• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AUS Vs WI 15/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Oh great, now we have Clarke in commentary and this morning it was the three bozos together: JB, Clarke and Warne. Just now we've had Mark Nicholas feeding him underarms and asking him to tell us how great he was. Really didn't like Clarke in commentary last season and apparently it was Warne's idea.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I actually thought the opposite when he was talking during the rain break. Tubby led him into a discussion about his triple century and he didn't seem to want to take much credit, from memory he said the outfield was quick and it was a flat pitch that helped him. (Taylor obviously took the opportunity to bring up his own ton, to which Clarke said Tubby's was in tougher conditions)

The conversation then drifted to Smith. Clarke was quick to point out that Smith is a far better bowler than he was, Tubby stated that Clarke's 6/9 in India suggested otherwise and Clarke talked it down.

It was refreshing. That said, I didn't hear his commentary during the game.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
My issue was more his commentary last summer than today if I'm honest.

Anyway, is anyone watching RSA v Eng? Fair to that this looks like the end of an era for the Saffers. They've been towelled up two tests in a row by an admittedly good England side (certainly good enough to beat us) and without Steyn (who appears to be on his way out, due to his body more than anything) they look pretty ordinary. Their batting in the last 12 months has been fairly abject too.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The Newlands pitch is an absolute disgrace for a test wicket. Both teams make 600+ and going into day 5 the test has practically 0% chance of a result.

IMO Trevor Bayliss is the most underrated coach in world cricket, he's done a great job with England.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
The Newlands pitch is an absolute disgrace for a test wicket. Both teams make 600+ and going into day 5 the test has practically 0% chance of a result.

IMO Trevor Bayliss is the most underrated coach in world cricket, he's done a great job with England.
England dropped 9 catches!

Much like Australia in Perth, if they take their chances the game and pitch don't look nearly as bad.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Really negative cricket from the Windies. Call the game off and see if the captains will agree to a T20 exhibition match.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Luckily I was out of the country during the Sydney test - in a place where cricket doesn't figure in the news. That the series ended in a meaningless draw sums the whole thing up really.

Cricket Australia need to think outside the square for the future. I assume that we have England every 4 years and India every 4 years for 5 test series - that covers 50% of Boxing Day/New Year test series. West Indies, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe need to be kept out of the major test venues until they improve significantly - off season tests in Darwin, Cairns or Townsville only.

That only leaves Sri Lanka, Pakistan, South Africa and New Zealand to fill the other 2 years of the 4 year cycle. Sri Lanka have been good in the past, so hopefully they can improve from their current display in NZ. Depends which Pakistan turns up - if they are on they are highly competitive. I'd like to think that NZ could be convinced to play tests in Australia in December/January as the alternative was a ODI before a few thousand people in rural NZ. I understand that Sth Africa want to play their own home tests on Boxing Day/New Year and are unlikely to change that desire.

We simply can't have another series against sub-standard opposition at this time of year.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Our Saffer brothers can grizzle all they like about Australia pinching their Boxing Day/New Year opponents, but until they can guarantee crowds like we get here in Melbourne and Sydney over that time they'll have to wear it. And our opponents include the Saffers themselves.

This was politely brought up with the Saffer cricket authorities some years ago when the split series in 2008/09 was scheduled, the ACB was happy to play the holiday tests in SAf if the UCBSA compensated us for the anticipated revenue from those huge crowds. The Saffers declined, the usual Boxing Day/New Year's tests in Oz proceeded.

Status
Not open for further replies.