• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ashes 2021-22

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth after a good summer and t20 WC win. Have to think this drama will carry over into the Pakistan series.

I expect the players want Bayliss.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It sure does. Full disclosure: I've worked with JL previously and found him to be a stand up bloke of considerable personal integrity. He would be feeling pretty wounded by his treatment and I don't blame him. He loves cricket, this job and the players. There would have been some pretty tough conversations last year about his style but he's done everything asked of him and a bit more besides. If I'm him I'm staying quiet about it, not giving any interviews and probably not speaking to the ringleaders ever again. He's free to go and be completely mercenary now and why wouldn't he.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Reminds me of David Nucifora the only Super Rugby coach (including NZ and SA) who was sacked in the same year they won Super Rugby 2004. Also by player power and the Brumbies haven’t won a full Super Rugby title since and it wasn’t until 2013 until their next post season appearance.
Player power has been part of the problem but not all when it comes to Australian Rugby.
Nucifora showed those Brumbies by going on to unprecedented success with the Blues, right?

I’d suggest the Brumbies decline coincided more with the ageing/retirement of a group of once in a generation stars (Gregan/Roff/Larkham) and the introduction of the Force.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I think it's a tough one. Langer is clearly absolutely devoted to cricket and his coaching job, has had great success in the past year, and as a result everything points to him being unfairly treated. Throw in with that the ham-fisted way CA have handled it, with multiple meetings, constant leaking, speculation etc and his tenure really has been brought to a sad end.
Having said all that, we are all aware that a number of the players weren't happy with his coaching (presumably including our new captain), and it was only when he stepped back a bit and allowed MacDonald and others to take a more central role that we have ridden this wave of success. If JL had a little more self awareness, he would have recognised the discontent, and announced his retirement from the job on a massive high, and ridden off into the sunset (and whatever role he wanted to pursue next) as a national hero. Sadly, like politicians, very few sportspeople have the self awareness to recognise the time to go, and hang on until they are pushed.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If I'm him I'm staying quiet about it, not giving any interviews and probably not speaking to the ringleaders ever again. He's free to go and be completely mercenary now and why wouldn't he

Whispers about taking over England. Wouldn't that be a kick up the arse?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Apart from M Marsh. WTF's he done to be still in contention? Looks like it's now mandatory to have a Watson clone in the squad.

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Maybe Cap'n Pat shoulda said some of this a coupla weeks ago?

I love his statement.

I don't think he could have made the statement earlier. His role is not to weigh in on an employment situation within Cricket Australia.

Clearly he's supportive of Langer as a person and what he's done but it was also pretty clear that the players are quite happy that he's being moved on.