have some blog posts about how the particular club are going and how the funds raised have made a difference to them.

I know personally it's something I would donate to, but others may not feel the same. It's just an idea I thought I would put out there for people to mull over.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I wondered if the love could not be spread this way: use the money to make sure that every kid gets a proper football appropriate to his or her age.
with the GGr logo?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Being an idea thread, there is a school boy thread, why not a sub thread for under 10's (6, 7, 8, 9). The Grass Roots could do with this funding and he clubs could join in and benefit down the track.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Good idea Bardon.
It would have the added attraction of lifting the profile of GAGR without the need to spend money. The funds would come from donations rather than from the GAGR slush fund.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If the money raised is a lot - then yea the "send a 1min video in" sounds good.

But if it's not that big of a pool then we may as well choose a club ourselves.

I like the idea though +1

Status
Not open for further replies.