• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs South Africa - Brisbane 7th Sept 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
I think you have to do a box kick occasionally. Flinging it back to a guy in the in-goal under massive pressure is sometimes a recipe for disaster. Genia is just too slow to execute the kick, its too obvious that's what he's doing, and his kicks go too low. Basically he isn't very good at them.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If that many opposition bombs are left to bounce then there is something desperately fucking wrong at fullback.

Take your blue and white tinted glasses (with gold rim) off just for a moment and try again.

The Wallabies' failing to contest the high ball is not new, and not confined to Mogg. It has been going on for years. Will Genia has been the only player who consistently tries to take the bomb for about the past 3 - 4 years. I agree it is a huge problem with the Wallabies' game and Moggy hasn't always been the best, but he's far from the worst. Folau would in all probability be the best option, and I hope to see him run out at 15 some time soon.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think you have to do a box kick occasionally. Flinging it back to a guy in the in-goal under massive pressure is sometimes a recipe for disaster. Genia is just too slow to execute the kick, its too obvious that's what he's doing, and his kicks go too low. Basically he isn't very good at them.

I think there has to be a time and place for box kicks, especially if they are not executed with precision, as per Will's, otherwise they just result in turn over ball. I do not think the Wallabies should be using the box kick against top opposition anywhere within 40 - 50m of their try line. They could live with turn over but not also giving the opposition ball in a good attacking position. That is a double whammy and we see it happen all too often.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm just surprised to see Genia still doing so many box kicks when it's always been a weak part of his game.........

Back in RWC 2011 we were all calling for him to stop it then.......

Maybe Nic White can give him some lessons?

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
slide_1866_24854_large.jpg

off topic but i can't work out why this photo reminds me of JOC (James O'Connor)? :)

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
No, no he wasn't. There is a case to be made for Mogg staying at fullback, but don't overegg the pudding mate. You can't be 'very good' if you never take the ball into contact.

This argument shits me. It isn't the fucking under 7s. 'Get their spirits up'??? Really?? Are they that fragile that we need to ensure we 'get their spirits up' before we drop them??

And the Springboks are hardly easybeats, you make it sound like we are playing Namibia.

This is test rugby. You pick your best 15 players, and when they are no longer your best 15 players you fucking change it. It is now clear to me that JOC (James O'Connor) or Folau would offer quite a bit more than Mogg. So he has to go, at least to the bench.

I see your point, and after the saffer game if it's still the same i'd agree with you.

However, for the first time since Latham we have an enormous boot at the back, something that will assist us greatly in maintaining good field position. Izzy's strength is his running and high ball work, so keep him in the 11 jersey and tell him to go looking for work. Mogg hasn't spilled a high ball yet at the back, the only thing he's not done well is kick and defend strongly. He's been average at both, but certainly not terrible. He absolutely played better than Genia or Moore, both of whom are above him on the ranking scale on teh front page.

Yes this is test rugby, but it still boils down to having a team. NZ play almost the same team week in week out, which is why they are so dominant. They don't just shitcan somebody after a bad test, how the hell do you build continuity if you do that?

Building a team is the same at test level as it is in club rugby. You need everyone to know each other's games intimately, feel confident and respected by all and sundry in the set up, and you need to work on the teams game as a TEAM.

Play the saem team this week, and if they're still not gelling, THEN look at doing a bit of tinkering. Everyone said before the first NZ game that this was the best team we've selected in 5 years. So what now, suddenyl after 2 games against the best national team in history, it's suddenly made up of poor selections and we got it wrong?

No, its' the best team. So stick with it, and let them work on what they're doing wrong. They've got 2 weeks before the play the Boks, our bitches, a team that they don't have a mental complex about playing. So let them play the boks and see what they can do.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Mogg was terrible in Bled 1 and poor in Bled 2. If he keeps that trajectory of improvement, he'll be World XV by the end of the season.

biltong

Stan Wickham (3)
They've got 2 weeks before the play the Boks, our bitches, a team that they don't have a mental complex about playing. So let them play the boks and see what they can do.

Hmmm, I suspect we already saw that change last year.

We aren't being coached by Pieter de Villiers anymore.

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Just because Mogg kicks more doesn't mean he's a better kicker than Izzy.

I can only recall two kicks from Izzy, but both were peaches.

It's nice to have a player with the courage to run the ball at the opposition.

This is not a pot shot at Mogg - but he is not the best fullback in this country.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I see your point, and after the saffer game if it's still the same i'd agree with you.

Yes this is test rugby, but it still boils down to having a team. NZ play almost the same team week in week out, which is why they are so dominant. They don't just shitcan somebody after a bad test, how the hell do you build continuity if you do that?

They do if as a new player into the team, he's not up to expectations.
The hook comes out very quickly.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
A 20min workhorse followed by a 20min rest in the stable.....

Nah, Palu has a consistently high workrate.

Spectators like to say he "goes missing" because it's not obvious what he does from off the field. His impact is in tight, putting on big hits at close range, that aren't especially visible from the stands but are to the players involved. That's why (when fit) he's consistently placed highly in players' awards or won them outright.

Ironically, it's this brutal impact in tight that we always moan about lacking, while only noticing players who run big lines. It's akin to insisting that we like thinking man's crumpet, while really only ever noticing womens' tits.

Palu's problem is that he breaks.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nah, Palu has a consistently high workrate.

Spectators like to say he "goes missing" because it's not obvious what he does from off the field. His impact is in tight, putting on big hits at close range, that aren't especially visible from the stands but are to the players involved. That's why (when fit) he's consistently placed highly in players' awards or won them outright.

Ironically, it's this brutal impact in tight that we always moan about lacking, while only noticing players who run big lines. It's akin to insisting that we like thinking man's crumpet, while really only ever noticing womens' tits.

Palu's problem is that he breaks.

To be fair Palu is great when he's fully fit, but that doesn't happen too often.........

During the Lions' series, after having just returned from injury he certainly wasn't consistent, particularly in the first test as Scott pointed out in his analysis back then........

Good in patches, although his involvements did improve with each match.......

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Is Palu available for the Brisbane test?

If not, not sure why this conversation is happening.

If he is available and fit, then he should walk straight in at No.8.

Mowen has not performed at 8 in the last two games and should go back to blindside. Fardy deserves another crack so not bothered which one of them starts.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
I think its time for quade to start. To'omua played solidly, don't get me wrong, but vs South Africa in Brisbane Cooper will have the edge. Matty will still have plenty of opportunities and I think Ewen will be wanting that little bit of unpredictability against the boks.

Status
Not open for further replies.