• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AUS Tour to NZ 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Tour of New Zealand

Feb 3: First ODI v New Zealand, Auckland (Eden Park)
Feb 6: Second ODI v New Zealand, Wellington (Wellington Regional Stadium)
Feb 8: Third ODI v New Zealand, Hamilton (Seddon Park)
Feb 12-16: First Test v New Zealand, Wellington (Basin Reserve)
Feb 20-24: Second Test v New Zealand, Christchurch (Hagley Oval)

Australia ODI squad for Chappell-Hadlee Trophy: Steve Smith (c), David Warner (vc), George Bailey, Scott Boland, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, John Hastings, Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Kane Richardson, Matthew Wade, Adam Zampa

Australia Test squad for Trans-Tasman Trophy: Steve Smith (c), David Warner (vc), Jackson Bird, Joe Burns, Josh Hazlewood, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Peter Nevill, Peter Siddle, James Pattinson, Chadd Sayers, Adam Voges

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Very, very odd that Finch retains his spot in ODI team in front of Khawaja.:confused:

Pretty amazing that he can't find a spot, especially for Marsh. I am not a Finch fan either, he is all or nothing but has a very good strike rate for games per ton so I can understand his selection. Would have Usman over both in my team.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The ODIs are still being used as preparation for the WT20.

Finch has an average in T20Is of 39.87 at 152.41.
Warner has 28.96 at 138.43.
Marsh has 18.58 at 104.69
Ussie is yet to play a T20 international.

Plus Finchy is the captain. Admittedly it's not so clear cut for domestic T20s

Finch: 33.67 at 133.08
Warner: 33.34 at 144.42
Marsh: 41.77 at 129.99
Ussie: 35.20 at 123.02

Don't get me wrong, Finch's place should probably be under consideration, but the next tournaments a bit soon to change a settled top order and the Captain.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Wouldn't a 3 match tour of NZ be the perfect time? Part of the art of selecting is to know when to change - and it's the current panel's achilles heel. Last Saturday was a metaphor of SMarsh's career - pulled off an absolute screamer and then dropped an absolute sitter.

Chief Selector Marsh seems to be saying that Khawaja is almost a certainty to be in the WT20 squad which, if you are correct is saying the the ODIs are being used as preparation for that event, makes his omission even more bizarre.

The sense Australia's imminent Twenty20 series against India will be a proving ground for World Twenty20 selection has intensified, with chief selector Rod Marsh suggesting at least two players outside the current squad would make the final cut for India.
Usman Khawaja is all but certain of making Australia's 15-man squad for the tournament in March, despite having not played a limited-overs match for Australia for three years and having yet to play a Twenty20 international.
"Well, would you pick him in your T20 side at the moment? God, three blokes [who are fellow selectors] are going to have to give me a pretty good case to change my mind," Marsh said on Monday, when asked about the prospects of the 29-year-old being chosen for the World T20 despite being excluded from the three-match series against India.
"Usman is right up there in terms of being included in the T20 world cup squad."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/australia-v-india-casualties-loom-in-australias-twenty20-squad-with-outsiders-to-return-for-world-t20-20160125-gmdft5.html#ixzz3yEBAsyci
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Apparently the selectors think he will get more out of a shield match in Adelaide along with Joe Burns to get him back into 5 day mode.

There's also the feeling that his fielding is not up to ODI standard (which is probably true to be fair). You'd think he'd been on the plane to India, but there is going to have to be some very tough decisions for the T20 WC.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Gee, I'd have thought that 3 ODIs in NZ conditions would be better preparation for 2 tests in NZ than a Shield match in Adelaide.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Chief Selector Marsh on the news acknowledging the form of Khawaja and then comes out with the extraordinary statement "we couldn't find anyone to drop". Last year Voges apparently had to be picked because he scored so many runs "we just had to pick him", but apparently that logic no longer applies.:confused:

Selection meetings must resemble a Monty Python sketch.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Chief Selector Marsh on the news acknowledging the form of Khawaja and then comes out with the extraordinary statement "we couldn't find anyone to drop". Last year Voges apparently had to be picked because he scored so many runs "we just had to pick him", but apparently that logic no longer applies.:confused:

Selection meetings must resemble a Monty Python sketch.
Trying to put myself in their shoes.

