• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ashes 2021-22

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Well, I should have had more faith in our bowlers and the English batting.

Across the series, I was very pleased with the performances of Green and Head. Green is something special. Boland’s ridiculous metronomic bowling was something else as well.

Some question marks for me over the batting still, admittedly the wickets were tough to play on. Looking forward to the challenge in Asia.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
If you reckon the Oz pitches were tough to play on this season, wait until our batsmen get to south Asia.

The generous part of me hopes Harris comes good. We need a couple more to put their hands up, I was thinking of Richardson (the batsman) and Pucovski. Are there others who should be considered?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If you reckon the Oz pitches were tough to play on this season, wait until our batsmen get to south Asia.

The generous part of me hopes Harris comes good. We need a couple more to put their hands up, I was thinking of Richardson (the batsman) and Pucovski. Are there others who should be considered?

well they tour in March so hopefully BBL wraps up and we can play some Shield cricket for the likes of Renshaw, Hunt, Will P etc to stake their claim.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Nodded off at 0/64 but was confident Eng would dissolve under lights.

Combined with a couple of utterly stupid shots.

Got to give Mark Wood credit - only English player to have a red hot crack every time he was out there.

Broad is a sooky boy who only tries when he's getting what he wants. Robinson is unfit. Leach is a spinner? Woakes is County quality unless he's got the Duke in hand, and playing third fiddle to Anderson and Broad when they're on song.

ECB should reorganise their domestic season, and fire everyone in the support staff on this tour. Not acceptable.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Root's captaincy was also terrible- didn't know how to use his bowlers. Didn't adapt fast enough to conditions. Over rate was terrible.

And his nerve has gone as a batsman.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

Being dropped for this test was a positive for Harris, would have been very easy to record a couple more low scores in those conditions and further dent his confidence.

Not a batter but I see Kuhneman going to Asia. We can play two spinners if Green remains at 6 and left arm orthodox can be tricky on the subcontinent when some balls go on with the arm and others take the edge.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
So it appears that even after an eight hour board meeting, CA couldn't publicly back or sack the men's senior coach. What an absolute farce, but why am I surprised that they would handle this situation in such a shambolic and amateurish way.

Regardless of how anyone feels about JL and his tenure I feel the bloke deserves better treatment than this.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Cricket Australia is a lot like Rugby Australia: there is still the strong smell of amateurism in the back office, with a hint of dictatorship left behind by James Sutherland.

The difference is we win at cricket a fair bit of late.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Couldn't agree more Pfitzy. It's embarrassing for the sport how poorly they've cocked things up at the top level of administration.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The recent turnover of chairmen (three in the last three years) and CEOs (ditto) doesn't bode well for good decisions.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
And now JL has quit with immediate effect. What a fucking farce. I hope the players who have clearly had a part to play in this are satisfied.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Reminds me of David Nucifora the only Super Rugby coach (including NZ and SA) who was sacked in the same year they won Super Rugby 2004. Also by player power and the Brumbies haven’t won a full Super Rugby title since and it wasn’t until 2013 until their next post season appearance.
Player power has been part of the problem but not all when it comes to Australian Rugby.

Last edited:

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
To be fair, JL is as much to blame as CA. A pro would have finished his contract.

In a situation where he saw he wasn't being supported? I don't blame him one bit.

This has shades of Link's departure a few years ago and I'm as disappointed now as I was then.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Reminds me of David Nucifora the only Super Rugby coach (including NZ and SA) who was sacked in the same year they won Super Rugby 2004. Also by player power and the Brumbies haven’t won a full Super Rugby title since.
Player power has been part of the problem but not all when it comes to Australian Rugby.

Very much so. The Brumbies were a basket case for several years after that.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
The other sad thing about this outcome is that Ponting who has been doing a bit of coaching has spoken out against it, so probably turning him off further coach assignments with Australia.
Also Shane Warne was never a fan of John Buchanan and others in the team but they all learned to get along, control their egos and create a successful period for Australian Cricket.