• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Bid for 2027 World Cup

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It's great we're getting the 2027 and 2029 RWCs but why have we still not hosted an u20s tournament????
I'm guessing it's because it costs money and doesn't provide much revenue in return, but I'd love to see us host it.

Getting it within a year or so of the world cup right when interest in rugby should be spiking would be ideal, could make for an excellent opportunity to bring crowds through and drive interest in it.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Arguably isn’t suited to Australia either, cost of hosting it nationally would be prohibitive with the operational costs for transporting the teams about.

If they were to host it, it would have to be a regional bid, like the Womens World Cup was proposed for Newcastle region.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Arguably isn’t suited to Australia either, cost of hosting it nationally would be prohibitive with the operational costs for transporting the teams about.

If they were to host it, it would have to be a regional bid, like the Womens World Cup was proposed for Newcastle region.
I think there's a pretty good case for a version of that set in South East Queensland once the Ballymore upgrade is done

Reactions: dru

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm guessing it's because it costs money and doesn't provide much revenue in return, but I'd love to see us host it.

Getting it within a year or so of the world cup right when interest in rugby should be spiking would be ideal, could make for an excellent opportunity to bring crowds through and drive interest in it.
Well, that seems rubbish, why would that apply to Australia and not all the other countries that have hosted it? Some even twice.

World Rugby funds it.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Well, that seems rubbish, why would that apply to Australia and not all the other countries that have hosted it? Some even twice.

World Rugby funds it.

I’m not great with geography but it looks like many of the countries which have hosted it twice, France, Italy and Wales for example, are much more accessible as a whole via automobile or express locomotive.

Whereas hosting games across Australia has a lot more reliance on plane travel, and I assume if it’s an Australian tournament, you’ll have to get teams over to Perth for a few games etc.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

World Rugby funds it.
I think the costs are shared with host nation covering a fair chunk of the operational costs of hosting the tournament.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
I’m not great with geography but it looks like many of the countries which have hosted it twice, France, Italy and Wales for example, are much more accessible as a whole via automobile or express locomotive.

Whereas hosting games across Australia has a lot more reliance on plane travel, and I assume if it’s an Australian tournament, you’ll have to get teams over to Perth for a few games etc.
Pretty sure it's usually hosted in two cities. Last time it ran in Argentina the matches were all at Rosario and Santa Fe, before that 3 in the south of France and the before that two cities in Georgia.

We could quite easily host at Sydney & Newcastle for example.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Pretty sure it's usually hosted in two cities. Last time it ran in Argentina the matches were all at Rosario and Santa Fe, before that 3 in the south of France and the before that two cities in Georgia.

We could quite easily host at Sydney & Newcastle for example.
And if they need a 3rd throw Parra in

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah I'm not copping this excuse that we're too big and travel costs prevent us. It's not hosted all over the country. You could even just do it in Sydney.

When SA hosted, it was purely in Cape Town across 4 stadiums.
When NZ hosted, it was purely in Auckland across 3 stadiums.

You could easily do it at Leichardt, Concord and Parramatta Stadium (or whatever it's called now).

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeah I'm not copping this excuse that we're too big and travel costs prevent us. It's not hosted all over the country. You could even just do it in Sydney.

You could easily do it at Leichardt, Concord and Parramatta Stadium (or whatever it's called now).
Hey mate I don’t think anyone thinks otherwise. A localised version of the tournament would work.

It seems some wires crossed as a poster suggested this per what’s going on with the women’s game and subsequent posts look like you rubbished that idea (correction Adam suggested it but you didn’t reply to that)

I reckon we are all on the same page.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

I think the bigger issue is cost(WR (World Rugby) only fund part) and demand.. If it gets played in May/June, where’s it getting played given NRL/Super Rugby/A League already book a fair chunk of stadiums, and if it’s played in Sydney how many people would realistically come out to watch it?

Last edited:

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think the bigger issue is cost(WR (World Rugby) only fund part) and demand.. If it gets played in May/June, where’s it getting played given NRL/Super Rugby/A League already book a fair chunk of stadiums, and if it’s played in Sydney how many people would realistically come out to watch it?
As a team building thing and trying to keep young fellas in the game. Spending 4 odd weeks overseas together and the memories that creates surely isn't a bad thing either

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I still don't buy this argument that it'll cost us money and that's why we're not bidding or hosting it. Georgia have hosed it, Italy twice (soon to be 3). Wales, NZ, SA, Argentina twice...

Not exactly cashed up unions there, I'm almost certain WR (World Rugby) would fund it entirely given it makes zero money locally (look at the crowds).

It's almost never played at big stadiums except the final, the crowds are practically friends and family of the players only. The games are usually weekdays during the middle of the day. I suggest Leichardt, Concord and Western Sydney Stadium. There are no scheduling conflict concerns - at all.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I still don't buy this argument that it'll cost us money and that's why we're not bidding or hosting it. Georgia have hosed it, Italy twice (soon to be 3). Wales, NZ, SA, Argentina twice...

Not exactly cashed up unions there, I'm almost certain WR (World Rugby) would fund it entirely given it makes zero money locally (look at the crowds).

It's almost never played at big stadiums except the final, the crowds are practically friends and family of the players only. The games are usually weekdays during the middle of the day. I suggest Leichardt, Concord and Western Sydney Stadium. There are no scheduling conflict concerns - at all.
I said It was a combination of cost and demand.

Costs are definitely not covered entirely by World Rugby, there is a cost sharing between WR (World Rugby) and host union, supported by sponsors and government.

I don’t see a great benefit in brining it to Australia to play at Leichhardt/Concord stadium in front of no crowds? Concord Stadium now has West Tigers advertising plastered all over it.

I get why WR (World Rugby) support smaller countries to support it, i think it would be nice for Australian to host but don’t see a tangible benefit of hosting and think it would be lost on Australia in comparison.

Last edited:

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Have you watched any of the u20s tournaments? There's zero crowds. Like I said most of the matches are played from 1pm -> 3:30pm -> 5:30pm on WEEKDAYS.

It makes no money, I'm certain of it.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Have you watched any of the u20s tournaments? There's zero crowds. Like I said most of the matches are played from 1pm -> 3:30pm -> 5:30pm on WEEKDAYS.

It makes no money, I'm certain of it.
Argentina actually had a number of sell-outs. Host union sells tickets, local sponsorship and leverage government grants to cover operational costs. No one said it makes money.

I apologise for been pragmatic towards this, but i honestly don’t see there been the demand or benefit of hosting in Australia? I just think it would be lost in the noise of NRL/Super Rugby/AFL/A-League/State Of Origin?