• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Italy was evidently a 'test' to see if he was still up to it and/or for match fitness with the intention being to include him on the 23 for tonight's game. The consensus is that he passed said test, but he's now shot himself in the foot.

He most certainly has, and has left a lot of recently returned fans (after Italy) feeling very empty.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Anyway, onto the game - that England team is very beatable. Whether our blokes have the capability to do it is an entirely different matter, but I won't be surprised if it's a close game either way. The last game of the spring tour hasn't ended well for us the last couple of years, so I'm pretty bearish.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Does this mean that the SMH "journalists" are now going to make up some shit about Cheika sleeping with one of his assistants?

I can't see us getting even remotely close to a functioning England side.

Whether England are a functioning side remains to be seen though.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Wallabies have a lot of issues to overcome before they will be able to compete with England.

The scrum is generally very good, but if they have to bring Ainsley on for any length of time, I expect England will have a run of scrum penalties and some late penalty goal kicking opportunities.

I think our backrow will again struggle against a bigger and more aggressive trio in England, though Hooper will be more effective playing a proper No 7 position in the absence of Pocock. A lot will depend on how Dempsey is shaping up. He really hasn't been near his best in the last couple of tests. Not a lot of good ball carrying ability across Hooper, Samu and and out of form Dempsey, while Pocock will be sorely missed for his turnover capabilities when under pressure.

The lineout is likely to be a problem. Latu's throwing has been the poorest of the hookers on tour, and his propensity to do stupid things could well see him YCed at some stage. Again, with a smallish trio in the backrow, the England jumpers will probably have a field day.

The defense in the back line is probably the biggest worry. Can't see Foley defending at 12 against the likes of Teo and Tuilagi, so the swapping of positions will likely be retained with the added fatigue for the outside backs and Genia running all over the place will become a factor again. And if Foley plays with ball in hand like he did against Italy, there is little hope of the Wallabies getting over the gain line or through the defensive line to get into scoring positions.

The lack of real pace out wide with DHP and Folau will also mitigate against the Wallabies being able to put tries on the board.

All in all, if England play to their abilities and to a reasonable game plan, they are well in the hunt to put a sizeable score on the Wallabies tonight.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
G

GingerBreadCrab

That may well be, but it wouldn't be the first time AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) & Kurtley have been at the forefront of a scandal and had it covered up by the ARU.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
It is all pretty nondescript in terms of an indiscretion so far and the most irritating thing about it is the timing of the penalty - shame about the delay to the week of the England game to bring it up and I wonder about the motivation of the players involved.

In that neither AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) nor KB (Kurtley Beale) have a lot of recent form to make them locks for selection, it has just cut down the Cheikoptions.

And got some publicity. There has been a dearth of media coverage of the tour since Wales and it almost feels like this breaking through is a win for rugby.

:-/

B

Bobby Sands

Who could have predicted we would need 8s & 12s on tour!?

Fall on your sword Cheika, it’s already dead.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Who could have predicted we would need 8s & 12s on tour!?

Fall on your sword Cheika, it’s already dead.
We don't have an 8.

But, I'd certainly prefer someone like Meakes at 12 over Foley. Even if Meakes doesnt seem international standard.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) invited his sister in law and 2 friends into a room and Beale's only involvement is being there (presumeably in what was his room), then I don't know why he would be subject to any sanction at all.

Reactions: TSR

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) invited his sister in law and 2 friends into a room and Beale's only involvement is being there (presumeably in what was his room), then I don't know why he would be subject to any sanction at all.

I think there is just a general rule of no women in the hotel rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.