• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A - Back on the Cards

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Yes I wonder where all the touring money would come from. Rugby Australia can’t afford to run a domestic NRC comp, a full European tour for an A side isn’t going to be cheap. Flights, accom, match fees and expenses for 30 odd blokes on top of the Wallabies probably won’t happen.
Not unless they emerging nations are able to cover the costs of the tour and still make a profit

Hogie

Herbert Moran (7)
Or perhaps travel with slightly larger squad and bring in overseas based players for a midweek fixture similar to what happened a few years back. Plenty of players eligible playing in France and UK, and may entice a few to look to come back to Oz. Contract release obviously biggest hurdle but maybe something to consider.

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
I like this and when the World League fails to come to fruition (even I though I'm a supporter of the concept) I hope we see it expanded to include the Maori, the USA, Canada and Chile. I also hope that we see a touring squad headed to Europe in November to play the REC nations.
Why Chile? Do u have Chilean heritage?

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
Captaincy candidates for this team?
The man in charge, the boss, the chief, the commander, the taskmaster, the overseer, the hitman, the alpha male, the skipper, the leader,
the owner:
gettyimages-1275794522-2048x2048-1.jpg

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I really wished I knew more what RA plans are and where at. Ie a) super rugby and realistically how could work more in our favour as better competition b) nrc mark 3 c) Australia A - short term thing or bigger long term plans d) State of origin concept - goer or on mothballs for 5 years e) private equity investment - timelines and plans for what would do with funds - ditto from lions tour and RWC f) club rugby championship- still an option g) possible expansion plans h) probably lots of other stuff but leave it there…

Ps. Not saying of course RA should have to communicate any of the above, just personal interest to want to know plans

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Here's the Tonga squad.

Loosehead props: Sigfried Fisi'ihoi, Tau Kolomatangi, David Lolohea

Hookers: Samiuela Moli, Siua Maile, Jay Fonokalafi

Tighthead props: Siate Tokolahi, Ben Tameifuna, Sosefo Apikotoa

Backrow: Tanginoa Halaifonua, Viliami Taulani, Lotu Inisi, Solomone Funaki, Sione Tu'ipulotu

Locks: Samuela Lousi, Halaleva Fifita, Veikoso Poloniati

Halfbacks: Sonatane Takulua, Augustine Pulu, Manu Paea

First five-eighth: William Havili, James Faiva

Centres: Malakai Fekitoa, Afusipa Taumoepeau, Fetuli Paea, Fine Inisi

Outside backs: Solomone Kata, Salesi Piutau, Tima Fainga'anuku, Israel Folau, Anzelo Tuitavuki

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
9. Pulu
10. Havili
11. Kata
12. Taumoepeau
13. Fekitoa
14. Folau
15. Piutau

Pretty useful backline.
Will be huge for the game. Especially here in Aus, rugby is still dominate in the islands. But in the expat communities here league dominates if they can now put out competitive sides that could make it out of the group stage at the World Cup it will really help get eye balls back on rugby.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Here's the Tonga squad.

Loosehead props: Sigfried Fisi'ihoi, Tau Kolomatangi, David Lolohea

Hookers: Samiuela Moli, Siua Maile, Jay Fonokalafi

Tighthead props: Siate Tokolahi, Ben Tameifuna, Sosefo Apikotoa

Backrow: Tanginoa Halaifonua, Viliami Taulani, Lotu Inisi, Solomone Funaki, Sione Tu'ipulotu

Locks: Samuela Lousi, Halaleva Fifita, Veikoso Poloniati

Halfbacks: Sonatane Takulua, Augustine Pulu, Manu Paea

First five-eighth: William Havili, James Faiva

Centres: Malakai Fekitoa, Afusipa Taumoepeau, Fetuli Paea, Fine Inisi

Outside backs: Solomone Kata, Salesi Piutau, Tima Fainga'anuku, Israel Folau, Anzelo Tuitavuki

how much different is this to the Tongan squad who actually got through the RWC qualification matches?

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
9. Pulu
10. Havili
11. Kata
12. Taumoepeau
13. Fekitoa
14. Folau
15. Piutau

Pretty useful backline.
Not sure Afusipa is quite to the quality that surrounds him there - shift Piutau to 12, Folau to 15 and include one of the other wingers and you have a real quality starting backline.