• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I don't think anyone is vouching for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to be seriously considered for the RWC squad until we see how he goes next year, for this tour though considering the circumstances, it's understandable.

Why is it understandable? Shouldn't a test against Italy be an opportunity for new blood?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So there's a breach of team protocol and all of sudden it's reminiscent of the Link/Beale/Patson saga (of which we still don't know the full details). Maybe the protocol was that they can't take females back to their rooms while and tour and they had to leave the hotel bar by 10pm or something. I don't think Cheika would orchestrate a cover up.

We still don't know what's happened to Tupou though, perhaps that one is more serious.
No, it’s a link to a group led by AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) flouting team protocol to go to the pub. In both cases the coach has had to stand players down from the following game.

In this case one assumes that it was AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) who invited his own sister in law to the team hotel.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Why is it understandable? Shouldn't a test against Italy be an opportunity for new blood?
Italy was evidently a 'test' to see if he was still up to it and/or for match fitness with the intention being to include him on the 23 for tonight's game. The consensus is that he passed said test, but he's now shot himself in the foot.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
There was an article on stuff.co.nz and some other sites yesterday where Cheika talked about dropping Beale for tactical reasons and gave no mention of this indiscretion.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Yeah and that's why I said 'internally'. So the coach comes to you and says we gotta drop you and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) but we don't wanna publicise the hotel room thing so we will just say its a change of combinations or whatever.

Idk, it was just a thought. Who knows with Cheika, seriously.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Why is logic a required element with this coaching staff?

I guess because being dropped for a minor code breach is less embarrassing than being dropped for being shit, and Cheika clearly has a bond with Beale.
Jeez, im hoping your wrong
I’d feel much better if it was announced he’s been dropped on form.

If it’s a rule breach worthy of dropping them,then why the fuck weren’t they sent home immediately?

If the breach was only minor,then why the fuck aren’t they playing?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Jeez, im hoping your wrong
I’d feel much better if it was announced he’s been dropped on form.

If it’s a rule breach worthy of dropping them,then why the fuck weren’t they sent home immediately?

If the breach was only minor,then why the fuck aren’t they playing?

Amidst his perceived flaws Cheika is strong on two points - a professional culture and not handing out test jerseys cheaply.

On the former it's not uncommon for people to make seemingly irrational business/work decisions because they are putting their family first, and/or for businesses to fire or demote employees for breaches. It's not any different really. Their punishment was to not be considered for the England test, it's not really our place to deem if that was appropriate or not.

On the latter, he's made some mistakes with debutantes sure, but he does put a lot of value on the jersey and won't cap someone just to fill a hole. I'm thinking Banks hasn't stepped up to the training regime, doesn't mean he won't in the future but I reckon Cheika doesn't think he's ready yet.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah and that's why I said 'internally'. So the coach comes to you and says we gotta drop you and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) but we don't wanna publicise the hotel room thing so we will just say its a change of combinations or whatever.

Idk, it was just a thought. Who knows with Cheika, seriously.
Maybe, although seems more likely to me that Cheika wouldn't want to give the impression he was losing control of discipline and the playing group given he's lost control of everything else, hence putting out the "dropped on form narrative".

What is clear is the whole thing has gone to shit and the sooner they hop on QF2 the better.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Its probably a combination. Like, with Beale, his form has been marginal at best and therefore close to being omitted. Then this thing is the straw that breaks the camel's.

With AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), offered a chance no one has ever had before (in terms of how long since playing in a top tier league) and gets involved in this thing. He got thrown a giant fucking bone by being on this tour and maybe MC feels disrespected (or something). I know I would.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Am i the only one here that finds it odd that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) isn't allowed to hang out with his sister in law?

If they were blind drunk and getting on it or something then sure but just hanging out..?

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Why is logic a required element with this coaching staff?

I guess because being dropped for a minor code breach is less embarrassing than being dropped for being shit, and Cheika clearly has a bond with Beale.
Beal cannot afford any such indiscretion. I think he would rather be dropped on form.

Perhaps Cheika is loosing the dressing shed including Beale. Got to think he knew earlier and was keeping it quiet but something has triggered this.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Am i the only one here that finds it odd that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) isn't allowed to hang out with his sister in law?

If they were blind drunk and getting on it or something then sure but just hanging out..?
His sister in law as his wife's sister? Or his brother's wife? Which one was it? As there is a big difference

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)

No, you're not. I also find the apparent enforcement of whatever rule they have to be a bit odd in this case.

But I kinda get it. The team isn't performing. The coach is almost certainly going to be fired next year. Both of these players have been given opportunities they arguably haven't deserved (or more delicately, have been given opportunities that they should consider themselves very fortunate to have been given). The coach is pissed off that, at the same time, they can't follow simple rules. Put those two together and they get dropped.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I also wonder if sex the night before a match has a positive or negative impact on a players performance.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Why was it necessary for them to go back to the hotel room? You can catch up downstairs. More importantly, the lads had been in Cardiff for days before the game, why didn’t they catch up then?

There was a rule and they broke it. There’s a reason why these type of rules exist and breaking them can have pretty servere consequences if something goes tits up.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Perhaps, or perhaps being militaristic with your rules sets you up for inevitable breaches.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
And perhaps these two have other stuff on their records (being late to meetings and shit like that) that we don't know about (in addition to the stuff we do know about).

And perhaps, far from dedicating themselves to mentoring the young blood (I don't know why people think this is a thing, as if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and a young centre are going to spend additional time working together on defence), they strut around like the big-men-on-campus they see themselves whilst we go 4 and 10 on the season?

Perhaps if Pocock had his mum to his hotel room he wouldn't get dropped because it wasn't the most recent in a line of non compliance issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.