• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Bid for 2027 World Cup

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
2026 Comm Games hasn’t been awarded, but as mentioned above it’s one of the events they’re looking to attract.

disagree on RWC 7s vs Comm Games, the last Comm Games 7s held in Australia have been very popular on the back of the hype generated by the Comm Games

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Less competitive sides & the RA doesn't get a cent out of it.

I honestly think it will end up in the north prob Edinburgh but if the nsw govt. still want there 10 world cups in 10 years its still up there for the taking

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Is there really much difference in the final outcome? Every single winner of the RWC 7s in both Mens and Womens since 1993 has been a commonwealth side. Since 1993 there has only 2 RWC 7s Grand Finals contested which weren‘t an all Commonwealth affair.

RA actually get a lot of value out of the Comm Games 7s, both indirectly and directly. Like the Olympics its not about the cents provided directly back to the organisation, it’s about free marketing, additional exposure and access to AIS and State Academy of Sports funding. QAS is a big backer of the 7s program in Queensland because of the Commonwealth and Olympic Games participation, i’m sure its the same in other states.

There’ also the story that the QLD Premier attending the 2018 Comm Games 7s final is what convinced her to invest $15million in the Ballymore upgrade for the Wallaroos.

Not discarding the 7s RWC, i think its good for non-commonwealth countries just making the poit that its stupid in having both the Comm Games and 7s RWC in the same year.

Last edited:

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
i don’t see the point to be honest, especially in having the Word Cup and Commonwealth Games in the same year.

WR (World Rugby) could do a much better alignment of major tournaments if they’re going to persevere with all 3
Its really hard to plan at the moment, thanks to Covid19.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
What about Belfast? 672k against Cork's 210k. Even bigger than Dublin's 555k.

Don't forget, Bh, both rugby and cricket are all Ireland sports.
Belfast's biggest rugby stadium holds 12,000. There is a soccer stadium that holds 18,000.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Its really hard to plan at the moment, thanks to

The current scheduling of tournaments such as 7s RWC and Comm Games out to 2026 was set pre-COVID. Ignoring the impact of COVID, WR (World Rugby) could have done a better alignment of 7s tournament cycles so the seasons flow a bit better and don’t clash.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Or Perth and Brisbane for QF's and Sydney for SF & Final.

Maybe Brisbane for the bronze final?

I think logistically there needs to be 2 QF's for each venue and the SF's also need to be at the same venue or city, supporters can't be trying to change their flights and tickets depending on pool results.
I think before RA decides where games are played, they should seek assurances that the actual playing field surfaces are of a good standard for rugby, too many fields in Australia are probably not suitable for rugby union. We have all seen them cut up when there are scrums etc, and I personally think even Suncorp which must be one of great viewing gorunds in world is barely at level required.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think before RA decides where games are played, they should seek assurances that the actual playing field surfaces are of a good standard for rugby, too many fields in Australia are probably not suitable for rugby union.
I have had a bit to do with the problems of managing turf surfaces (as an observer, not as an expert). Lots of variables, of course. But I suspect that the only way to guarantee good surfaces for scrums would be to go for artificial surfaces.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
If Rugby Australia are smart they'll schedule Australia's toughest pool game and their semi final match at Suncorp. It's clearly the stadium where the wallabies play their best footy historically. Plus it clearly won't get the nod for the Grand Final (despite being our best rugby stadium).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I have had a bit to do with the problems of managing turf surfaces (as an observer, not as an expert). Lots of variables, of course. But I suspect that the only way to guarantee good surfaces for scrums would be to go for artificial surfaces.
I wonder that too mate, but haven't seen same problem in NZ stadiums, so wondered if just maybe it was a concious effort as most stadiums are used for rugby, and not league etc? Just all guesswork, as I know bugger all.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I wonder that too mate, but haven't seen same problem in NZ stadiums, so wondered if just maybe it was a concious effort as most stadiums are used for rugby, and not league etc? Just all guesswork, as I know bugger all.

They main issue with Suncorp over the last 2 years has been over use. Yes there will be a 2nd Nrl team come 2023 but at least there will not be an entire comp in Brisbane

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
They main issue with Suncorp over the last 2 years has been over use. Yes there will be a 2nd Nrl team come 2023 but at least there will not be an entire comp in Brisbane
Yep, I been going to Suncorp for years (for rugby), and unfortunately is has always been a problem. By no means a huge one or anything , but I have commented on it before, and I really think it because it not seen as a problem because not a lot of games there, but there would be very few games I been to when they not trying to do repairs at halftime.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Probably also influenced by the second and third largest cities in Wales being either an hour away (Swansea) or half an hour away (Newport).

The second largest city in Ireland (Cork) has 1/5 the population of Dublin.
Munster barely play in Cork, Thomond Park is in Limerick.

Ireland most recent game there was the BaBas in 2015.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yep, I been going to Suncorp for years (for rugby), and unfortunately is has always been a problem. By no means a huge one or anything , but I have commented on it before, and I really think it because it not seen as a problem because not a lot of games there, but there would be very few games I been to when they not trying to do repairs at halftime.

I think Suncorp's big issue is that it remains the outdoor concert venue of choice for the region. Those stages cause the most damage

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Umm...that's the Belfast metro area not the city which is 341k. Dublin's metro area is around 1.5m.
Correct, when you consider Ireland, within a hour of Dublin you could be half way across the country. A day trip to a game is possible from pretty much everywhere. Although the biggest issue for fans is tickets, given out to clubs first with very limited sales to the public. It's why nearly every game in Dublin is a sell out. It took a lot of help to get a ticket to Ireland v Wallabies in 2005 when I was living in Dublin, only ended up getting a ticket the morning of the game.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Correct, when you consider Ireland, within a hour of Dublin you could be half way across the country. A day trip to a game is possible from pretty much everywhere. Although the biggest issue for fans is tickets, given out to clubs first with very limited sales to the public. It's why nearly every game in Dublin is a sell out. It took a lot of help to get a ticket to Ireland v Wallabies in 2005 when I was living in Dublin, only ended up getting a ticket the morning of the game.

It's something many seem to not quite appreciate particularly living in a country where travelling similar distances from Sydney would only get you to Newcastle. It's less than two hours from Dublin to Belfast. Dublin to Galway. A touch over 2. My sister was over their in 2018 and fell ill in Galway. One call and a little over 2 hours later my aunt and uncle had her in their car on the way back to Dublin. There's very few locations that aren't day trips from my experience.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
It's something many seem to not quite appreciate particularly living in a country where travelling similar distances from Sydney would only get you to Newcastle. It's less than two hours from Dublin to Belfast. Dublin to Galway. A touch over 2. My sister was over their in 2018 and fell ill in Galway. One call and a little over 2 hours later my aunt and uncle had her in their car on the way back to Dublin. There's very few locations that aren't day trips from my experience.
Yep, when I was living in Cork and going to a match in Limerick it was always return the same day. Would just catch the train, no different then catching a train into Melbourne really time wise.

Was also made the NZ RWC great, could just get transport from town to town. Or it was a short drive to the next destination most of the time. The only real trek I had was Dunedin which I flew to from Rotorua.