• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A - Back on the Cards

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not sure Afusipa is quite to the quality that surrounds him there - shift Piutau to 12, Folau to 15 and include one of the other wingers and you have a real quality starting backline.

Still a regular starter in the Top 14 albeit for a struggling team.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
they are yet to qualify I believe

I believe they are set to play either Hong Kong, Malaysia or Korea for a spot in the RWC.

The loser of that playoff then joins the final qualification tournament where the winner will qualify for the RWC.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Asia/ Pacific qualification pathway is:

4 June South Korea v Malaysia
8 or 9 June Hong Kong v winner of SK v M
23 June Tonga v winner of HK v SK or M

Winner qualifies for RWC in Pool B (SA, Ireland, Scotland & Europe 2 qualifier), loser goes through to Final Qualification Tournament in November.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Final qualification tournament will be that team plus an Americas team (probably Chile - assuming USA beats them and qualifies), an African team (probably Zimbabwe or Kenya assuming Namibia wins the African Championship), and a European team (whoever finishes second out of Spain, Romania, Netherlands and Portugal).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Will be huge for the game. Especially here in Aus, rugby is still dominate in the islands. But in the expat communities here league dominates if they can now put out competitive sides that could make it out of the group stage at the World Cup it will really help get eye balls back on rugby.
Yep especially as Tonga league side getting profile which not been good (as union supporter)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So given wallaby squad announced now australia a squad to be picked.

So:

15: hodge, Campbell
Wing: Daigunu, pulu, muirhead, marky N/Pietsch
Centre: To'omua, Foketi, Stewart
flyhalf: Donaldson, Pasitoa, edmed
Half: Tuttle, Lonergan, fines
Backkrow: wells, Harris, RVW
7: Mcreight: Wilkins
6: Anstee, Hanigan
Lock: Blyth, smith, Uru, Hosea
Hooker: Kaitu’u, mcinerary/ pollard, uelesee
Props: Robertson, Fotuiaka, gibbon, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)

Above cut back to 30

Last edited:

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Wouldn’t mind seeing Trevor Hosea in the Aus A squad. He’s due to resume playing again after a bad foot break meant he missed entire Super Rugby season.

Has potential to be the best of all the young locks in the country. A good rotation of Blyth, Smith and Hosea in the 3 games with Frost dropped in for some game time away from the main squad.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So given wallaby squad announced now australia a squad to be picked.

So:

15: hodge, Campbell
Wing: Daigunu, pulu, muirhead, marky N, pietsch
Centre: To'omua, flook, kuenzele, Stewart, Henry
flyhalf: Donaldson, Pasitoa, edmed
Half: Tuttle, Lonergan, fines, prior
8: wells, Harris, RVW
7: Mcreight: Wilkins
6: Anstee, Hanigan
Lock: Blyth, smith, Uru, McCauley
Hooker: Kaitu’u, mcinerary, pollard, uelesee
Props: Robertson, Fotuiaka, gibbon, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Wagner
Too many. I think it's a 30 man squad.

Props: Robertson, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Gibbon, Fotuiaka
Hookers: Kaitu'u, Pollard, Uelese
Locks: Smith, Hanigan, Blyth, Hooper (if fit)
Backrow: McReight, Wright, Anstee, Uru, Swinton (what's the go with him?), Harris
Half: Lonergan, Fines
10: Edmed, Donaldson
Centres: Foketi, To'omua, Stewart
Wingers: Mark N (Nawaqanitawase), Daugunu, Pulu, Pietsch/Muirhead
Fullback: Hodge, Campbell

Backrow looks very light with not many carriers I got to say

Last edited:

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Will be huge for the game. Especially here in Aus, rugby is still dominate in the islands. But in the expat communities here league dominates if they can now put out competitive sides that could make it out of the group stage at the World Cup it will really help get eye balls back on rugby.
Most of the Islanders who live in OZ pick League over Union, isn't it? It's a cheaper code to follow, to play and to watch on TV. The economic factor is the main reason

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Flook is injured. Outside centre the biggest challenge.

Ikitau (BRU), Paisami & Petaia (RED and Perese (WAR) all in Wallaby squad.

Assume Godwin & Newsome won’t be picked (nor will others leaving such as LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) etc) so that doesn’t leave much.

Hodge likely the only option with Foketi shifting as well.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)

Props: Robertson, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Gibbon, Fotuiaka
Backrow: McReight, Wright, Anstee, Uru, Swinton (what's the go with him?), Harris

Yes . 30 man squad…Pasitoa for To’omua in the centres possibly?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Props: Robertson, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Gibbon, Fotuiaka

Forgot about Foketi and yes thought it might be 35 size squad like wallabies squad but no idea, but cut back to 30. Assumed swinton still not an option due to nerve issues but yes would be automatic inclusion. Included Foketi as forgot about him. I think with 30 I have picked are all players would want a higher look at.

Last edited: