• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ashes 2021-22

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ was just about to say something similar, Reg: he looks like a guy who once he gets a hundred under his belt will get a heap more in reasonably quick order.

Fabulous innings from Head, can't really recall someone coming in at 12/3 & playing with that freedom & clearly the Poms hadn't either 'cos it knocked them completely off their bowling plans, started banging it in too short & trying to plug gaps when pitching it up & having catchers behind the wicket is what got them 3/12 in the first place. Root in particular looked shell-shocked at times.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Enjoying certain commentators pumping up their favourite players because of “the intent they show,” and then going completely silent when they get out an over or two later. Of course, in the next stint their dismissals are subsequently put down as “unlucky.”

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Warne kinda called that with his "Warner doesn't take a catch" comments, just not for quite the reason I think he had in mind. But fuck me, I reckon I'd have caught that.

As for Pope: first class average 50, home track (The Oval) average 90-odd, Test average pretty average: does that make him Mark Ramprakash v2.0?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Some appalling batting, Wood bowls 5 over spells at a maximum and hardly ever bowls to hit the stumps. They’ve seen Stokes have a go at the short tactic and injure himself only a test before, just duck them and let Wood burn himself out.

Bizarre that we can be so conservative with declarations and field placements (e.g. when Lyon’s bowling) but we consistently try to take on the short ball with hands going from low to high.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ yep, if Smith leaves it alone it's potentially a wide for height, instead he puts it straight down Crawley's throat. Head looks like he's a compulsive glancer of anything in the hip-to-armpit area, pretty sure Wagner got him at least once doing that last TT series.

Having said that, Aus probably less than 50 runs away from having enough to win this by close to 100 ;)

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
^ yep, if Smith leaves it alone it's potentially a wide for height, instead he puts it straight down Crawley's throat. Head looks like he's a compulsive glancer of anything in the hip-to-armpit area, pretty sure Wagner got him at least once doing that last TT series.

Having said that, Aus probably less than 50 runs away from having enough to win this by close to 100 ;)
Yep, Wagner troubled both Smith and Head in that series. It was slightly more tolerable because it was a relatively novel tactic then and Wagner is also superhuman and you can’t just wait him out like Wood.

I expect this is why Langer will be moved on. There are recurring issues, including bowling sides out in the 4th innings and facing the short ball, that have never been resolved under his tenure.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I know they've batted like shit but all it takes is Stokes to finally go off with a little bit of Crawley and Root support with Pope and Billings adding some spice and anything less than 250 is gettable I reckon

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I see a little difference between Wood's short bowling and Stokes' short bowling. To me, it looks that Wood is trying to get the batsmen out, while Stokes seemed to be only trying to stem the run rate.

Having said that, though, I reckon both are being too leniently handled by the umpires.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
A very gettable total. As bad as some of the batting was this afternoon, a lot of the damage was done last night, I think at some stage we’ll see a team do a Bradman style order reversal when they have to bat at night.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
A lot less gettable now. It seems that the English tactic is that if they're not getting batsmen out then they try to bounce them out and just pitch it short.