• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England Test 1 Sat. July 2 @1955

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Time to focus on game 1.

The forward battle will be brutal, and England have the edge in experience. Their scrummagers will be a major concern, while we might be a bit faster in the backrow. We have some real issues at 1, 2, 3 with players at different levels of form, injury recovery and experience. I genuinely don't have a clue how it will turn out.

Although we have big problems at 15, I reckon we clearly have superiority in experience and class in the backs. But if England kick and chase all day off better forward ball that may not matter.

So, what do you predict?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Think Wallaby locks may hold the key to a lot of game, not just in lineouts but scrummaging. It's hard to say how backlines will match up, but agree with Hawko Aus have a fairly hany loose forward trio, and just maybe a better lead up so would think they maybe slight favourites.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Perfect winters day in Perth expected

1656055830854.png

Nick F

Frank Row (1)
From a SD's perspective we have all lost confidence in Eddie now. The selection merry go round is non-stop, but we are no clearer to understanding England's strongest XV than we were a couple of years ago. He keeps playing people out of position (Farrell at 12, Marchant, Tuilagi (when fit) & Malins on the wing, Lawes at 6). Chop and change is his M.O. Add in the continual replacement of coaches no tactics or style of play is allowed to bed in. New defence and attack coaches are trying yet another system, which clearly went well in shipping 50 points to a 14 man Babas team. But England should still be able to put out a strong pack. Genge/Mako at loosehead, George/Cowan-Dickie at hooker, tighthead is weaker, but Itoje and Hill are both Lions albeit Itoje off his game and I would have given him the summer off to prepare for the very long RWC season to follow and Hill just back from a lengthy injury period and not back up to speed. Lawes, Billy V and Curry the likely back row whereas I prefer Lawes in the 2nd row with Underhill at 6, but still strong. 3 young 9s vying for the starting spot. Marcus Smith an exciting talent at 10 and will play alongside Farrell as a new combo. Probably Marchant at 13. Steward at 15 is very solid and the wingers are uncertain but expecting May and Cockansiga/Nowell/Watson.
Missing are Sinckler, Marler, Launchbury, Tuilagi, Slade, Youngs, but more important than that is no settled side or way of playing. Defence all over the place and Eddie talks constantly about a new multi-faceted attack, which we have yet to see any sign of. Now another new mid-field of Smith, Farrell and Marchant, which lacks firepower. We have won 2 and lost 3 games in the last 2 6Ns and that reflects our current level. Aus seem to be on a resurgence so I would expect a 3-0 Aus win.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Great to see your sides take on it Nick. I thought Itoje looked to be needing a break too, but will also enjoy watching your team from this side of Tasman to see how they shaping.
I really looking forward to the series, I find it great fun watching tests as a neutral, not caring who wins etc, just enjoy the rugby.

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Missing are Sinckler, Marler, Launchbury, Tuilagi, Slade, Youngs, but more important than that is no settled side or way of playing. Defence all over the place and Eddie talks constantly about a new multi-faceted attack, which we have yet to see any sign of. Now another new mid-field of Smith, Farrell and Marchant, which lacks firepower. We have won 2 and lost 3 games in the last 2 6Ns and that reflects our current level. Aus seem to be on a resurgence so I would expect a 3-0 Aus win.
I know you Brits hate yourselves and your sporting teams even more - but this is crazy talk. We've beaten you 3 times in the last 12 years (or something like that).

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Im expecting this to be a close series but im pretty confident the australian squad will be a bit too good for the poms.

In terms of selection, if JOC (James O'Connor) passes match fitness id have him on the bench. He was in great form before his latest injury and has the experience and versatility to cover 10 to 15

Last edited:

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
If O'Connor is fit do we then play a 6:2 bench so we can bolster the forwards and let them tear into it knowing we've got everything covered?

Nick F

Frank Row (1)
I know you Brits hate yourselves and your sporting teams even more - but this is crazy talk. We've beaten you 3 times in the last 12 years (or something like that).
I appreciate your perspective in light of England doing well against the Green and Gold in recent years, but I think we all try and assess our teams against their potential. England have performed well below their potential for some time. All we can hope for is that Eddie does have some sort of master plan and it will all come together for the RWC. But on this tour right now against a Wallabies team on the up I think it will be tough going for England. We seem to always be able to put out a decent pack, but our backs are a shambles. We wait for Manu's return to fitness and otherwise there is little spark in that area. It will be interesting to see how Eddie sets England up to play. Possibly lots and lots of box kicking, but we will wait and see.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Tupou to be fit and ready. Lost a few kgs in his off time and ready to demolish, MoTM against a weakened English front row.
June 26, 2022 — 2.27pm
Taniela Tupou looks set to miss the first Test against England as the Wallabies draft in reinforcements for the wrecking ball prop.

Tupou, the face of the three-Test series against England, is still battling the calf injury that ruled him out of the back end of the Super Rugby season and Wallabies coaches want to play it safe and not risk doing further damage by rushing him back.
The news will likely force a front row re-think, with loosehead James Slipper in the frame to switch to the other side so the Wallabies do not lose experience in the first Test in Perth this week.

Allan Ala’alatoa would start in the No.3 jersey, with Slipper coming off the bench over the uncapped Pone Fa’amausili. Selectors could look to NSW loosehead Angus Bell to start in the No.1 jersey, with departing Brumbies prop Scott Sio as cover off the bench.
Sources told the Herald that Tupou was dealing with the same injury that saw David Pocock miss five months in 2019.

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
With Tupou possibly out, Iain Payten anticipates that Slipper will be the reserve tighthead. Can anyone else see Rennie running with this?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Slipper got done over in his last game of Super, by a front row that got done over in the Final. Love the bloke and trust it was a one off, but I'm not taking it as particularly promising to have Slipps swapping to tight head for the English tests.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
What's happened ta Pone?
Think Pone is a bit of a project still at Test level. Love to see where he can get to even by the World Cup.

I'd start AAA with Slipper/Sio on the bench. Great pair to come on for the last 25 mins. Do we think Porecki is going to start? I like the thought of him doing the grind work and then bring on FF (Folau Fainga'a) for a bit of explosivity.

Rae Rae

Status
Not open for further replies.