• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Withdraw Funding of Schoolboys Tours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy Dickson

Herbert Moran (7)
Interesting to hear the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) is not supporting Australian Schoolboys and Aus 7s tours for 2017.

Here is a couple of interesting stories I have heard and be good if someone could verify.

Aus 7's u18 Team -

The ARU advertised throughout the latter half of 2016 that they were sending an Aus Youth Boys (u18) Team to the 2017 Youth Commonwealth Games in Barbados. Fast forward to 2017 and the ARU withdrew funding for travel / accommodation for the Youth Boys team for the Youth Commonwealth Games, and in doing so, withdrawn the Youth Boys team from the Games.

Aus Schoolboys u18 team -

Every four years the Schoolboys tour the UK, it began 1973 and is tradition. The ARU supports the tour and has four years to put aside funds to support the tours. Sadly I hear the ARU have withdrawn funding to the Australian Schoolboys in 2017 which has directly resulted in the cancellation of 2017 UK Tour. I got nothing further to say other than if true the ARU is killing the highest honours and tradition of schoolboys rugby.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not really hard to imagine as they are losing money supporting super rugby and will be losing more money than ever this year with super rugby crowds well down and hence likely to have to prop up Super Rugby franchises across the board this year.

Whilst even Wallaby cash cow will be dented given June tests against minnows and disenfranchised fans will probably see lower crowds for Rugby Championship.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
I stand to be corrected, but what I have heard second and third hand is that the ARU contributed very little if anything in direct funding of the individuals in the team.

There was one particular tournament I attended in Australia where they were trying to get relatives and friends to run the Parking at the venue as a way of raising funds for the team members.

ARU put the resources into the "high performance" squads across the year where a good proportion of the young men would filter through to the state schoolboy teams.

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
I stand to be corrected, but what I have heard second and third hand is that the ARU contributed very little if anything in direct funding of the individuals in the team.

There was one particular tournament I attended in Australia where they were trying to get relatives and friends to run the Parking at the venue as a way of raising funds for the team members.

ARU put the resources into the "high performance" squads across the year where a good proportion of the young men would filter through to the state schoolboy teams.

The ARU subsides players by direct funding of costs associated with tours for players and coaching staff to the ASRU. Funds were never given directly to a player. However, in 2017 it is apparent the ARU have cut costs by withdrawing any funds for an Australian Schoolboys UK Tour which is ridiculous when the ARU gloated they will receive for the 2016 to 2020 period $285 million in media rights revenue from the total package of SANZAR agreements, which represents 148 per cent increase on revenue from the previous deal.

So that would tell me the ARU has significant funding revenue that it did not have when the Aus Schoolboys toured in 2013 and therefore should be in a position to contribute funds towards the Aus Schoolboys UK Tour and Aus Schoolboys 7s Youth Commonwealth Games in 2017.

http://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/about-asru/

About ASRU

The ASRU is an independent incorporated association run by members of the teaching profession who believe rugby has a unique ethos and benefits that contribute to the broader education of young people. The Committee comprises of delegates appointed by each state Schools Union – two from each state/territory, 3 from NSW. Delegates then elect an Executive.

The Australian Schools’ Rugby Union first convened as a committee in 1972 and the first Australian Schools Championships was conducted in 1975 in Melbourne.

The first Australian Schoolboys team predated the establishment of the ASRU Committee and Championships. That team toured South Africa in 1969 at the personal invitation of Danny Craven playing seven provincial games but no test matches. Greg Cornelsen, Russell Fairfax and Steve Finnane were all members of that team. Since then some 170 Schoolboys have gone to play for the Wallabies, countless more representing their State.

The first tour of the UK by an Australian Schools team occurred in 1973, playing fifteen matches only losing to England at Twickenham in their final match. The UK tour has been a feature of Australian Schools Rugby occurring every four years since then.

The ASRU is an affiliate of the Australian Rugby Union and receive a significant amount of funding from the ARU. The ARU provides advice on player selections and appointment of coaches and management.

The Australian Schools Rugby Foundation is a separate incorporate body whose aim is to support the aims of the Schools Rugby Union. The Foundation comprises of business men, past Australian Schoolboys and Wallabies who look to use their business networks to provide additional financial support to the ASRU. The current Foundation Chair is Greg Cornelsen.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The ARU only values those that they pay.
Everyone else has to be self sustainable.

What's the old saying
They know the cost of everything,but the value of nothing.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Australian Schools’ Rugby Union first convened as a committee in 1972 and the first Australian Schools Championships was conducted in 1975 in Melbourne.

The first Australian Schoolboys team predated the establishment of the ASRU Committee and Championships. That team toured South Africa in 1969 at the personal invitation of Danny Craven playing seven provincial games but no test matches. Greg Cornelsen, Russell Fairfax and Steve Finnane were all members of that team. Since then some 170 Schoolboys have gone to play for the Wallabies, countless more representing their State.

The first tour of the UK by an Australian Schools team occurred in 1973, playing fifteen matches only losing to England at Twickenham in their final match. The UK tour has been a feature of Australian Schools Rugby occurring every four years since then.

Thanks for the memory jog.
Had a quick look at the history section on their web site and who did I see listed but several players who have won the Bronze Boot award and are subject of discussion on recent GAGR forums:
Will Miller
Liam Gill
George Smith
Phil Waugh.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
In the 1977 Michael Hawker toured as a member of that team. In 1981 Rob Clarke toured as a member of that team. Did they benefit from ARU funding all those years ago, maybe they did or didn't. But if they did, I would find the current cut in funding somewhat hypocritical.

Irrespective, the current ARU leadership has proven to be a liability in its leadership, by its failure to fund the Australian Schools tour to the UK.
Together with the disastrous results suffered by Australian Super Rugby and the expected appalling results against the All Blacks this year.

Fans and supporters must be asking is the current ARU leadership up to the task. Our game is going backward on so many levels. Therefore, I admit, I have no confidence in their capacity as administrators. I gather I would not be alone in this assessment.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Boys don't you seem to understand that this is not removing support. Rather it is a reallocation of vital funding to the provision of fine red wine for meets of the ARU.

Status
Not open for further replies.