• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aus League start to look in SA for talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Me and NTA had this one going and this the latest in this new development.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25348554-5013406,00.html

April 18, 2009
SYDNEY Roosters' recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan has returned from a scouting mission to South Africa, convinced the country could become a breeding ground for the next Israel Folau or Greg Inglis.

And O'Sullivan has backed his judgment by making contract offers to two teenage South African rugby union players he believes could make a successful transition to the NRL.

The players, a 17-year-old fullback and 18-year-old centre, were spotted by O'Sullivan after he spent four days watching the famed Easter rugby union carnival in the province of Gauteng. The carnival, for the most prestigious rugby union schools in South Africa, has featured some of the Springboks' greatest players since its inception.

"The fullback can play anywhere in the backline," O'Sullivan said. "He kicks the ball a mile and has some beautiful athletic traits. He's also a really good kid. The centre is robust with good feet and good speed."

South Africa has been largely ignored by the NRL and its clubs in recent seasons, but O'Sullivan is ready to change that. He believes the country is ripe for the picking, given the political climate, living conditions and relative lack of opportunity.

The country boasts only five Super 14 rugby union clubs, meaning the chance to play professionally is limited to the elite.

"The advantage of going over there is they speak the same language, the climate is the same and the country is in a bit of turmoil," O'Sullivan said.

"They have only five Super 14 teams. We have four Super 14 teams and 16 NRL clubs. There's got to be a market there. It's no different from a rugby union kid making the switch over here. The problem is they don't know what rugby league is. A couple of them have heard of it."

Asked whether he could see South Africa becoming a supply line to the NRL, O'Sullivan said: "I don't think it will be the norm but they will be there.

"The players this time who were ready to play physically were all rugby union types. I have no doubt in the future there will be a player there develop like your Greg Inglis or Israel Folau."

There is also a financial advantage in scouting South Africa for talent. The salary cap is making it increasingly difficult to poach athletes from rival clubs, something which has become clear this year given the lack of action in the player market.

The strength of the Australian dollar in comparison to the South African rand, and the cheaper standard of living, mean the Roosters can make a competitive offer without breaking their cap.

There is the potential to open up a whole new market for NRL clubs. At the same time, this could lead to more NRL clubs turning to rugby union for talent, a market that dried up as a source after the rival code turned professional.

Meanwhile, the Sydney Roosters are in no rush to open contract talks with coach Brad Fittler, despite his manager Wayne Beavis suggesting he wanted to begin negotiations over an extension as soon as next week.

Fittler is off contract at the end of the year and told club members this week he was keen to continue in the role.

Chief executive Steve Noyce declined to put a time frame on opening talks with Fittler.

So they release the names now, Paul Roos it is.

http://http//news.smh.com.au/breaki...0625-cxza.html

June 25, 2009 - 4:54PM
Sydney Roosters have announced the signing of 18-year-old South African centre JP du Plessis on a three-year contract.

Du Plessis, who attended the renowned rugby development school of Paul Roos Gymnasium Stellenbosch, which has produced a number of South African internationals, will join the Roosters for the 2010 season.

The signing follows a recent trip to South Africa by the club's recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan.

"JP is a quick and beautifully balanced player and will be a real asset to the club," said O'Sullivan.

"He is considered a rising star of South African rugby so while he will take 12 months to learn rugby league, he has the potential to be a key player for the Roosters."

Congrats to them they look at the right place! :'(

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Dont worry PB. It wont work out and he will sign with the Tahs in a year or two.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
At last another 3N rugby union nation to suffer poaching by the NRL.

Welcome to the club.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Cutter said:
Dont worry PB. It wont work out and he will sign with the Tahs in a year or two.
Yep, once the Roosters have his visa in order... I figured there was a good reason for NSWRU and Sydney Roosters to have adjacent HQ buildings.
Tahs have a carrot of annual tips to SA to meet up with friends and family

T

TOCC

i was speaking to a saffa friend the other day who still has strong links to rugby in RSA, im not sure exactly how true what he was saying, but he said that the QRU and RugbyWA have been quite active in RSA attracting juniors to Australia.

Whole families are moving over to Australia he seems to think.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Ja have said it a few times via Ruaan Smith, they are quite active this side of the ditch but this kid is quite unique. He will play Craven Week for WP in a few weeks time and surprise the WP lot let him play. He'll play with Lanes boy in SA's premier schoolboy competition. Words have it there is more kids to follow him.

B

Brittany

Yes, but can the lad bend the elbow and trash the confines of an inner city establishment.
The Roosters are a club with a (proud ???) tradition to uphold.

What's that Nate ?
No this is the hallway son, and Jake be a friend, take the bus home please.
By the way has anyone seen Freddy ?

Uggghhhh ... I hope the money's good !

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Oh well I dont understand much you try and tell me Boet, the avator sort of attrack my attention. But the kid sure is a good talent, Go to the Craven Week thread. You'll see both Lanes boy and JP performing for WP in SA'a premium schoolboy competition.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Hey PB,
It's a reference to the off-field trouble that NRL club the Sydney Roosters are in this week, one of their players (Nate Myles) was found in the middle of the night naked in his hotel corridor having taken a dump on their carpet.
Freddy is the Roosters coach, a few months ago he was forced to fine himself $10,000 for wandering into some other hotel guests room blind drunk... a fine example for his players.
They're also into "bending the elbow", which is code for getting your old fella out with 10 or so teammates and having a play with yourselves while one of your mates bangs a chick.
A dubious environment to nurture this young saffa talent, as Brittany says, I hope the money's good !

