• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Are you "Rugby" enough?

How "Rugby" are you?

• Currently playing at a senior club

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Member / volunteer at a senior club

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Senior club coach / manager

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Senior club administration

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Kids club rugby - any involvement

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Kids school rugby - any involvement

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Nah I'm just a critic...

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I get that this is a forum that is going to attract a range of views, and people from all walks of life. Sport does that.

At the same time, I've noticed as a group, we tend to lean toward negativity and point at what is wrong with the game - and I include myself in that :)

The question is: what are we doing about it? Are you involved in helping spread the load and bringing people to the game, or supporting those there already?

Last edited:

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
  • Currently playing local senior club
  • Member / Volunteer at a local senior club
  • Senior Club Coach / Manager
  • Senior Club Administration
  • Kids club rugby - any involvement
  • Kids school rugby - any involvement
giphy.gif

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Over the last 13 years I can tick all of those boxes with the local club, often many of them in the same season. I am from the country and have 2 boys at boarding school, over the last 12 years thanks to Covid I haven't been able to participate in their sporting lives in particular, along with many other disruptions. The oldest is in his final year and I have decided I don't want to tie myself down and want to be able to duck down to Sydney on as many weekends as I can, and be spontaneous sometimes, to try to make up for some of what I have missed out on. So I'm being selfish this year, but I'm available to help with the club if I'm around, and I get involved with the school when required when I am there. So I ticked B & F.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Looking to get back into playing this year. Over 35s. I've coached in the past particularly when my kid brother was playing but he quit in year 9. My nephew is rapidly approaching the age to play minis and my brother is working on my SiL to be okay with him playing so I may jump back in to coaching in the future.

Actually on Over 35s. I'm good but my brother won't turn 35 until September. Would he be eligible?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I was pretty involved with my boy's rugby at school until he finished up there last year. He's decided to give the game away at least for the time being on account of having a few concussions in the last couple of years. He reckons his brain is more important to him now that he's starting at uni and I tend to agree.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I would love to coach one day, just not at the right stage of my life to do it now.

Would love to coach kids old enough to take it seriously but young enough that you still have time to work with them and get the best out of them. Help them with skill development, values of being a good team mates and the discipline that it takes to be a good athlete.

By that I mean I see a lot of kids at the local gym mainly Aussie rules players work hard but work dumb so they don’t achieve anything.

Make_Rugby_Great_Again

Stan Wickham (3)
I get that this is a forum that is going to attract a range of views, and people from all walks of life. Sport does that.

At the same time, I've noticed as a group, we tend to lean toward negativity and point at what is wrong with the game - and I include myself in that :)

The question is: what are we doing about it? Are you involved in helping spread the load and bringing people to the game, or supporting those there already?
I’ve been involved with rugby union firstly as a player and now a coach for over 30 years. I’m currently coaching at a GPS school (for nothing I might add) and Colts at a successful Brisbane club. I was at the Reds game last weekend and the official crowd figure of just under 14,500 was disappointing which reflects where rugby is at. Not sure what the answer is but when RA make decisions like the recent re-signing of Kurtley Beale (who wouldn’t be signing for peanuts) what does the future hold for the nurturing of the young talent coming through when money is spent on players who decide to go overseas to prepare for the retirement life after rugby, then come back???? Just doesn’t make any sense and is a short-term fix for the National team.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Played Junior club rugby from age 10 -17, Seniors (Syd 2nd Division thence Kentwell Cup) from 18-38yo, coached seniors at 1st Div Subbies club (Syd), served on senior and junior club committees. Presently co-coaching my older son's U16 junior club team plus official tackle bag holder and general dogsbody for my other sons U13 club team - 2 different junior clubs which is a pain. Generally cover rego for a few of my boys mates if it gets them over the line to play each year (Call it sponsorship) We pay for 2 Tahs season memberships plus the boys get a season ticket via their junior rego. I'll be at most, if not all Tahs games this year. Took a full carload of 4 boys to the Drua match last Friday, fed & watered them, and as a result got 2 new to rugby (ex mungo) boys over the line to play junior club rugby with my younger boy this year, which will hopefully be enough to keep the team going for another year at least.

I do it all because I F%#cking love this great game and all it brings to the people involved.

My wife not so much....:p

I hate summer too ... :cool: ;)

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Played Junior club rugby from age 10 -17, Seniors (Syd 2nd Division thence Kentwell Cup) from 18-38yo, coached seniors at 1st Div Subbies club (Syd), served on senior and junior club committees. Presently co-coaching my older son's U16 junior club team plus official tackle bag holder and general dogsbody for my other sons U13 club team - 2 different junior clubs which is a pain. Generally cover rego for a few of my boys mates if it gets them over the line to play each year (Call it sponsorship) We pay for 2 Tahs season memberships plus the boys get a season ticket via their junior rego. I'll be at most, if not all Tahs games this year. Took a full carload of 4 boys to the Drua match last Friday, fed & watered them, and as a result got 2 new to rugby (ex mungo) boys over the line to play junior club rugby with my younger boy this year, which will hopefully be enough to keep the team going for another year at least.

I do it all because I F%#cking love this great game and all it brings to the people involved.

My wife not so much....:p

I hate summer too ... :cool: ;)
Serious respect for that.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I am probably only a critic at this stage. I have done all the others, for about 30 years, Coached schoolkids and college rugby, was on admistration of kids rugby, coaohed and managed club rugby in NZ and Australia, administration of clubs NZ and Aus, admin at JAB provincial boards NZ, on provincial rugby board.
Finally gave up about 10 years back, seemed to be a bit tired, and thought I would try being one of those people that sat at home and knew more about running and coaching the game than the ones who were actually doing it;):D
Never regretted doing what I did, at times it seemed life consisted of working at job and rugby with bugger all else, and in all honesty would say the satisfaction of thinking I was making a difference was worth it.
See I believe rugby is the best sport going and has so many things that help us be better people, if we use them properly. The biggest anti for me always was and is the rubbish you got from people who really knew bugger all and weren't prepared to get of butts and do anything, and also seeing more in last 20 years I reckon are coaches of junior teams who are doing it for wrong reason, and one of reasons why our game struggles to retain players I believe.