• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Bid for 2027 World Cup

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
I could see two quarters played in WA just for logistic reasons. You will be able to tow games back to back in OK European timezones particularly is you did 830pm kickoff in East Coast and WA

Would be best with English and South African quarters. Both timezone and Perth population

Likely last games in WA unless they want the semis on the same day

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
FIFA have a stipulation that games be played in rectangular stadiums with minimum capacity limits. I'm not sure if it's for all games or finals only. Does WR (World Rugby) have the same? If so MCG, Marvel and Optus are automatically ruled out.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The 2003 RWC is surely a pretty good guide.

Two quarter finals each at Docklands and Lang Park.

Semi finals at Stadium Australia and Lang Park.

Final and 3rd vs 4th at Stadium Australia.

You could certainly see the new Perth Stadium figuring somewhere in there plus potentially the new Sydney Football Stadium for a quarter final.

I think you'd get very short odds of the final being at Stadium Australia.

both semi's at Stadium Australia in 2003.

I mostly agree with barbabrians proposal.

I just think two semis in Sydney (NSW Govt will be keen to maximise the chance of Aust playing there.) It just gives the chance to built a week of rugby focus in the one city

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
both semi's at Stadium Australia in 2003.

I mostly agree with barbabrians proposal.

I just think two semis in Sydney (NSW Govt will be keen to maximise the chance of Aust playing there.) It just gives the chance to built a week of rugby focus in the one city

Woops. I misread the Wikipedia page.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
which is why I don't think they'll go to Marvel. They are negotiating with the states / territories directly for the better deal. If Vic want to put forward Marvel, it will be up to them to deliver as per hosting documents.

The afl do love money & it doesn't get used between mid sep & late nov as it is unless they can get a big concert. so a RWC might be right in there window of cashing in. However the chances of the stands ever being retracted in & out are long gone.

Back to the original point on Adelaide. How good would a 25 deg evening at the AO be with that section out the back open for after the game be! I can taste the coopers now

AdelaideRugby84

Chris McKivat (8)
The afl do love money & it doesn't get used between mid sep & late nov as it is unless they can get a big concert. so a RWC might be right in there window of cashing in. However the chances of the stands ever being retracted in & out are long gone.

Back to the original point on Adelaide. How good would a 25 deg evening at the AO be with that section out the back open for after the game be! I can taste the coopers now
I quite like Coopers beer, had that a lot since I moved here.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)

Except it's a world cup, so the options are Heineken and Heineken.

Went to Ireland v Argentina in Adelaide in 03, was great atmosphere standing on the hill watching the game. Ticket only cost $10 and my dad and I drove over for the weekend, didn't bother going to Wallabies on the Sat thankfully. Was the 140-0 game

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I object to stadium Australia on principle of them scrapping the decision to redevelop it as a rectangular stadium.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I object to stadium Australia on principle of them scrapping the decision to redevelop it as a rectangular stadium.

I wonder if Australia getting the RWC in 2027 (which will be known in May next year) would prompt them to reconsider it? Certainly plenty of time for the renovation. Would also make sense to do it once the new SFS is open.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I wonder if Australia getting the RWC in 2027 (which will be known in May next year) would prompt them to reconsider it? Certainly plenty of time for the renovation. Would also make sense to do it once the new SFS is open.

they also have the FIFA womens World Cup I’m 2023 and Stadium Australia has been booked to host 4 finals games including the Grand Final.

So assuming 3 year construction time frame it could still occur but doubt it.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Except it's a world cup, so the options are Heineken and Heineken.

Went to Ireland v Argentina in Adelaide in 03, was great atmosphere standing on the hill watching the game. Ticket only cost $10 and my dad and I drove over for the weekend, didn't bother going to Wallabies on the Sat thankfully. Was the 140-0 game

Heineken good enough for me.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Its the worst stadium in the southern hemisphere. Need a telescope to see anything and its 45 minutes from any part of Sydney worth being in.

AdelaideRugby84

Chris McKivat (8)
Its the worst stadium in the southern hemisphere. Need a telescope to see anything and its 45 minutes from any part of Sydney worth being in.
That was always the beef I had with the former Carr NSW Labor government building Sydney Olympic Park in the middle of buggery.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Well NSW just announced a $300million upgrade of Penrith stadium, that all but rules out a Stadium Australia upgrade.
Reports are that Stadium Australia will miss out on a full makeover but receive a retractable roof

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Money allocated for upgrading to a rectangular pitch has been redistributed to rebuild local NRL stadiums

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
The 2003 RWC is surely a pretty good guide.

Two quarter finals each at Docklands and Lang Park.

Semi finals at Stadium Australia and Lang Park.

Final and 3rd vs 4th at Stadium Australia.

You could certainly see the new Perth Stadium figuring somewhere in there plus potentially the new Sydney Football Stadium for a quarter final.

I think you'd get very short odds of the final being at Stadium Australia.
Although it is now 27 years old and a dump