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Moses said:
They're also into "bending the elbow", which is code for getting your old fella out with 10 or so teammates and having a play with yourselves while one of your mates bangs a chick.
A dubious environment to nurture this young saffa talent, as Brittany says, I hope the money's good !

I thought bending the elbow was drinking :nta:

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Since it's the Roosters and not the Sharks you're probably right.. they've more of a paraletic drinking culture than a circle-jerking culure in the eastern suburbs..

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I'm sure a fair bit of it will come down to the quality of the individual, it will depend on how easily swayed he is as to the kind of man he turns into. Regardless, he'll still be welcome at the Tahs.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I just want someone who can catch and pass in the backline... is that too much to ask?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Moses, you forgot Roosters hooker Jake Friend punching a reporter's neice in the face at a nightclub. Or was that mentioned further up? Can't be bothered to check.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Saw JP has made SA Schools and scoring a try against a very good England team over the weekend.
Rugby365
England smash SA Schools

In their third and last match of their South African tour, England Under-18, a schoolboy team, smashed South African Schools 45-13 in Kimberley on Friday afternoon.

At half-time England led 13-10. The second half was one-way traffic.

Last year the SA Academy side, chosen from those who were not at Craven Week smashed SA Schools 41-19. It is not a healthy state of affairs.

England played three matches and the best performers against them were a weakened Boland side who went down 36-11, conceding 19 points in the last six minutes. Western Province then picked some sort of side and disgraced their union by losing 95-0 in driving rain.

England certainly deserved their victory, scoring five tries to one. Wing Chris Wade scored a hat trick of tries for the tourists and fullback Jack Wallace another two. Centre Andy Short added the other try for the visitors. England flyhalf George Ford converted three tries and also successfully kicked three penalties.

For the SA Schools team, centre JP du Plessis, picked as a replacement, scored the only try.

The big English side dominated the breakdown and left the South Africans stranded.

It was hot but within five minutes England led 10-0 through a penalty and then a try by Owen Farrell, son of the famous Andy Farrell.

SA Schools came back and quicksilver JP du Plessis scored a try to make the score 10-7.

Each side kicked a penalty goal early in the second half to make the score 16-13. Then England ran in four tries - first of all two by centre Andy Short to make the score 28-13. A penalty and then two tries by Christian Wade, the first after running 40 metres, completed the comprehensive victory.

England coach John Fletcher said: "Christian Wade and Andy Short took their tries well but there was a lot of team work that led to them. We've scored a lot of tries this season and tried to play good attacking rugby with width and pace and I think we've achieved that."

Scorers:

For England:
Tries: Farrell, Short 2, Wade 2
Cons: Ford 4
Pens: Ford 4

For SA Schools:
Try: Du Plessis
Con: Van Wyk
Pens: Van Wyk 2

Teams

England Under-18: 15 Jack Wallace, 14 Christian Wade, 13 Andy Short, 12 Owen Farrell, 11 Marcus Watson, 10 George Ford, 9 Sam Stuart, 8 Alex Gray (captain), 7 Matt Everard, 6 Billy Vunipola, 5 Charlie Matthews, 4 Ben Glynn, 3 Ryan Bower, 2 Harry Allen, 1 Mako Vunipola.
Replacements: 16 Henry Thomas, 17 Peter Austin, 18 Joe Trayfoot, 19 Sam Jones, 20 Chris Cook, 21 Jonathan Joseph, 22 Joe Cobden.

SA Schools: 15 Riaan Britz, 14 Sizo Maseko, 13 Piet Lindeque, 12 Andile Jho, 11 Brian Skosana, 10 William van Wyk, 9 Pieter Rademan (captain), 8 Siya Kolisi, 7 Jean Cook, 6 Lean Schwartz, 5 Carl Wenger, 4 Frederick Schnetler, 3 Jozua Malherbe, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Stephanus Kotze.
Replacements: 16 Siyabonga Ntubeni, 17 Zolani Faku, 18 Chris Cloete, 19 Nizaam Carr, 20 Kobese Bangihlonbe, 21 Tony Jantjies, 22 Philippus du Plessis.

Also read in our Boer Rapport on the weekend about him
Rapport
* JP du Plessis (senter) van Paul Roos Gimnasium het in Oos-Londen ’n “pa-krisis” beleef.

“Almal het gedink Carel du Plessis is my pa, maar my pa is Charl du Plessis. Hy en Carel was spanmaats vir die Gaselle.”

Hy het by die Laerskool Reitz in die Vrystaat flank gespeel en eers vanjaar op senter by Paul Roos uitgedraf.

“My pa is betrokke by die Goue Leeus-span. Hy het my vroeg al onder hande geneem.”

Die volgende drie jaar word hy ’n Aussie, waar hy rugbyliga gaan speel. Hy gaan terselfdertyd bemarking swot.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Translation please PB.

Saw Farrell play his first senior match for Saracens against the Western Force. He was on the bench with his dad. Was entertaining them warm up together. Looked like he had more than a fair share of talent.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
OK will try my best.

JP had a dad crises because everybody thought he was Carel Doep, the prince of wings kid. He grow up in the Free State at Reitz Prymary (Doc Craven also root from there) and played flanker, his dad coach him (his dad was Carels team mate for the Gazelles in the isolation years) and is involved with the Golden Lions at the moment.

The bolded part is that he will be a Aussie the next three years with the league lot and will study marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.