I reckon they are trying to achieve two things at the moment - get the test team ready for the matches in NZ, and get the T20i team ready for the world cup. They have to use these ODIs to try and achieve both aims.

Realistically, from the top order Warner and Smith need the hit too. Finch is the obvious candidate to make way for Ussie, or possibly Bailey but they want to keep those guys sharp for the T20 WC.

Anyone else in the squad either bats too far down the order to make sure he gets enough time in the middle, or will be in the squad but wont play the games (SMarsh), so what's the point of dropping him?

By not selecting Ussie the get him time in the middle against a red ball, and keep the T20 guys batting too.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Trying to put myself in their shoes.

I reckon they are trying to achieve two things at the moment - get the test team ready for the matches in NZ, and get the T20i team ready for the world cup. They have to use these ODIs to try and achieve both aims.

Realistically, from the top order Warner and Smith need the hit too. Finch is the obvious candidate to make way for Ussie, or possibly Bailey but they want to keep those guys sharp for the T20 WC.

Anyone else in the squad either bats too far down the order to make sure he gets enough time in the middle, or will be in the squad but wont play the games (SMarsh), so what's the point of dropping him?

By not selecting Ussie the get him time in the middle against a red ball, and keep the T20 guys batting too.

Perhaps you've correctly interpreted their thinking - it does seem a bit of a hotch potch though. :)

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It's also likely to be Finch's last genuine hit out before the warm ups. While the other 3 do play Tests/First class cricket, Finch continues to struggle to crack the Bushrangers side, with Quiney, Dean, Stoinis, Handscome, Maxwell, Wade and Christian likely to be the preferred top 7 if fit.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Jeez the Finch critics are out in force again.

I remember something similar before the ODI world cup. A few here were questioning his position in the starting side and first match of the tournament he tore England apart.

For mine, he's still world class in limited overs cricket, particularly t20. There's a good reason he's ranked #1 in the world by the ICC.

Khawaja should be at 3 in all forms right now. Smith at 4. Maxwell/Bailey at 5 and Marsh/Maxwell at 6 for ODI's.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I think they like having 3 bowlers and 3 all rounders though Light, which means there's only really room for 4 batsmen and the wicketkeeper. Means he Ussie either has to open or knock off Bailey to get in.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Jeez the Finch critics are out in force again.
My main criticism of Finch last night was related to his captaincy. Field placings were less than inspired, particularly with a leggie turning the ball into a left hander without a mid wicket inside the 35m ring. A number of shots from Raina (I think) went in the air though that gap. Thought he didn't manage his bowlers as good as he should have as well. Why he kept Tait on for three overs initially when the best of the Indian batters were battering him around at will made no sense. If the selectors continue to give him an inadequate bowling attack, he will need to show more creativity in its management. Tait, for instance, is only a threat to lower order batsmen these days imo. Keep him for later in the game to go hard at middle order to tail enders when the field is spread. Otherwise, he shouldn't be there at all imo.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mitchell McClenaghan out of the ODI's: copped one in the face batting v Pakistan & has a fracture just above his left eye, had surgery on it today.

image.jpeg

They're hopeful he'll be back for the World T20.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
. Thought he didn't manage his bowlers as good as he should have as well. Why he kept Tait on for three overs initially when the best of the Indian batters were battering him around at will made no sense. If the selectors continue to give him an inadequate bowling attack, he will need to show more creativity in its management. Tait, for instance, is only a threat to lower order batsmen these days imo. Keep him for later in the game to go hard at middle order to tail enders when the field is spread. Otherwise, he shouldn't be there at all imo.

Yeah that's a good point . He probably should have brought Watson or Faulkner on earlier and hoped they'd get a breakthrough or at least stem the flow of runs. At the time with the pace Tait was bowling, he probably thought that the wild thing would cause more problems with the new ball and probably go for more runs later in the innings.

Boyce is a tough one because he has great potential but at this point in his career he doesn't have the experience or skill yet to cause the better sub-continent batsmen problems.

I wonder how long it will be before we see duel spin opening the bowling in t20i's.

Status
Not open for further replies.