• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Anyone gots training and diet programs

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
This something I am going through at the moment

Read a book "Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It" by Gary Taubes (science writer) and now follow a diet developed by Duke University

The book explains the science behind why the "exercise more, eat less" is bullocks

I have lost 12kgs this year and 5 inches off the waist (down to 100kg, with another 8 to go) I cut out all starches and sugars and eat grilled meet and green vegetables, no beer :'(

This is an interview with the guy (26 minutes of info)

[video=youtube;bJcehDsbgxw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJcehDsbgxw[/video]

Attached is the base diet for those who are interested

Attachments

• Duke Uni Med Centre.pdf
    257.3 KB · Views: 508

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

Read a book "Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It" by Gary Taubes (science writer) and now follow a diet developed by Duke University

The book explains the science behind why the "exercise more, eat less" is bullocks

I have lost 12kgs this year and 5 inches off the waist (down to 100kg, with another 8 to go) I cut out all starches and sugars and eat grilled meet and green vegetables, no beer :'(

Attached is the base diet for those who are interested

Cut out all starches - sweet
Sugars - sweet
eat grilled meat and veges - sweet
No beer - WTF!!!

Seriously though....sounds a lot like Atkins from what you've just said there....

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It is in the same league as Atkins, with more science over the last 20 years to back it up.

The unfortunate problem with beer is that there is is no difference to drinking it or Coca Cola (apart from beer being delicious), a shed load of sugar

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
It is in the same league as Atkins, with more science over the last 20 years to back it up.

The unfortunate problem with beer is that there is is no difference to drinking it or Coca Cola (apart from beer being delicious), a shed load of sugar

What about low carb beers??

W

WB3

^ Alcohol is incredibly catabolic (promotes loss of muscle mass) and causes fat-sparing. Low carb beers are a myth that miss the most fattening aspect of the beverage

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)

This is an interview with the guy (26 minutes of info)

Thats a great diet - thanks FP. I did a similar one 6 or so yearsago, and lost 15kgs pretty quickly, and it stayed off too, until I stopped following the diet. I was allowed some rice/rice bread/rice noodles in my dit, but only an amount half the size of my palm per day. And nuts lots of nuts and seeds. I also told the nutritionist that there was no way I could cut out beer durng rugby season, and her words were, OK, but try to keep it down to a max of 4 and never on consecutive days.

reading that reminde me of the old rules, and I may join you back on that program. Could do to get under triple figures

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It is all compromise, the book explains that when you have too much carbs/sugar/beer your body releases insulin to manage the excess sugar in the blood stream, the by-product is that the body flicks a switch that takes excess energy and stores it as fat.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Don't you need a certain amount of carbs for proper brain function though? Like at least 50-60g per day?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Don't you need a certain amount of carbs for proper brain function though? Like at least 50-60g per day?

It doesn't cut out all carbs completely, just empty and complex carbohydrates. Its really not a new diet. The same methodology is used in the Atkins diet and in the Body slim system.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It doesn't cut out all carbs completely, just empty and complex carbohydrates. Its really not a new diet. The same methodology is used in the Atkins diet and in the Body slim system.

and each night, when you haven't eaten for several hours, the body begins to manufacture glucose using gluconeogenesis.

Gluconeogenesis is the process by which glucose is made, primarily in the liver, from non-carbohydrate sources. The body is able to make glucose from amino acids (protein), glycerol (the backbone of triglycerides, the primary fat storage molecule), and glucose metabolism intermediaries like lactate and pyruvate.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Ohhh that makes sense. I guess the main problem people would fall into with those would be in the beginning stages where they're bodies not used to it if they give up/slip up and binge.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Minimal carbs, high amounts of protein and fibrous (green) vegetables (about 500g of each) only eat 3 meals a day, 5 hours apart, no snacking, recommended water intake (very specific forgotten what it was, but its important to it) not really any sweets, soft drinks or milk or anything as drinks, only water.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Buy yourself a 'Mens Fitness' magazine. They have some really good strength and power routines in their publications on a monthly basis. They have options for eother body weight or free weight routines plus often feature speed work. Younger brother started one from three issues back and his going gangbusters. I'm looking at its weight loss routines (looking at getting down to a sveldt 110-115kg) before I go down to Wagga for my Army Reserves induction training.

As for diet. Depends on your objectives.

A mate of mine has just finished an article for Men's Fitness about Sydney Uni's training program which should be about as relevant as one of their articles could get for rugby. Look out for it over the next couple of issues (I haven't heard a publication date from him yet).

You might see some familiar names/faces from around here in it too. I give you all one guess...